[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NY Jets IDP Outlook

Went to Jets camp today. On the D side of thngs.... Justin Miller is the best DB on the team. Period. This kid is an uber-stud. Zone, man, no matter, he had 4 INT's today between the two sessions, and took every snap on the 1st team D. Even if the Jets get Law, he could replace Barrett on the other side, he's THAT good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it, Sarge. Washington and Celestin were laying on big hits in a non contact session today. They were both on the 3rd team D. Behind McGraw, Coleman, Rhodes and Maddox. They are fighting for roster spots. They both got burnt today. Strait is a nickel back, and Mickens may even get cut. I don't see Washington making the team at this point, it's him or Celestin.

• 2 weeks later...

LAY DOWN THE flipIN LAW ROVERS !!!!!!!! If he can even get to 80% of what he was, tis a tremendous upside. The Jets have NEVER been able to shut down/contain the best WR and roll coverage. Opens up a whole new dimension. Justin Miller was a steal. He is a flipin beast. As I understand, he will be returning both punts and kicks, with Mickens being released, he will see some time in the nickel, and before long will be a staple on the other side. Excellent opportunity to learn from one of the best shut down corners reguardless..... Man, I hope he is healthy. Did not hear on how the physical/mini workout went today etc.... New beginning, new attitude, let's kick some flipin ass !!!!!!! Jet fan for too long, I'll take ANY good news when I can get it :D

HoP, I added a post on the afternoon TC session in the FF forum. I was a little late to practice, but they say he has very good speed on the back pedal. He is a pretty big guy for a corner. He didnt get involved in the drills yet.

I have to update the main Jets report, but it's starting to look like Celestin may be our starting SS! Miller is now our #3 CB. I still think he may unseat barrett at some point, opposite Law. Rhodes and Maddox played the safety spots with the secon team today, I think McGraw is still recovering from that hernia.

Safety McGraw tarded to Detroit, CB Pete Hunter cut. From the Jets' site:

Jets Trade McGraw, Waive Hunter

The New York Jets Wednesday they have received a conditional draft selection for safety Jon McGraw and waived cornerback Pete Hunter. The announcements were made by Jets’ Executive Vice President and General Manager Terry Bradway.

McGraw, 6-3, 203-pound safety, is a veteran of 33 regular season games and has made seven starts. He registered 102 tackles, nine passes defended, three interceptions and two fumbles forced on defense over the course of his first three NFL seasons. The former Kansas State walk-on has also recorded 40 career special teams’ tackles while playing on a variety of coverage units. McGraw has appeared in four postseason contests with the Jets and posted 11 tackles on defense in those games, as well as contributing four special teams tackles.

Hunter, 25, was originally drafted by the Cowboys in the fifth round of the 2002 Draft out of Virginia Union before being traded to the Jets on July 14 for a conditional draft selection. The 6-2, 212-pound native of Atlantic City, NJ has played in 30 regular season games, making five starts, and has recorded 43 tackles, one sack, three interceptions, nine passes defended and two fumbles recovered.

Celestin has been practicing with the first team for almost two weeks now. Barring a bad preseason, it looks like his job. He has looked good in practice, better than I thought he was.

After Celestin, it's the rookies, Maddox and Rhodes. There really isnt a SS or FS in Donnie Henderson's defense, they move around, almost interchangable. Washington is working with the thrid team.

Edited by Rovers

Yeah Rovers you better be right on Celestin!!! :D I just took him in the 20th round (of a 32 team league :D ) as my DB4, I NEED him to pay off. You can't afford to not have production from the 648th pick.

You're doing a great job. Keep up the good work.

-DD21

Edited by digitaldan21

All I can do is tell you what I see at training camp! Celestin has looked good, and reports said he looked very good in the Giants scrimmage, which probably greased the skids for the McGraw trade. Rhodes is applying some pressure, but one warning, and this is mostly gut feel...

Celestin is a converted CB, and still has good coverage skills. He got some time at the open CB position with the first team D. If Law got hurt, and Miller didn't work out, I think they would move Celestin to CB over Strait and start Rhodes at safety. It's unlikely, but I think Celestin is the 4th CB if the injury bug bites.

Thomas seems to have improved some this year, actually, but playing behind Ellis and Abraham, I would not expect too much from him this year. If Abraham walks after this year, then he'd be in a postion to put some points up.

Monday, August 15, 2005

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Minnesota is up next on the Jets' preseason schedule. But rookie Kerry Rhodes did the unthinkable and looked one game past the Vikings to Game No. 3 and the Giants, who weren't happy with his aggressive play in the teams' combined practice two weeks ago.

"They might come out and get me, I don't know," Rhodes said. "It'll be fun. It's just a game. Either way, I'm going to come to play, too."

By that time, Rhodes may not just be playing strong safety for the Jets. He may be starting there.

"Like [No.] 26 [Erik Coleman] last year, certain guys just keep showing up," coach Herman Edwards said Sunday. "Kerry played pretty well in the game and today he had another good practice. He's got confidence. And right now the job's wide open for somebody to step in there and take it."

That may not be what Oliver Celestin wants to hear. Celestin has been the strong safety alongside Coleman with the first defense all camp, and he started Friday against Detroit. Celestin was the player who prevented Jon McGraw from moving back into the starting lineup.

But it can be argued that Rhodes is the one who made McGraw expendable via trade to the Lions on Wednesday. Once Edwards and coordinator Donnie Henderson concluded that Rhodes could play above his fourth-round draft status, the Jets felt comfortable in dealing their most experienced safety.

