[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Commentary

Pick 20.07 (#235 overall) - I had Ken Hamlin rated pretty high on my overall DB list, so getting him in the 20th round is a mild surprise.  With Lucas gone, Hamlin could potentially have a pretty big year.  He'll be a solid #3 starting DB.

815835[/snapback]

I like the hamlin pick here.... but make no mistake.... boulware will be the point machine in that secondary. the hammer's big year came before boulware was on the scene when kenny was playing SS. Now that boulware has that spot locked..... Hamlin's points won't be near as high playing FS.

all that being said.... he's a pretty good pick for the 20th..... I had him pre-selected & was forced to take demps. :D

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still crying in my beer over Darin's Blaylock pick. I'm not deep at RB, and I wanted to get that handcuff to Martin in the worst way. I thought he'd last another round and took Winfield instead.  :bawling: On my next pick, I settled for Crockett behind Jordan. Through 20 rounds, darin has 5 RB's!  :bigshock:  There is a strategy that completely escapes me, given the fact you only start 2 RB's, and darin still had open starting spots yet to fill, including one at the DB spot. To each his own!

815865[/snapback]

:violin:

You're hardly one to be questioning anyone's strategy.

I have two solid RBs in Dillon and Jones. After that, I have two somewhat-risky picks in Bettis and Droughns. There were PLENTY of DBs out there, so figured I could wait till the next round to grab a good one. I was right.

And since we're now in the business of questioning picks.... Crockett? :D Zereoue and Fargas would have been far more informed selections, seeing that this is not a TD-only draft/league.

D@mn you frazia and Rovers.  I had Foreman and Cowart as my top 2 preselects and Thornton as my 3rd.  But I considered removing Thornton this morning as I had decided to wait on him if I didnt get one of those 2 and go with another position first.  But I never thought both would be gone.  :D

Frazia, you have taken about 3 of my guys now.  :D

815938[/snapback]

Looks like alot of us are on similar wavelengths; I had Foreman and Cowart on my list, and when they got nabbed, had pre-selected Thornton, only to have him snapped up right ahead of me. Doh. And as I said in my pick summary, I decided to go elsewhere with that pick. I still need a bit more LB depth...

D@mn you frazia and Rovers.  I had Foreman and Cowart as my top 2 preselects and Thornton as my 3rd.  But I considered removing Thornton this morning as I had decided to wait on him if I didnt get one of those 2 and go with another position first.  But I never thought both would be gone.  :D

Frazia, you have taken about 3 of my guys now.  :D

815938[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure we're all in the same boat. When 72 LB's have to go, we'll all pretty much have the same 10 or so in different orders.

:violin:

You're hardly one to be questioning anyone's strategy.

I have two solid RBs in Dillon and Jones.  After that, I have two somewhat-risky picks in Bettis and Droughns.  There were PLENTY of DBs out there, so figured I could wait till the next round to grab a good one.  I was right. 

And since we're now in the business of questioning picks.... Crockett?  :D  Zereoue and Fargas would have been far more informed selections, seeing that this is not a TD-only draft/league.

815945[/snapback]

If Jordan gets hurt, it's RBBC in Oakland. I'll take the guy that scores the TD's. I did however, in my critique, avoid such comments as "far more informed selections". So, consider this a return volley. Yes, I do question taking a 4th RB when someone only has 3 LB's, while 3 must start. One injury, forgetting the three bye weeks makes a team vulnerable, IMHO. Not to mention you still needed a starting DB, and instead took a FIFTH RB! You can question my one pick of Crockett, what I question is your strategy. When you took your 4th RB, Droughns, you passed on top DB's like Keil, Winfield, Darius, Kennedy, Lucas and Baxter. All of these DB's are top tens in thier position, (CB or S) , some are top five. I don't understand how Droughns makes your team better than these DB's would have. I understand that there are a lot of DB's to pick from, but the top tens I find hard to pass on. These are the ones that score 200 points, while Droughns is on the bench.

I wasn't about to launch into you but after you said "You're hardly one to be questioning anyone's strategy.", I figured the gloves are off! :D Nothing wrong with a little healthy rock throwing! :D

Edited by Rovers

it may have taken both of my picks, but I just sealed up my back-up RB situation. Foster is Foster...even if he stays injury-free, which is doubtful, he will never carry a full load.

