[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IDP players

I know it's early. And I know middle linebacker for the Colts hasn't been a big producer, but here is the latest. With the Colts allowing Rob Morris to walk away as a free agent, it was expected they would take a linebacker in the draft. So of course, with their first six picks, Indianapolis went CB, CB, DT, G, S, DE, before finally taking a linebacker. In the fifth round, with the 173rd pick, the Colts selected Tyjuan Hagler, LB, Cincinnati. Surprisingly, Bill Polian made it sound that he will be given every chance to be the Colts starting middle linebacker. The only other MLB on the roster is Gary Brackett, who has been an undersized backup for several years. Polian also mentioned that it was possible that Gilbert Gardner, an outside linebacker from Purdue drafted in the third round last year, may be moved to compete for the position.

In other news, Tony Dungy said that they would not experiment with moving DE Robert Mathis to linebacker. They did not want to lose the production (10.5 sacks) they had from him last year. Also, Donald Strickland will not make the move to safety, but will compete for the starting CB spot he lost after missing most of last year with a shoulder injury that required surgery.

Edited by CaptainHook

Seems to me Thornton would make a better MLB than anyone else they have on their roster. What is their cap situation? Could it be possible they still plan to add a FA to the mix?

Seems to me Thornton would make a better MLB than anyone else they have on their roster. What is their cap situation? Could it be possible they still plan to add a FA to the mix?

801400[/snapback]

Thornton is really more suited for an outside linebacker, IMO. I doubt they go for a free agent. It's not the Colts style. Plenty of cap space, but they prefer to build from within.

Thornton is really more suited for an outside linebacker, IMO.  I doubt they go for a free agent.  It's not the Colts style.  Plenty of cap space, but they prefer to build from within.

801980[/snapback]

Hey, Captain, will Thornton stay on the strong side and Cato on the weak this year?

Hey, Captain, will Thornton stay on the strong side and Cato on the weak this year?

802798[/snapback]

That is the current depth chart. But I think Gilbert Gardner sneaks in at either middle or weak-side linebacker by the time the season starts.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, stick a fork in Tyjuan Hagler. Sports hernia. He's done for three months. In the Colts experience with these things, Joseph Jefferson and Ben Utecht had sports hernia operations, and they both missed entire seasons. Gary Brackett is currently still the starter. Kendyll Pope, a 2004 fourth rounder from FSU, reportedly had some work a MLB during summer camp. So did Dominique Sims a rookie free agent. Dungy is reportedly considering bringing in some depth. Possibly Rob Morris?????

Feel free to move this to the IDP forum.