Rhodes rewarded the move with two big plays to help beat the Lions. The first was his first pro interception, a 40-yarder down the middle off Jeff Garcia, on which Rhodes outjumped receiver Scottie Vines in the second quarter.

"The interception got the jitters out a little bit. I settled down after that," Rhodes said. "If it's a jump ball, most of the time I'm going to get it; that's my mind-set. I played basketball my first year at Louisville. Basketball is in my blood."

One more gem was in his immediate future - a critical pass breakup. The Lions, at the Jets' 7 with three seconds left, needed a touchdown pass to tie or win. And Rhodes noticed that Mike Williams, their top draft pick, was not lined up in the slot as he had been all game but at the "X" or split end position.

"Stuff like that is hard to teach guys," secondary coach Corwin Brown said. "You can tell them, but a lot of guys forget. Kerry saw that on his own."

"That was a big thing for me in my debut, just to try to get everybody set, on the right page," Rhodes said. "Overall, I think I played pretty good."

Then came Sunday's single workout, and Rhodes got physical with receiver Jerricho Cotchery, breaking up a pass in front of him and knocking Cotchery to the ground.

It was reminiscent, although not as violent, as the lick he put on Giants receiver Willie Ponder, who was juggling the ball down the deep middle. Ponder (bruised chest) was KO'd from the rest of the combined practice in Albany, N.Y.

That was one of the plays the Giants have complained about, and Edwards admitted his young players needed to be more disciplined in such drills. But Rhodes isn't apologizing.

"I was going for the ball, going full speed, and contact occurred," he said. "I don't have any regrets about it at all. That's part of football. It wasn't intentional. What can I say?"

Since Miller fumbled that punt return against the Lions, he sure has looked like crap fielding punts in practice, no confidence at all. Unless he can snap out of it, he'll just return KO's. It seems like it has affected his play at CB too. The kid got rattled. He should come around.....

Thomas seems to have improved some this year, actually, but playing behind Ellis and Abraham, I would not expect too much from him this year. If Abraham walks after this year, then he'd be in a postion to put some points up.

928715[/snapback]

That may not good enough to make my stable of DE's, depending on whether I stick Justin Tuck on my taxi squad (I plan to keep 4):

Kearse

Udeze

Geathers

Tuck

Thomas

Ty Jackson (moved to DT)

After Miller mufffed not 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, but 5 flipin kick/punt returns in practice, I refuse to comment on Rhodes and C. Help stop the jinx :D

929526[/snapback]

punt returning is one of the hardest positions in football. once you lose that confidence, its hard to get back. they should probably go another direction than miller. he will always be hearing the footsteps coming. 5 in a row is crazy. a couple i could understand. to play the position, you need to have great hands, great speed, swivel head, and hugh hueves.

That may not good enough to make my stable of DE's, depending on whether I stick Justin Tuck on my taxi squad (I plan to keep 4):

Kearse

Udeze

Geathers

Tuck

Thomas

Ty Jackson (moved to DT)

937012[/snapback]

I figure Tuck is in the same spot as Thomas is, redman. He's behind two guys that will take all of the snaps, barring an injury. There is also a chance that Abraham doesnt play iin the first couple of games, unless he gets into camp soon. Expectations are he will show up just a few days before game 1. that would give Thomas at least two starts, I think. Keep in mind too, that Abraham has missed 1/3rd of the games since he went pro due to his brittleness.

Crispirons, Miller isn't just hearing footsteps, he can't catch punts right now when there is no punt coverage in practice. He has really lost it. Should be interesting to see if they put him out there tonight (National TV, vs. Minny, CBS)

Attended TC for the last time this year..... it's closed to the public after tomorrow. No sign of Ty Law today, after he practiced yesterday. I suspect he isn't as far along as he has let on.

Now, THIS was a surprise..... Rhodes and Celestin were the safeties working with the first D today. Coleman was with the 2nd team defense. Is this a sign of a rotation at the Safety spot? Or just DC Henderson's way of lighting a fire under Coleman? Or just to see how well Rhodes and Celestin play together? I have no idea at this point. Coleman has not had a particularly good camp, that much I can say. Rookie CB Justin Miller continues to struggle after looking like the best shut down corner I'd ever seen in Jets camp early on. He was at least fielding punts today, and looked better.

Strong rumors abound saying that J Abraham will sign his tender next week. I expect that he may only be a situational pass rusher the first few regualr season games. That at least, is what the coaches have been saying.

I noticed Miller is still listed as the #1 KR and PR guy on the latest depth charts. Any word as to whether he'll keep that position going into opening week? Also, does he have the starting CB spot secured?

I noticed Miller is still listed as the #1 KR and PR guy on the latest depth charts.  Any word as to whether he'll keep that position going into opening week?  Also, does he have the starting CB spot secured?

957167[/snapback]

Right now it looks like Cotchery will handle punt returns, and Miller will return KO's. Right now, Miller has "hit a wall" in the words of Herm Edwards. The starting CB's are Law and Barrett. Strait and Miller are the back ups, but both have not looked good in coverage. Miller started camp looking like a pro bowler, but has struggled ever since that fumble he had against Minny two weeks ago. I would not look for Miller to start unless at least one of the starting CB's go down.

On another note, DE J Abraham has signed the franchise tag tender and has finally reported to camp. They are saying he may not play at all in the season opener. If he does step on the field at all, it will be as a situational pass rusher.