[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie Dynasty Draft opinions...

Vicster

Drafting in a IDP dynasty league this week, slow draft but my second round pick is coming up and the team that I took over is very old. That being said the league seems to be a bit RB lopsided when it comes to the draft as 12 running backs have been taken, 4 receivers, 1 TE, and 1 QB. I went ahead and took Ryan Moats at 1.7 due to the run on backs and this team is hurting at that position the most in my opinion. Let me shoot you my roster and I'll see what you guys think my next move should be.

Bledsoe, Drew DAL QB

Brady, Tom NEP QB

Chandler, Chris FA QB

McCown, Josh ARI QB

McCown, Luke TBB QB

Smoker, Jeff STL QB

Volek, Billy TEN QB

Bennett, Michael MIN RB

Dunn, Warrick ATL RB

Faulk, Marshall STL RB

Fisher, Tony GBP RB

Green, Ahman GBP RB

Moats, Ryan PHI RB

Robertson, Jamal CAR RB

Stecker, Aaron NOS RB

Wheatley, Tyrone FA RB

Berrian, Bernard CHI WR

Brown, Troy FA WR

Curry, Ronald OAK WR

Darling, Devard BAL WR

Ferguson, Robert GBP WR

Finneran, Brian ATL WR

Francis, Carlos OAK WR

Jackson, Darrell SEA WR

Moulds, Eric BUF WR

Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE

Miller, Billy HOU TE

Mare, Olindo MIA PK

Vinatieri, Adam NEP PK

Abraham, John NYJ DE

Grant, Charles NOS DE

Smith, Justin CIN DE

Edwards, Donnie SDC LB

Fields, Mark CAR LB

June, Cato IND LB

Lewis, Ray BAL LB

Smith, Derek m SFO LB

Thomas, Robert STL LB

Boulware, Michael SEA S

Kiel, Terrance SDC S

Wesley, Greg KCC S

If you need more information as to the league scoring rules or the starting lineups, let me know. I'm leaning towards either Mark Clayton or Aaron Rodgers here at 2.7 or I could go defense and shoot for a playmaker there, though I'm not exactly sure who I'd chase there. Any ideas would be most appreciative as this teams needs help.

Went ahead and grabbed Clayton with the pick. From here on out it is purely speculation on what to take, but I'm leaning towards A. Pearman at Jacksonville. With Fred's injury history and all, he could possibly pan out and maybe I could address any defensive issues between now and next year through free agency.

Go after Fason from MIN or a QB. The only reason I suggest Fason is that O. Smith looks like he has gotten himself in trouble again, and Bennett will be out of the line up at some point, so it will either be Moore or Fason. It might be worth the gamble. By the way, nice D.

Well, if you look at this team, you may realize that with only Ahman Green as a legitimate threat at running back, it needs help in that department. I really shouldn't have to defend this pick, in my opinion, but here goes.

The draft up until my pick was Benson, Brown, Williams, Arrington, Williamson, and Shelton. So as you can see, 5 running backs had already gone off the board at that time. Now, I could have gone for a wide receiver here, but with Eric Moulds and Darrell Jackson I would say that my receiver position is decent enough to get by for one more year whereas I need to start to make some moves in the backfield.

If you liked V. Morency better, then that's your taste, but he's older due to time spent playing baseball. Frank Gore has knee problems. I was wavering between Clarrett and Moats and at the last decided to take the chance on Moats instead of Clarrett. Sure it may not work out in the end, but I think with the information at hand it was better than going after a receiver here.

As a side note, I grabbed Mark Clayton at 2.07 and then was able to get Odell Thurman at 3.07. 4. 07 I just picked and took Erasmus James. I don't need much defensive help but with the ability to place these guys on my rookie taxi squad, it doesn't hurt for me to take the best available here.

Anymore advice would be appreciative, and criticism is well received as well, but make sure you support it with reasoning besides asking if I'm on glue. Only points out your lack of insight.

ok. no need to be so sensitive. everything i've read has indicated moats is a 3rd down type back who will be used as a complement to westbrook (and if westbrook jets after this year, they would have to replace him). not to mention there is a chance of the eagles trading for henry. I understand the importance of running backs but i think there comes a point where you have to go with a wr when they have as much talent as edwards or mike williams (despite them going to imperfect teams/situations). I would have gone with gore over moats as well, b/c even though the niners blow, at least he has a chance to be a feature back at some point, whereas IMO, with moats i'm not sure that will ever happen.

I'd like to get your line up requirements and some idea of what value D players offer. I'm not quite so down on the Moats pick.... but it was a jump, IMO. He is very much like Westbrook, I think. And it looks to me like Philly will let Westbrook walk. You only have 3 DB's.... again, don't know it that is enough, but I would have liked Davis at 1.7 in my dynasty IDP. he's going to be a stud. Ditto for some of the LB's in this draft, I like Odell Thurman. Why is everyone drafting nothing but offense?

12 team league.

Lineups consist of only 12 starters:

Offense: Start total of 7, TE required, at least one of each.

1 QB

1-3 RB

1-3 WR

1-2 TE

1 K

Defense: Start total of 5, at least one each.

1-3 DE

1-3 LB

1-3 DB

Now the scoring is slanted towards backs and with the ability to start 3 backs, it can really put a hurting on a team that does not field that many.

Offense -

QB - 6pt/TD, 1pt/20 yds passing, 1pt/5yds rushing

RB/WR/TE - 6pt/TD, 1pt/10 yds rushing/rec., 1pt/3 rushing ATTEMPTS, 1 pt/1rcpt.

Defense -

1pt/solo tackle

1pt/2 assists

2pt/0.5 sacks

3pt/interception

3pt/fumble recovery

3pt/fumble caused

6pt/TD return

This league is a local league and when they started it, they weren't sure how in depth they wanted to go with defensive players. As you can see, defensive players do not rack up a ton of points unless they get a sack, fumble, fumble recovery and TD return in one play.

I've tried to push for expanding the defensive starters to 8 or 10 to allow larger lineups on defense to help the scoring there. But, they seem to be stubborn on it.

I've drafted so far in this draft:

1.07 - Ryan Moats

2.07 - Mark Clayton (I think this is a steal that late)

3.07 - Odell Thurman

4.07 - Erasmus James

5.07 - Josh Bullocks

6.07 - Derek Anderson

Have three more picks left and will just grab for value I guess, we can keep up to 6 players on the rookie taxi squad without giving them a contract until next season. League Link

Not an expert league but that's why I'm here asking you guys right?? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Edited by Vicster

Well, if you look at this team, you may realize that with only Ahman Green as a legitimate threat at running back, it needs help in that department.  I really shouldn't have to defend this pick, in my opinion, but here goes. 

813322[/snapback]

Well, Vicster it's your lucky day. Now that O. Smith is gone all you need is Bennet to stay healthy and perform up to his ability. That may be asking too much, but your RB's look much better now. Perch's advise to pick up the Vikes back up RB is now a must. Early on it may be Moore.