[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yankees Collapsing

Rovers

the farm system is bare

885074[/snapback]

It may not be what it once was, but you can't tell me they aren't producing quality players from the farm system nowadays. Robinson Cano is a stud and Wang was probably the Yankees most consistent pitcher before he went on the DL.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have been a Astros fan all of my life if that gives you any idea of my frustration level.  I just wish they could have signed Beltran, resigned Kent, Wagner, W. Miller, etc... Not enough cash though if you're not one of the top 2-3 markets.   :D

885116[/snapback]

Didn't take long for people to pull out that one. No one cared about the payroll while they were struggling, now they're back in first (for now) and its back to the whining.

Nothing personal here... you can re-read the entire thread for my thoughts, don't really need to go through it all again...

But only 2-3 markets can sign free agents now? What's that? LA, NY and Chicago?

Boston can't sign anyone? St. Louis? Philly? Houston can sign players, they made Beltran a huge offer. He didn't take it. But don't make it seem like they couldn't have afforded him. He screwed them by waiting so long, while the other free agents signed elsewhere.

Wade Miller was hurt. And they had Dotel and Lidge, they didn't need Wagner. They thought Burke was ready to take over, so Kent left.

But back on topic, didn't it seem like the grass was greener this morning? Birds singing, like things were right with the world again?

Edited by LegFuJohnson

• 1 month later...

If they continue winning and get up around .560-.570 ball for the rest of the year, I'll be impressed and will gladly eat my words on this.

817886[/snapback]

Just figured it was time to bring that back. Nothing is clinched yet. But those free-spending Indians don't appear to be going away, looks like the division will get decided in Boston, and one of the two highest payrolls in baseball will be watching the playoffs... or maybe the Indians do fade, and that series won't matter, but I doubt it.

And if Cleveland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Houston, or San Diego (Oakland and Philly too, they aren't out of it yet) take care of business, that'll make 6 different champions in 6 years. Really do need a cap to give even that out some more.

The Yankees finally look like a team that can't win anymore. Randy Johnson about to land on the DL, Kevin Brown is a nightmare, Bernie Williams can't hit anymore, and ARod ruined the whatever clubhouse chemistry they might have had. Rivera is on the down slope. Giambi can't hit without roid injections. Tino Matinez is washed up. Tony Womack is the new CF?  :D  They have no bullpen.

The Orioles are they new powerhouse in the AL East. Boston is in deep kimchee, and could be looking at another 100 year drought.

The Yankee fans in NY are spontaniously combusting. Heads exploding right out there in the streets. It's a good time to visit NYC.  :D

801487[/snapback]

Would you like fries with that post?

I went to the Yankee game last night. 50,000 +..When they flashed the Boston score the place went nuts. Its going to be a great race to the finish of the regular season.

Just figured it was time to bring that back.  Nothing is clinched yet.  But those free-spending Indians don't appear to be going away, looks like the division will get decided in Boston, and one of the two highest payrolls in baseball will be watching the playoffs... or maybe the Indians do fade, and that series won't matter, but I doubt it.

And if Cleveland, St. Louis, Atlanta, Houston, or San Diego (Oakland and Philly too, they aren't out of it yet) take care of business, that'll make 6 different champions in 6 years.  Really do need a cap to give even that out some more.

1010129[/snapback]

Definitely impressed by what the Yanks have done since June - especially since they've done it with the least amount of real (as opposed to perceived monetary value) talent that they've had in years. I've actually become a fan of Giambi over that span - dude has been amazing.

That said, this has no impact on my view that having no salary cap is straight up unfair to smaller market teams. It still amazes me that anyone would argue against the idea that a huge chunk of the Yankees' success throughout the years has been due to their inflated team salaries.

Indians won't fade - at least not this year. Only a matter of time before one (or all) of their core hitters gets lured away by the big money contracts in NY, Boston, LA, etc.

Definitely impressed by what the Yanks have done since June - especially since they've done it with the least amount of real (as opposed to perceived monetary value) talent that they've had in years.  I've actually become a fan of Giambi over that span - dude has been amazing.

That said, this has no impact on my view that having no salary cap is straight up unfair to smaller market teams.  It still amazes me that anyone would argue against the idea that a huge chunk of the Yankees' success throughout the years has been due to their inflated team salaries. 

Indians won't fade - at least not this year.  Only a matter of time before one (or all) of their core hitters gets lured away by the big money contracts in NY, Boston, LA, etc.

1018920[/snapback]

No need to rehash the entire thing again (although it can be refeshing, compared to the other "discussions" that go on between people on this board). It's the "huge" in "huge chunk of success" that is the arguable fact. And even if I didn't argue that fact, I'd point out that there are many other ways to have success, even without a large payroll... so even if the cash is a huge factor for the Yankees, the smaller market teams can just construct their team in different fashions, like the Twins, A's, Marlins, and others have done.

But I like the "real (as opposed to perceived monetary) talent" comment. I think that says it all. People assume that if someone is making more money, that they have to be better, so if a team has a higher payroll, they have to be better... yadda, yadda, yadda, so when they win, they don't deserve a lot of credit.

