[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

policy's mock v3.0

policyvote

1. San Francisco - Alex Smith, QB

The Niners need a franchise player, and Alex Smith is the most physically gifted QB available. If Nolan is smart, this guy won't see the field much his first season; they really need this pick to work out in the long term.

2. Washington (from Miami)- Braylon Edwards, WR

Miami is desperate to trade down, for any price. There are decent second-round corners available, but Coach Gibbs needs deep threats. Everyone makes lots of noise about Gibbs and his Hawgs gobbling up yards, but his later years featured three wides and an attacking vertical game. The 1.9 and 1.25 (plus maybe more) go to Miami for the 1.2. Nick was looking for more, here, but in the end he takes a decent trade rather than overpay for a rookie he's not in love with.

3. Philadelphia (from Cleveland) - Mike Williams, WR

Okay, the Minny trade doesn't make sense. It just doesn't. With Edwards off the board, Minny will sit pat at seven. So, where does that leave poor Cleveland, who needs a QB, WR, LB, etc? That leaves them with Freddie Mitchell, the 1.31, 2.3, and 2.31. Philly gets another WR, gets Freddie "The Mouth" off their team, and Cleveland plugs a bunch of holes.

4. Chicago - Cedric Benson, RB

Lovie Smith may be a defensive coach, and the Bears might need help practically everywhere on the field, but he sees the writing on the wall. NFL coaches don't get four or five years to turn it around anymore, and if Grossman struggles the offense needs someone they can hang their hat on. Da Bears wanted to move down and take this guy after the other two backs were gone, but they would rather pay more to make sure they get the guy they want. Benson, surprisingly, is the first RB off the board.

5. Tampa Bay - Derrick Johnson, LB

Tthis is probably Derrick Brooks' last year in Tampa, and that defense can't fall apart if Gru's offense is going to work. With so much RB talent available late, and Mike Williams off the board, Johnson is the smartest pick here.

6. Dallas (from Tennessee) - Shawne Merriman, DE/OLB

This is the Tuna's boy right here, and with DJ off the board, he can't let him slide through Minnesota, Miami, and Detroit. The 'Boys give up 1.11 and 2.10 for this pick. Not exactly a bonanza, but Tennessee has WAY too many holes to fill not to take the best offer they can get. The Tuna gets his man, just at a little higher price than he thought he'd have to pay.

7. Minnesota (from Oakland) - Troy Williamson, WR

Okay, the Vikes stand pat after all, and get the speed burner they wanted.

8. Arizona - Ronnie Brown, RB

Denny Green is ecstatic to get Brown here. Brown is exactly his type of back, and the Cards get the first legit runner they've had since . . . uh, since . . . uhm . . .

9. Miami (from Washington) - Alex Barron, OT

With all the WRs off the board, their lust object Ronnie Brown gone, Rodgers an unattractive prospect for the Linehan offense, and CB talent available at 25, the Nicktator gets his big, talented LT. He's always made having a dominant LT a recruiting priority, and no matter who is in the backfield, it won't matter unless Miami improves their O-line.

10. Detroit - Antrell Rolle, CB

Party time in Allen Park. This is the guy they want above all others, and out of sheer, blind, stupid luck he falls. He's ready to step in if Bryant falters, he's depth in case the injury reaper fells Bryant or Bly again, and he can even switch over to FS if Holt can't get it done. He's big, fast, tough, and all sorts of Millen. I'm hearing that if Rolle was gone here too, the Lions would probably take Pollack, or work a trade down.

11. Tennessee (from Dallas) - Pacman Jones, CB

This is the guy the Titans are all over, he's their #1 player at their #1 need. To trade down and get him anyway is gravy.

12. San Diego - Erasmus James, DE

Poor Bolts don't get any WR play in this version, but there are plenty of good defenders left. They take the best rush end available, James. There are several different ways the Bolts could go here, but James is a (fairly) safe pick at a need spot.

