[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yankees Collapsing

Rovers

The Yankees finally look like a team that can't win anymore. Randy Johnson about to land on the DL, Kevin Brown is a nightmare, Bernie Williams can't hit anymore, and ARod ruined the whatever clubhouse chemistry they might have had. Rivera is on the down slope. Giambi can't hit without roid injections. Tino Matinez is washed up. Tony Womack is the new CF? :D They have no bullpen.

The Orioles are they new powerhouse in the AL East. Boston is in deep kimchee, and could be looking at another 100 year drought.

The Yankee fans in NY are spontaniously combusting. Heads exploding right out there in the streets. It's a good time to visit NYC. :D

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's May......let's recall this post in Sept!

801611[/snapback]

I believe the Yankees will definitely turn it around.

And I hope I'm wrong... :D

Even if their entire team gets hurt or slumps... they can always just buy a new one before the season is over. :D

Another terrible beating for the hated Yankees tonight at the hands of Tampa Bay 11-4. :D:D

And another dreadful outing for Brown, 5IP, 13H, 8ER for an ERA of 14.40.

He'd be better off punching a wall......and so would the Yankees.

I am not a Yankee hater, by any means. I was at Mickey Mantle day in the Bronx oh so many years ago, sitting in the first row of the left field bleachers above the auxillary scoreboard. I'll never forget how my hands swelled up from clapping for 15 minutes. But....I am a Yankee fan hater! :D I've been waiting for a year like this one for a long time. The nucleus of the team is falling apart. The starting pitching is bad. Tony Womack to play left? :D Paul O'Niel is gone. Tino is back, but can't hit. His teamates hate A-Rod. Looks like age is catching up with Randy, and just at the right time. Mussina looks pedestrian. Brown looks.... brown. Did Rodger ever return that Hummer? :doah: :D

As a Sox fan, I agree that the Yanks look like garbage and I love it.

Not sure that I agree that BALT is a "powerhouse" at all, as their pitching is bound to falter at some point. They should post a nice record if Lopez and Bedard keep throwing the way they have been (these guys aren't exactly proven yet), but Ponson and Chen are mediocre at best.

Assuming "kimchee" means what I think it does, I'm not sure where that's coming from. The Sox are 4 games over .500 WITHOUT their #1 and #2 starting pitchers. Wade Miller comes back this week and once Schil is healthy again, their pitching staff will be looking very nice indeed. Foulke seems to have stablized a bit (after some scary-bad outings) as well. Sox will be fine and, I would think, have to be the favorite to take the AL East.

The Orioles comment was somewaht tongue in cheek, but the Shilling thing is a serious problem, in my mind, for the BoSox. But, back to the point of this thread:

Tino Martinez and Axel-Rod just erroored away a game against the A's.... then Rivera walked in another run, all in the top of the tenth in the Bronx! And the Mets are up 7-3! There is Joy and happiness reigning upon me! :D Now, if only Stienblabbers horse loses the Derby tomorrow...... :D:D:D he'll fire Mel Stottlemeyer first thing Monday morning! and Torre will go to war with the turtlenecked beast! :D

I'm proud to say the Royals are only spending $35 million to suck ass.

805834[/snapback]

Yes, and with profit sharing and luxury taxes the Yankees are probably paying for most of it. That in a nutshell is why the Yankees are a good thing. Without the money the Yankees give small market teams, you would have no Royals and there would be no Cinderella teams like the Twins. Your second favorite team should be the Yankees. Without them, you would have no team to root for.

Yes, and with profit sharing and luxury taxes the Yankees are probably paying for most of it.  That in a nutshell is why the Yankees are a good thing.  Without the money the Yankees give small market teams, you would have no Royals and there would be no Cinderella teams like the Twins.  Your second favorite team should be the Yankees.  Without them, you would have no team to root for.

806472[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but I don't think the Yankees et al are "good" for baseball. And the amount the Yankees give to small market teams is a pittance compared to what they can afford.

And I understand they are in a bigger market, and I will even argue they don't owe anybody anything. This issue is a major league baseball issue, not a Yankees issue.

And furthermore, I won't be "thanking" the Yankees any time soon for helping to create the mess in the first place.

In addition, you have it all wrong. Without the small market teams, MLB couldn't exist, because you need teams in these markets to promote baseball countrywide. The Yankees et al don't exist to provide "us small market cities" with baseball: we exist to provide "all" of baseball an opportunity to succeed.

