[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles Chose Mitchell Over Wayne

Shotgun Messiahs

The Philadelphia Daily News reports one of the most famous stories of Eagles HC Andy Reid's tenure is his trip out to UCLA to interview WR Freddie Mitchell before the 2001 draft. They ate at the In-N-Out Burger and toured the Westwood campus. Mitchell - another veteran of a college West Coast scheme - met Reid's sons. "He has the intangibles that you look for," Reid proclaimed after taking Mitchell and leaving WR Reggie Wayne on the board for the Colts at 30th overall. Mitchell, who quickly gained a reputation among teammates for having a mouth that didn't match his game, has caught 90 passes for 1,263 yards and five touchdowns in four seasons.

Just thought I share this.

According to some people, Freddie Mitchell would put up good numbers too because Manning makes everyone better.

785860[/snapback]

What do Torrance Small, Brandon Stokely, Jerome Pathon, Terrence Wilkins, Ken Dilger, Troy Walters, Marcus Pollard, and Marvin Harrison have in common besides having caught passes from Peyton Manning?

They all played with other teams or other QB's, but had their career highs in either receptions, yards, TD's, or a combination of all three when they were playing with Peyton Manning.

In fact, the only WR I can find who did NOT have personal career highs in one of those three categories while playing with Peyton Manning is Qadry Ismail, who played 14 games for the Colts in 2002.

That being said, I don't think even Peyton could help out Freddie Mitchell. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

Wow, ebartender finds no humor in this.  I however think it's hilarious because I dislike the Eagles.

785786[/snapback]

All that he said was that the Eagles made a mistake by picking Mitchell over Wayne. I don't think anyone would argue that now but hindsight is always 20/20. What about the 2002 draft for the Eagles:

#26 Lito Sheppard

#58 Michael Lewis

#59 Sheldon Brown

#91 Brian Westbrook

That is 3 players who made the pro-bowl in their first 2 years and the other one could have arguably made it too. I'd say that is pretty good.

If the burger joint joke was supposed to be funny it may have been 3-4 years ago. I think we all know Reid is fat by now.

According to some people, Freddie Mitchell would put up good numbers too because Manning makes everyone better.

785860[/snapback]

Not that much better. Wayne would be a solid player on any team. Manning is throwing him the ball but he still has to get open and make the receptions. Mitchell has been unable to do either.