13. Houston - Cadillac Williams, RB

With all RBs and Barron off the board, Houston turns to its next biggest need, a pass rush. Pollack is really well suited to this role, and should flourish under Capers.

14. Carolina - Aaron Rodgers, QB

This is the hardest pick in the first round to project. There are any number of ways the Pathers could go, but with no stud interior lineman I think they take the best offensive player available.

15. Kansas City - Thomas Davis, S

The Surtain thing is not happening before the draft, but it makes too much sense for both sides not to get it done. I'm hearing they like this kid, and a hitter this athletic would really let Gunther play with the front seven, not just sit the whole defense back on its heels, trying to stop the bleeding.

16. New Orleans - Travis Johnson, DT

Worthlessness, thy name is Johnathon Sullivan.

17. Cincinnati - David Pollack, DE/OLB

They need an edge rusher with a motor, and Pollack is certianly that. A nice guy, or a can't-miss prospect, he certainly isn't, but the Bengals take the best edge rusher they can get here.

18. Minnesota - Marcus Spears, DE

What a great complement to Keneze Udeche. After this pick, Minnesota has to have one of the most talented DLs in football.

19. St. Louis - Jammal Brown, OT

A need pick. Brown gives them beef at the right tackle spot. As I said in version 1.0, without the wall up front opening holes and keeping heat off the QB, Martz's "Max Q" offense has been more like "Adequate Q" or "Marginal Q".

20. Dallas - Khalif Barnes, OT

They lost their second-rounder, but they still got their guys--pass rushing OLB with size, LT with beef who can play RT.

21. Jacksonville - Mark Clayton, WR

Everybody's on this guy as a sleeper to move up, but there are three WR ahead of him, and the only teams that need WR above Jacksonville have bigger needs and/or better players to fill them with. They were expecting huge things from Reggie Williams, and Jimmy Smith is old enough that they need to draft a WR whether Williams pans out or not.

22. Baltimore - Dan Cody, DE

Okay, now Spears is gone again, Cody is the most interesting DL prospect. If anybody can deal with his mental issues and motivate him into reaching his potential, it's the Ravens staff and locker room leadership.

23. Seattle - Demarcus Ware, DE/OLB

Seattle needs an edge presence, and whether that comes from the end spot or the OLB spot, it doesn't really matter. Ware will provide nice flexibility, depth, and effectiveness in situational duty right away.

24. Green Bay- Brodney Pool, S

With Davis now gone, the Pack go for the next best player at a positiong they need all kinds of help at. It just so happens that Pool is a very talented and interesting prospect, whose stock is rising dramatically.

25. Miami (from Denver through Washington) - Fabian Washington, CB

Puts the final stamp of "GONE" on Surtain.

26. Oakland (from Manhattan) - Matt Jones, Jack of All Trades

Okay, Da Ray-duhs just dealt one cornerback, and they're trying desperately to deal the other. That means a corner, here, right? Right? WRONG!! This is AL freaking DAVIS, people! The man who saw James Jett run in the Oylmpics and said, "Pro Bowl!" You think he's going to pass up a 6'-6" guy with 4.4 speed? NO WAY.

27. Atlanta - Travis Johnson

The Falcons need DL help, and Johnson is the best value left on the board here. I coud also see Shaun Cody or Roddy White.

28. San Diego - Roddy White, WR

Der SchottenBoltzen got their DE earlier, now they get their tall deep threat in White. SD and Dallas both seem to come up roses in this draft, no matter what happens around them.

29. Indianapolis - Channing Crowder, LB

Dungy hasn't had the linebackers to run his scheme to its fullest since he left Tampa Bay. Crowder helps that defense in a big, big way.

30. Pittsburgh - Fabian Washington, CB

Pittsburgh has to be able to stop Indy and New England if they want to make it to the top, and somehow I don't see either of those teams slowing it down anytime soon. Washington gives the Steelers legit speed on the outside.