Edited by Chief Dick

Chief Dick, you must understand that the Dirty is a Yankee fan. Since his team now sucks, he has to find some other reason to pronounce thier "goodness". Just goes to show how low the Yankees and thier fans have now sunk. After jacking up MLB salaries to ridiculous levels, they will now tell everyone how they have saved the sport! :D Aw, I love to hear Yankee fans talk these days! :D

Chief Dick, you must understand that the Dirty is a Yankee fan. Since his team now sucks, he has to find some other reason to pronounce thier "goodness". Just goes to show how low the Yankees and thier fans have now sunk. After jacking up MLB salaries to ridiculous levels, they will now tell everyone how they have saved the sport!  :D  Aw, I love to hear Yankee fans talk these days!  :D

806533[/snapback]

Yeah, I forgot, the Yankees are the ones that originally gave A-Rod and Kevin Brown those obscene contracts. The Rangers and Dodgers are both better off without them and they should be happy they gave those contracts to the Yankees. Sure the Yankees have a huge payroll, but they have taken on some contracts from trades that these other teams made the mistake of giving in the 1st place. And let's not forget the Yankees are getting A-Rod at a huge bargain since the Rangers are still paying a buttload of his contract.

Yep, yer right Dirty.... that $245,000,000 payroll is really pretty modest. Good thing Stienblabbers horse won yesterd.... oh wait. He lost. Just like the Yankees most of the time. I guess Mel is going to be the one set out to pasture now! and Torre wil be doin' the Whinining Yankee song! Wait.... maybe I spoke too soon.... the just beat the A's twice in a row! :D It's a whole new season now!

Yankee Hater #1: Isn't it great that the Yankees stink so bad with that huge payroll?

Yankee Hater #2: It's fantastic, I love it.

YH#1: Think about it, 2005 will be the 5th year in a row that the Yankees payroll will be over $100Million, and 5 years in a row that they don't win the Series.

YH#2: Only 5 years? That's right, they weren't over $100M in 2000. But then, is it possible that its really not all about payroll?

YH#1: Well, if it's not all about payroll, then where we wrong when we kept whining about them buying championships?

YH#2: What are you saying? That winning 4 out of 5 titles in this free agency era, when anyone from the big market Yankees to the small market Marlins can win was one of the greatest accomplishments we've ever seen?

YH#1: No, can't be. They sign big money free agents, that's just wrong and not fair. Turn on the game.

YH#2: Yeah, Beltran just homered and Pedro is pitching a shutout. Let's go Mets!

Yankee Hater #3: They've had the highest payroll in MLB 11 of the last 12 years (1998 being the only exception) - the fact that they haven't won a championship in 5 years just says to me that they're not spending very wisely anymore (take a look at some of the terrible contracts they've signed in the last 5 years).

When a team wins 4 titles in that span, I think it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that the money had a lot to do with it. I have no problem with an owner spending whatever he wants on a team - it's his dollar . . . but don't act like the Yankees' success over the past 10 years wasn't hugely correlated to the fact that they've had the highest payroll (or the 2nd highest in 98 - poor Baltimore) year in and year out.

On your Mets' point - yes, the Mets acquired 2 big name this year (while the Yanks, incidentally, got 3). The difference is that they haven't been doing this every year for the last decade. Other teams have tried to do what the Yanks do (i.e. buying up the biggest FA names), but you'll note that they just haven't had the money to keep it up year to year - that's what separates the Yanks from everyone else.

Edited by Balzac

YH#4: Why didn't we start complaining about the Yankees payroll when it was the highest? We didn't start complaining until they started winning.

Remember when A-Rod was a free agent, and the only teams that could afford him were the Mets, Yankees and Dodgers? He signed with Texas. Ditto Mike Hampton, he signed with the Rockies. The Angels win the World Series in 2002, then don't in 2003, so they go out and sign Vlad and Colon, and no one seems to care... did their market just get bigger all of a sudden? The Detroit Red Wings (if anyone remembers them) were one of the biggest spenders in the NHL. Does the Detroit market shrink during the summer?

Of course the Yankees finances helped keep the team together, but the core of those titles was Pettite, Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Mariano Rivera. That's not buying championships, that's home grown talent. Sure, did they all get big fat raises as the years went on? Of course they did. They deserved them, they're 4-time champions. The fact that the Yankees chose to match the contract that the Red Sox offered Bernie, or that the Yankees had to give Jeter a big contract after the A-Rod signing... sure, their revenue helped do that. Actually, was Mike Stanton the biggest free agent acquisition that won any titles during that span? I guess Cecil Fielder was in there somewhere.

But how many times do the small payroll A's and Twins need to win their divisions before people will stop complaining?

Sorry for going off in so many directions there...

