[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

...and Favre gets on Walker

Guest Sores

Favre made walker, and Favre can destroy walker. I see Donlald Driver having a very good year, if they don't work things out. Ferguson will be solid, and Murphy will but up great numbers for a rookie. Murphy is a very solid reciever, and while I don't expect him to be a Bouldin or Clayton, he will contribute.

I think when its all said and done, Javon is going to get paid. Do you really think he cares whether or not he's in Green Bay this upcoming year? Its not like GB is that great of a place to be right now anyways. His stock couldn't be any higher because of the year he had last year, and he's going to jump at the chance to get paid big dollars. Who can argue with that, considering that this happens all the time and usually the player wins this battle one way or another. I know as fans we all want every NFL player to be like Favre (it hurts to say because I am a Vikings fan), who never whines about contract, goes out and plays old school gun-slinger football hard every Sunday, team first , rah - rah - rah....but that is just not the case.

How does getting paid workout in the NFL. Yeah the Packers can fine him, but does that fine just come out of his salary? I thought it was $1000 for every day missed. NFL season contains 200 days at most, so Walker could still make $350,000+ and not do a thing? Is that right?

I was not in any way saying Walker is justified in holding out. I hate that crap as much as anyone. What I WAS saying is that I don't think Favre served himself, his team, or Walker well by taking the discussion to the press. It doesn't take "balls" to call someone out in the press (see Terrell Owens). It takes balls to call someone up in person and tell them what you think. As the team leader - which Favre unquestionably is - I just think it would have served EVERYONE better for him to just call up Walker and say, "Dude, pull your head out and get out on the field - your payday is coming."

I was not in any way saying Walker is justified in holding out.  I hate that crap as much as anyone.  What I WAS saying is that I don't think Favre served himself, his team, or Walker well by taking the discussion to the press.  It doesn't take "balls" to call someone out in the press (see Terrell Owens).  It takes balls to call someone up in person and tell them what you think.  As the team leader - which Favre unquestionably is - I just think it would have served EVERYONE better for him to just call up Walker and say, "Dude, pull your head out and get out on the field - your payday is coming."

803181[/snapback]

Somebody agrees with that... (from Star Tribune)

Ex-Packer Sharper says Favre is out of line

From Staff, Wire Reports

May 5, 2005 NFL0505.NOTES

Darren Sharper might be a former Packer but that doesn't mean he isn't willing to give his view on his former team. Sharper, who signed with the Vikings as a free agent in March after eight years in Green Bay, said holdout receiver Javon Walker shouldn't concern himself with recent critical remarks made by quarterback Brett Favre.

"[Favre's comments] don't carry any weight right now because Javon Walker is a Pro Bowl player and he's going to do what he wants to do," Sharper said on Sirius Satellite Radio. "[Favre's] not in Javon's shoes right now. Javon should not pay attention to his comments at all.

" ... I have the utmost respect for Brett and what he feels as far as guys on his team, but when it comes to contract situations, those are personal matters. Brett should not have anything to say about that. It has nothing to do with him."

javon aint making shucks. Who cares if he signed hte contract 4 years back. He's not making shucks. Nfl contracts are differnet then the ones signed in other sports. Guys dont just chill like in baseball/basketballa nd collect 10 million. On the flip side if you are underpaid based on your performance you have every right to complain.

Farve shouldn't say anything. He's really well paid. If farve was making a half a mill adn complained fans would be jumping up and down and siding with him

JAVON IS A MUCH BETTER RECEIVER THAN FARVE IS A QUATERBACK RIGHT NOW BUT MAKES about 20 times less than farve

tell him to go fck himself javon.

oh and people complain all the time and get what they want but it doens't work for receivers that often but moss and coles both got new contracts

marcus stroud, shaun rogers and kris jenkins all complained and got paid!

i guess dt's are more important than loud mouth wr's

I am of the school of thought that a contract is a contract. And once signed they should be honored, by both sides. And that is the problem in the NFL. Sure no one wants Javon Walker to hold out because it makes him seem like he lacks character or something. But you know what players sign contracts with NFL teams all the time and then the team may still release them. Now I know that there are probably provisions in thecontract that allows the team to do that but never-the-less they didn't honor the terms of the contract in terms of length and pay.

I'm quite sure that someone could compile a list of players that have benefitted from holding out and a list of players that didn't benefit from holding out and I'm quite sure the lists would be fairly even. My point is that sometimes holding out works and sometimes it doesn't.

But answer me this. If you had proven yourself to be one of the best at your job and others had already proven that you have at least a 50/50 chance to get a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract if you just hold out, wouldn't you try it? Especially if you know that in the end, even if you don't get the BIG BUCKS that some team, somewhere, will still be more than willing to pay you close to a million dollars a year to play for them.

Javon Walker could go out in the 1st game this year and have a career ending injury. His stock is has high right now as it has ever been. Whether he gets a new deal from the Packers or not this is his shot to get the BIG BUCKS and he's taking it. I feel as though I am a guy of fairly high integrity and I'm still not sure I wouldn't try it.