31. Cleveland - Charlie Frye, QB

Local Boy Makes Good. Cleveland fans don't need another overhyped 'franchise' QB to be anointed savior, paid millions of their dollars and then thrown to the wolves. What they need is a QB with skills who can be properly mentored, and Frye fits that bill just fine. Cleveland attended Frye's workout AND invited Frye to work out at their facility later . . .

32. New England - Barrett Ruud, LB

They need an LB, and I'm now agreeing with the opinion that Ruud fits the "Pats mold" better than Blackstock.

Okay, barring any more last-second trades, this is my final mock. This is the hardest draft in years to forecast, because lots of good players keep sliding. If the Niners take Smith, Rodgers will PLUMMET. I keep seeing one of the top backs fall as well.

I'll take a lot of heat for the Williamson pick, but when Edwards is off the board, Minny will go into full-time panic mode. They aren't that interested in Williams, and they have no need for a corner. If Cleveland or Chicago take Mike Williams, both Tampa and Tennessee would have to look hard at Williamson . . Tampa isn't looking to move down and miss out on a WR, and I think the Titans take the deal with Dallas first.

Let the flames begin!

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

That would be very disappointing to move up to take Williamson when they should be doing the opposite. I don't think that he's a finished product and shouldn't be considered that early. If other teams want him that bad than they should take him.

That would be very disappointing to move up to take Williamson when they should be doing the opposite.  I don't think that he's a finished product and shouldn't be considered that early.  If other teams want him that bad than they should take him.

789996[/snapback]

I knew I would take heat for that, and I'm probably wrong. But Minny backed themselves into a corner, and if they miss out on Edwards AND Williamson they're going to be stuck; and from everything I'm hearing they're not going to be able to trade down and still get Williamson. They can stand pat and get the best of EITHER Williams OR Williamson, but from what I hear they'd much rather have Williamson.

Besides, NO wide reciever is a "finished product" unless they're never going to get any better . . . like Randy Moss. :P

Peace

policy

That would be very disappointing to move up to take Williamson when they should be doing the opposite.  I don't think that he's a finished product and shouldn't be considered that early.  If other teams want him that bad than they should take him.

789996[/snapback]

agreed. hell, if they take him at seven that seems too early. I know on the espn mock last night they were all gushing over him though.

23. Seattle - Demarcus Ware, DE/OLB

Seattle needs an edge presence, and whether that comes from the end spot or the OLB spot, it doesn't really matter. Ware will provide nice flexibility, depth, and effectiveness in situational duty right away.

That works :D

agreed. hell, if they take him at seven that seems too early. I know on the espn mock last night they were all gushing over him though.

790033[/snapback]

That's the thing to keep in mind. Remember, a lot of these trades are bandied about for weeks, but only consummated on draft day. I think the Washington/Miami trade is done as soon as Smith's name is announced, and then Edwards is off the board. The Vikes may in fact stand pat, and take BPA at 1.7. But if they do in fact have the man-love for Williamson, and are in fact not interested in Williams, they'll have to move up to get him for sure.

Peace

policy

It may happen but I don't know how the Texans can pass on Alex Barron. That guy will be a franchise tackle for years to come. Bowden and several other coaches here at FSU have more than once said that he is the best lineman to come ouy of here. That is saying alot since Walter Jones and Tra Thomas(both recent probowlers) are both alum. I think Barron would be a top 3 pick if we had a decent oline coach last year. Fortunately, Heggins was fired and replaced by Mark McHale who is also supposed to be the new oc in all except name.

In last night's ESPN mock they had the Pack taking Travis Johnson.  I forget which "expert" had that pick but the justification was that both safety prospects were already gone and there weren't any LBs left worthy of going that high.

Thoughts?

790139[/snapback]

They probably don't think a guy like Blackstock is worthy of that pick, but I would disagree. Plus, I don't think Johnson will be on the board at #24.