You've become a fan of Giambi? Great. So you realize that going into this year, there were probably a ton of players, making a ton of less money that you'd rather have had (and I'm sure you wouldn't have been alone in that thinking). And I guess that's what I've been saying. It's not all about the money. This year, it's the Aaron Small and Ching-Meng Wang and Robinson Cano as much as A-Rod and Sheffield.

But if you've been impressed this year... can the fans be proud if they win the World Series? And if they can be proud when their $200M team wins, are they then allowed to be proud of the past teams whose payrolls weren't this high?

And after yesterday... looks like this weekend will decide it. I was kind of hoping the Yanks could be 4 games up going into the weekend, but I guess that won't be the case.

Does anyone care about the Spankees.  I mean with a payroll that high shouldnt they already have at least a playoff berth locked up.  isnt it a failure if they dont win the World Series.  I can assure you that won't happen, so really does anyone care about the Spankees.

1022096[/snapback]

Sgt. I think you are a closet Yankees fan pretending to hate the Yankees! I will be disappointed if they don't make it to the series, but on the other hand I have been proud of the heart and character they have shown, with all the injuries this year.

GO YANKEES! :D

Sgt. I think you are a closet Yankees fan pretending to hate the Yankees! I will be disappointed if they don't make it to the series, but on the other hand I have been proud of the heart and character they have shown, with all the injuries this year.

GO YANKEES! :D

1022231[/snapback]

Heart? Character? Yankees?

You're still drunk aren't you? Put down the Hoegarden. I've never heard anyone accuse ARod of having heart before unless it was part of "I (heart) money".

http://www.atomichammer.com/daily_news.jpg

Does anyone care about the Spankees.  I mean with a payroll that high shouldnt they already have at least a playoff berth locked up.  isnt it a failure if they dont win the World Series.  I can assure you that won't happen, so really does anyone care about the Spankees.

1022096[/snapback]

:D

:D "...with a payroll that high..."

Dude, a high payroll doesn't mean crap if the money isn't well spent. Right now the Yankees have a lot of wasted money invested in their pitching staff. The only one worth the money is probably The Big Unit and even he's having a subpar year. Bottom line is, if you don't have good pitching, you don't usually win. If it weren't for lower paid guys like Chacon, Small, and Wang they'd have packed it in a long time ago.

Yes, it is a failure if they don't win the World Series, but every team except the World Series Champ can claim that.

Yes, everyone does care about the Yankees. Yankee fans want them to win and Yankee haters desperately want to see them fail. Obviously you care, because you sure do cry about them a lot!

I realize that it's not fair that all teams can't afford all these players, but that's 10-0 for Aaron Small.

Sox need to win 3 out of 4... they can certainly do that.

Should be fun. Now that the White Sox clinched, hopefully the Indians will take care of business.

The loser of the AL East probably doesn't deserve a playoff spot, hopefully they won't get one. Of course, if the tribe loses 2 out of 3 this weekend against a team resting for the postseason, then maybe they don't deserve it either.

Edited by LegFuJohnson

And now it's 2 of 3.

I would hate to see the Yankees win the first 2 games of this series, if only because the matchup on Sunday will be a spectacular game if it's the season on the line. A split most likely means the winner on Sunday stays and the loser goes home. If the Sox win Friday and Saturday, then a win by the Yankees means a playoff game for the division, and as that game counts against regular season standings the loser would again almost certainly go home.

It will be a great baseball weekend!!

No, it's basically still 3 out of 4 (or 5) for the Sox

If Boston wins two out of the three games, they'll still have to win another game to get into the playoffs.

If Cleveland takes two out of three, you may very well see a three way tie, with Monday's loser playing Cleveland on Tuesday for the wildcard.

I'm not as high on this series as I used to be. Right now, I really think NY and Bos will both get into the playoffs, making this series not so meaningful.

I hope I'm wrong about that, of course.

What a great way to end the season. The Boston/Yankee matchup as the last three games to decide the division is sweet (could go to a playoff though). I will be rooting for the Red Sox, and even though I dislike the Yankees, my hat is off to them for coming this far to contend for the playoffs. Bassturds. :D

No, it's basically still 3 out of 4 (or 5) for the Sox

1033537[/snapback]

If you read my post, you would see that I was talking about 2 of 3 to force a playoff game. No need to be the series police...

The other part of my post that was meaningful was that, according to the mid-day show on Sports Radio WEEI in Boston, if all three teams ended up tied, that Boston and NY would play for the division, but the loser would go home. That is why it is significant that the playoff game counts as a regular season game, because it breaks the tie with Cleveland just by occuring.

Now, they could be wrong about that, and I have not looked it up to clarify. I am just posting as they have explained it.

That used to be the rule, but I believed it changed a couple years ago.  If all three teams are tied, Cleveland would play on Tuesday against the loser of the Monday game.

1034054[/snapback]

No I believe Selig has determined that Cleveland, having only one player in the all star game, is out if there is a three way tie. It was part of the deal to make the all star game have more meaning. :D