Edited by LegFuJohnson

The reason the Mets didnt sign Axel Rod were based on his absolutely ridiculous demands prior to his signing with Texas. Now, he is a Yankee, and a Yankee that his teamates clearly don't like. They have left him out to dry time and again, when the heat was on. He, more than anything else, is the reason the Yankees are in disarray. Now, the tower begins to crumble. The firings will begin this week. Cashman or Mel, take yer pick. Yea, the Yankees just won 2 games in a row. Both shutouts. But against the pathetic A's. The yankees won't sniff .500 this year! And, it is fun to watch!

Yes, I heard that A-Rod is the reason that Kevin Brown has stunk, and Randy Johnson is injured.

If I wasn't a fan, I'd love to watch the Yankees lose too. Just hate them for the right reason. They've won 26 titles, and a bunch within the last 10 years. Same reason people hate Duke, hate the Cowboys or Patriots, Lakers... just simple jealousy. It's OK, it really is.

Edited by LegFuJohnson

I can't speak for the others who hate them - maybe it is simple jealousy on their part - I don't know. I don't even hate the team (except for ARod) - it's the fans and their (in many cases, obviously not all) superiority complexes. I find it ridiculously annoying b/c there really shouldn't be much pride in beating everyone else when you're spending more money than anyone else.

Let's analogize - let's say you (the Yankees) and I (any small market team) were to race, each in a car of our choosing. I've only got $15K to spend on a car, so I bring my Pontiac Grand Am. You, on the other hand, have $65K, so you bring your suped-up Corvette. Is there a chance that I could still beat you? Sure - maybe I'm a better driver, maybe I have the better pit crew (i.e. team chemistry) or maybe you just have a lemon . . . but the fact remains - you have a MUCH better chance at winning simply b/c you had more money to spend than I did. Does that seem fair to you? Moreover, should you be proud that you won as a result? This is what pisses people off.

It just seems anti-climactic to me - while teams are bound to pop up now and again that can win w/o big payrolls (e.g. the Marlins), we all know who the competitive teams will be from year to year - the ones with the deepest pockets.

Edited by Balzac

You wouldn't root so hard for Luke Skywalker if the Emperor weren't so dang hateable. Rich? Powerful? Evil? Soulless? You bet.

Thank you Yankees, for making me such a Red Sox fan.

Everyone expects the Yankees to win, so it's worthless to be a fan in my opinion. You win? So what... everyone expected it. You lose? Hahahahaha.... dumbasses.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Good thing Stienblabbers horse won yesterd.... oh wait.  He lost.

The yankees won't sniff .500 this year!

806627[/snapback]

I could give two shits if Steinbrenner's horse won the race or not. Unless his horse can throw a 95mph fastball, I hope he has a nice trip to the glue factory.

That second comment is just lunacy. You're an old man and I don't think you're playing with a full deck some of the time. Come on, Rover, the season is a month old. You may jump off the bandwagon for your teams when they start slow, but I am not all that concerned yet. There is a long way to go.

Let's analogize - let's say you (the Yankees) and I (any small market team) were to race, each in a car of our choosing.  I've only got $15K to spend on a car, so I bring my Pontiac Grand Am.  You, on the other hand, have $65K, so you bring your suped-up Corvette.  Is there a chance that I could still beat you?  Sure - maybe I'm a better driver, maybe I have the better pit crew (i.e. team chemistry) or maybe you just have a lemon . . . but the fact remains - you have a MUCH better chance at winning simply b/c you had more money to spend than I did.  Does that seem fair to you?  Moreover, should you be proud that you won as a result?  This is what pisses people off. 

It just seems anti-climactic to me - while teams are bound to pop up now and again that can win w/o big payrolls (e.g. the Marlins), we all know who the competitive teams will be from year to year - the ones with the deepest pockets.

806842[/snapback]

Using this analogy... what if your team owner has money to spend, just chooses not to? Maybe spending some extra money on the car (which he has), would lead to more success, would lead to more fans, would lead to more sponsorship deals, would lead to more revenue... and then you can spend even more money on the car. The Twins owner (for example) is one of the richest guys in the country.

Saying its anti-climatic is just another way to express jealousy (or respect if you want to admit it). I found it anti-climatic to watch the Patriots win the SuperBowl again this year. They were the clearly the better team, so they won. Should the fans be proud? Of course they should.

So, are you saying that a Mets fan shouldn't be proud if they get to the series? They've got the highest payroll in the NL. And I think they have for some time. That's why they've been so competitive year after year.

The Sox shouldn't be proud if they repeat? Take out the Yankees (since they stink so bad, obviously not a factor), and the Sox have the highest payroll. It's not a commendable accomplishment if they win again? Of course it is. Will everyone else in the country be rooting against them? Of course they will. People hate the champs. It's just jealousy, and they'll come up with something to complain about.

Edited by LegFuJohnson