Taking this down temporarily to correct a few boo-boos . . .

789991[/snapback]

Policy looks to have dropped knowlege...only problem is that it rolled directly under the center of the car and is not easilly reached by any side. :oldrazz:

Edited by Duchess Jack

In last night's ESPN mock they had a whole bunch of stupid crappy picks that didn't make any darn sense

790139[/snapback]

Clayton had Miami taking Rodgers at 1.2, which screwed up everything after that. Even Pasquarelli thought that was boneheaded, and said so during the mock. For ESPN's Big OFficial Mock Draft, it sure seemed like those two had done zero preparation and pulled it totally out of their butts. I wouldn't try to analyze ANYTHING from that mock.

Peace

policy

Policy looks to have dropped knowlege...only problem is that it rolled directly under the center of the car and is not easilly reached by any side. :oldrazz:

790143[/snapback]

LOL, nice. For as much time as I spent on this . . . I really screwed the proverbial pooch.

Peace

policy

Knowing how the Eagles operate I can't see them trading up that far to get a WR. Unless they really believe T.O. will not play next season. I would like to see them move up and add depth for the D-Line or grab a solid LB. I would even like to see them get a RB if one falls enough. But I guess that is the beauty of this whole thing, you never know until the next pick is due. Unless you are the Vikings of course. Then you don't even know when the pick is due.

I've got the Redskins trading up as well, but with SF. Nolan has wanted Rodgers all along, and we all know how nuts Snyder is, and how Gibbs doesnt like Ramsey. Snyder gets his headlines, Gibbs gets his new QB, the 49'ers get Rodgers at 9 and another first round draft pick.

The Browns might trade down, ya never know, but it won't be out of the top 10-15. You just don't give up a blue chiper to go prospecting at the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds, no matter how badly you need bodies. And you couldn't pay me to take Freddie Mitchell. If he changes teams this off-season, it will be as a free agent when he gets cut.

I think that Williamson will go to the Vikes at #7, even if Williams is still on the board.

I don't see the Cowboys trading up unless the run on DE starts with another team around #6. They'll wait it out at #11 for Ware, Merriman, or Spears to fall to them. They may try to trade out of the #20 pick though, in hopes of picking up an extra third rounder, where they would look for safety help. If they do choose at #20, I expect it will be for a WR. I think they've given up on trying to convert LT's into RT's, considering the failed Jacob Rogers' experiment last year.

Good effort on the mock.

Edited by General Itals

The Browns might trade down, ya never know, but it won't be out of the top 10-15.  You just don't give up a blue chiper to go prospecting at the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds, no matter how badly you need bodies.  And you couldn't pay me to take Freddie Mitchell.  If he changes teams this off-season, it will be as a free agent when he gets cut.

I think that Williamson will go to the Vikes at #7, even if Williams is still on the board. 

I don't see the Cowboys trading up unless the run on DE starts with another team around #6.  They'll wait it out at #11 for Ware, Merriman, or Spears to fall to them.  They may try to trade out of the #20 pick though, in hopes of picking up an extra third rounder, where they would look for safety help. If they do choose at #20, I expect it will be  for a WR.  I think they've given up on trying to convert LT's into RT's, considering the failed Jacob Rogers' experiment last year.

Good effort on the mock.

790437[/snapback]

I agree with all of this. I like the boldness of the Philly/Cleveland prediction, but they simply don't have enough ammo to move up that high.

LOL, nice.  For as much time as I spent on this . . . I really screwed the proverbial pooch.

Peace

policy

790170[/snapback]

No worries policy.....as Lions fans we know the outcome of most 'best laid plans'.

"We've got to open up the offense and go downfield more." Of course in Mooch speak last year that meant a 4 yard out to Streets as opposed to the generally used 3 yard out!! This is the year tough!!! It has to be! I'm moving to AZ in a month so it would only make sense that the Lions put it all together AFTER I move!