[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints Backers

Currently listed on the depth chart at Ourlads is James Allen SLB, Courtney Watson MLB & Derrick Rodgers at WLB. Rodgers toward the end of the season gave way more & more often to Colby Bockwoldt, who IMO played much better that Rodgers. So far, going into camp, it looks like they will stick with Watson in the middle, Bockwoldt at WLB & Allen at SLB. But once Al "Doberman" Fincher gets a better grasp of the defense I believe they will move Watson to the outside. More likely to the WLB & depending on who is playing better Bockwoldt or Allen at SLB. It's been argues that CB is too small for the SLB position, but he's added a lot of strength & bulk during the offseason that should allow him to move over. All-in-all it looks like the LB to have is Watson for now, but keep a close eye on Fincher who is more of a true MLB.

Currently listed on the depth chart at Ourlads is James Allen SLB, Courtney Watson MLB & Derrick Rodgers at WLB. Rodgers toward the end of the season gave way more & more often to Colby Bockwoldt, who IMO played much better that Rodgers. So far, going into camp, it looks like they will stick with Watson in the middle, Bockwoldt at WLB & Allen at SLB. But once Al "Doberman" Fincher gets a better grasp of the defense I believe they will move Watson to the outside. More likely to the WLB & depending on who is playing better Bockwoldt or Allen at SLB. It's been argues that CB is too small for the SLB position, but he's added a lot of strength & bulk during the offseason that should allow him to move over. All-in-all it looks like the LB to have is Watson for now, but keep a close eye on Fincher who is more of a true MLB.

810330[/snapback]

I have Watson and Bockwoldt with no prospects of getting Fincher ...

I was hoping that they kept status quo and pushed Fincher to SLB ... sounds like thats dreaming.

What do you think of D. Howard's prospects this year? Seems it may be tough with 3 top flight DEs ... (I have Howard too) ...

I have Watson and Bockwoldt with no prospects of getting Fincher ...

I was hoping that they kept status quo and pushed Fincher to SLB ... sounds like thats dreaming.

810366[/snapback]

I really don't think that Fincher is suited to play outside. I do think he was drafted with the intent of putting him in the middle. Watson played very well there last year, but would probably be even better on the outside. He can play all three positions, but he's faster than Bockwoldt so the best fit for him is at WLB. I think the only question is whether Bockwoldt will fit into the SLB slot. Given the offseason work he's done I believe he will. If not he'll likely end up backing up Watson at WLB. If there ever comes a point in time they get a decent DT then I could see them possibly going to a 3-4 defense, but right now I think that's a huge if.

What do you think of D. Howard's prospects this year?  Seems it may be tough with 3 top flight DEs ... (I have Howard too) ...

810366[/snapback]

Howard will definately start over Smith. Smith is good, but Howard is still way better. They will likely rotate all 3 DE, much like they did last year with Howard likely moving inside on occasion to play a pass rushing DT.

Lets just say Watson owners shouldnt be too scared by this guy who most projected to be a 5th rounder that the Saints took 2 rounds, too high.  

Alfred Fincher

ILB | (6'1", 238, 4.71) | CONNECTICUT

Scouts Grade: 57   Selected by: New Orleans Saints

Round: 3

Pick (Overall): 18(82) 

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History 

You are signed into Insider  and have access to the exclusive draft content below. 

Strengths: Is a big, strong, physical and tough MLB prospect. Is at his best plugging the run downhill between the tackles. Fills hard and plays the game with a mean streak. Has a good combination of upper and lower body strength. Plays with leverage and shows the ability to consistently hold up at the POA in a phone booth. Is a powerful striker as a tackler. Has adequate straight-line speed and shows some closing burst when pursuing. Has good natural instincts versus the run and does a good job of reading his keys and reacting.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal athleticism. Has adequate straight-line speed but marginal lateral mobility. Does not possess good range versus the run. Has trouble recovering after taking a false step. Has stiff hips and struggles to change directions. Loses too much in transition when he stops and starts. Lacks the athleticism, fluidity and speed to cover most NFL RB's one-on-one. Also has marginal range for zone coverage in the NFL.

Overall: Fincher played in 11 games as a reserve linebacker during his true freshman season in 2001. He took over as a fulltime starter at MLB as a sophomore in 2002 and finished third on the team with 92 total tackles. He was a fulltime starter from 2002-'04. As a junior in 2003, Fincher finished second in tackles with 115. As a senior in 2004, he led his team with 140 total tackles, 12 tackles for loss, two sacks and two INT's. Fincher is an experienced ILB prospect with good size, toughness and strength. He gets the most out of his physical tools but clearly is an overachiever with marginal athleticism. Fincher's upside is limited but he is worth drafting in the mid-to-late rounds as a potential reserve ILB that can hold his own between the tackles as a run-plugger if necessary and also has the size, straight-line speed, toughness and tackling skills to chase down kicks on special teams.

810382[/snapback]

another view of fincher:

ALFRED FINCHER: ILB (6-1 1/8, 240, 4.74) | Connecticut. Positives: Lower-body strength, quickness, instincts, hustle. Negatives: Athleticism, pass coverage. Analysis: Fincher shows good lower-body strength, quickness, and instincts. Recognizes plays and finds the ball quickly. Takes good pursuit angles and sifts through traffic. Hits ball carriers hard. Is aggressive and competitive. Shows toughness and leadership ability. However, Fincher lacks ideal athleticism and doesn’t change directions smoothly. Plays a bit stiff and doesn’t move well laterally. Lacks ideal pass coverage ability. Valuation: Fincher is a third round prospect who is rising.
Edited by keggerz

Lets just say Watson owners shouldnt be too scared by this guy who most projected to be a 5th rounder that the Saints took 2 rounds, too high. 

The fault in this thinking is just what I posted below. Rodgers has never really played at a high level & is aging rapidly and Allen has never shown anything but potential. Allen, as I said should stay at the SLB position & will stay there as long as Fincher doesn't play well enough to take over the middle. In that case It should be as I said: Allen SLB, Watson MLB, Bockwoldt WLB

Howard will be lined up inside on most 3rd downs allowing Smith to rush from the outside opposite of Grant.  Howard gives a decent push inside and allows Smith 1-1 with the OT to get to the QB.

810411[/snapback]

Yup, exactly :D