How does getting paid workout in the NFL. Yeah the Packers can fine him, but does that fine just come out of his salary?  I thought it was $1000 for every day missed.  NFL season contains 200 days at most, so Walker could still make $350,000+ and not do a thing?  Is that right?

802781[/snapback]

Randy Meuller article about TO but addresses your question:

Most of us figured when the Eagles acquired Terrell Owens from San Francisco, where he had worn out his welcome, it was only a matter of time before the same happened in Philadelphia. But in one year?

I'm not sure any of us thought it could happen after what T.O accomplished on the field in '04 for the Eagles. He was everything he had been in the past and then some. His performance in the Super Bowl was one of legendary status on its own. He could have been the king of Philly for years to come. He was headed for the rarified status of Philadelphia's great all-time sports stars.

Enter an ill-advised decision to publicly demand a new, much more lucrative contract. Bad move. T.O and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, miscalculated the fact the environment for holdouts and renegotiations has changed in pro sports in the last decade. It doesn't garner the support of the fans like it once did, and the collective bargaining agreement between the players union and owners has included tougher rules and penalties to eliminate it from the game. Here is a closer look at what I mean.

Terrell Owens' demands have fallen on deaf ears in Philly.This issue has been a public relations nightmare for T.O. from the outset. Owens went public thinking that the blue-collar fans of Philly would jump on his bandwagon. Wrong. Players make so much money now (T.O.'s base is $3 million for '05 and he'll make $10 million in the first two years of his current deal) that people on the street don't want to hear about it. They can't relate to this type of demand.

He then proceeded to incite a riot by throwing his quarterback under the bus indirectly. Who's the one player on that team whom he can't get away with criticizing? It's Donovan McNabb's team, always has been, always will be. He's lucky McNabb hasn't fired back with both barrels. When it was obvious to Owens that public sentiment was against him he said, "I'm done talking about it." Too late in my book; the damage had been done.

The Eagles hold all the cards from a financial angle as well. Let's say T.O. goes through with his threats of holding out, etc. They can fine him up to $6,000 per day for missing mandatory mini-camp and training camp, if he is under contract, which he is. So he starts the season down $180,000 for missing 30 days of training camp.

Once the regular season begins, the fine is 1/17th of his salary or $176,000 per week based on a $3 million base. The Eagles will be given salary-cap relief each week for this exact amount if Owens is a no-show. I think it's safe to assume they also have language, which is commonplace now in the NFL, in the signing bonus agreement that will reflect a forfeiture of a prorated amount of his bonus for each week he misses in the regular season. That could total another $50,000-$60,000 per week in the regular season that he would have to repay the team.

This is all "real money" that Owens will be losing. Not only will he most likely not get a new deal, it could cost him several hundred thousand dollars just to make his point. That $3 million base might soon be $2.5 million after the fines and withheld salary.

Owens has the right to play any card or make any demand he'd like, but the cards are stacked against him on this one from every angle. Incidentally, Rosenhaus, with whom I have had the pleasure of doing many a deal and who is known in league circles as "a dealmaker" in a positive manner, is doing the same thing for clients Javon Walker in Green Bay and Anquan Boldin in Arizona. Both are demanding new deals.

Each situation is a bit different and neither makes the kind of money Owens does in Philly nor are they in year two of a seven-year deal (just signed last year). My prediction is Boldin will get his raise, but Walker might have to wait another year. There is some motivation for the club if it can secure a player in the last year of his current contract for future years to come. Not the case with Owens. The Eagles already have him under contract for six more years.

I've been involved in these ugly public holdouts before. In the end, nobody wins. The player won't get a new deal. The Eagles can't risk the precedent that those actions would set. He misses all the offseason and training camp work. His teammates get tired of answering the same questions over and over. The club asks itself, "do we sign another veteran at that position as insurance against the holdout?" This will cost it salary-cap dollars that it has not budgeted for.

The saving grace in all this is it's May, not August. Rosenhaus and Owens can make demands now and not risk fines or burn bridges beyond repair or alienate fans and teammates for the long haul. However, if this drags into September, they risk doing just that. Another decision as to how far to carry this is looming for Owens and his agent. The ball is clearly in their court.

Where is the law in all this...is there very fine print in a contract that says player has the optuion to hold out, based on performance? If I sign a contract with a mortgage, phone or car company...can I base the performance of the house, car or phone on whether I pay or not...yeah right!! Here we are talking about a multi-million dollar baby(operative word) and he's in his high chair banging his rattle demanding his way....his mommy (agent) is supporting his tantrum and will do anything for her baby....Favre IMO as team leader knows more than most people on what is going on....he knows Walker better than his mommy(agent) does..and if Walker probably heard Favre's words and if anything--hopefully will get out of his high-chair and ask for higher performance based incentives and "not" a new contract...performance speaks volumes and banging your ratlle is not the performance the Pack will reward....JMO :D