816016[/snapback]

yes he WILL :D

If Jordan gets hurt, it's RBBC in Oakland.

Link please.

And who says Jordan is a shoo-in to get hurt?

Yes, I do question taking a 4th RB when someone only has 3 LB's, while 3 must start. One injury, forgetting the three bye weeks makes a team vulnerable, IMHO.

I had 4 solid LBs at the time, and plenty of solid LBs still on the board.

Not to mention you still needed a starting DB, and instead took a FIFTH RB!

Again, there were plenty of solid DBs left. Face it, my strategy(ies) paid off. I have (in my mind) a solid, deep corps of RBs, which prove to be the most valuable commodity in fantasy football. And by absolutely no means did I jeopardize strength at any other position.

Bottom line: Take the best remaining RB on the board or LB/DB when there are 8-10 of EACH that I'd be comfortable with? Do the math.

Edit: And I'm not tryin' to throw stones here; a few others questioned your strategy early on with the Manning pick... so just goin' on that. No harm intended, just my opinions. Which, of course, is what fantasy football is based on: opinions as derived from facts (stats). Interpret as you may. :D

Edited by darin3

No one did. Now, you are making stuff up. I wanted Blaylock for the injury handcuff. Same with Crockett. Maybe this concept is not understood? This started simply enough, yes, I did say I didnt understand your strategy. You could have chosen to explain it, and we could have bounced things around. I questioned your strategy , not you, or how well informed you are. I also didnt say anything about whether or not you have the right to question someone's picks either. You made it personal, and I object to that. Not what I would expect from a forum moderator, not to mention the warm greeting you gave redman, regarding his post count. Not a good start, darin. I'm done.

No one did. Now, you are making stuff up. I wanted Blaylock for the injury handcuff. Same with Crockett. Maybe this concept is not understood? This started simply enough, yes, I did say I didnt understand your strategy. You could have chosen to explain it, and we could have bounced things around.  I questioned your strategy , not you, or how well informed you are. I also didnt say anything about whether or not you have the right to question someone's picks either. You made it personal, and I object to that. Not what I would expect from a forum moderator, not to mention the warm greeting you gave redman, regarding his post count. Not a good start, darin. I'm done.

816165[/snapback]

1. Strategy and being well-prepared go hand in hand. I did not, in any way, make things personal. You TOOK it personal, which in my book, is your issue. No one else's.

2. So you're saying because I'm this forum's moderator, I have to keep my mouth shut when it comes to a little good-natured banter about draft picks? Pardon my French but give me a frackin' break. That's ridiculous.

3. And lastly, the reply to redman's volunteering post was a joke. You are killing me. Another ridiculous statement.

I think I'm off to a fabulous start. Anyone but you disagree? :crickets:

I'm done too.

P.S. :violin:

Pick 22.07 (#259) - Well shoot, I thought it was time, despite FGs being set at 3 points each. Vanderjagt will again have one of the busiest legs in the NFL. Of course, it may be just a ton of XPs... but I had him rated the top kicker based not only on opportunities, but also the fact that he kicks in a dome for 8 games. Plus, he's an idiot kicker, which is funny. :D

Pick 22.07 (#259) - Well shoot, I thought it was time, despite FGs being set at 3 points each.  Vanderjagt will again have one of the busiest legs in the NFL.  Of course, it may be just a ton of XPs...  but I had him rated the top kicker based not only on opportunities, but also the fact that he kicks in a dome for 8 games.  Plus, he's an idiot kicker, which is funny.  :D

816183[/snapback]

Ok, now I'm questioning your startagey, though it shouldn't suprise me that a liberal wouldn't know the value of things. :D

Pick 23.06 (#270 overall) - I think I'm building a pretty decent corps of LBs, which are the most consistent scorers in IDP leagues. Huff's slated to start in the middle for a Cardinal defense which may be on the field alot again this season, despite obvious improvements to the offense. If nothing else, Huff is a very solid backup and/or injury replacement.

thanks Mort..... none of knew that. :D

:D

816332[/snapback]

Thinkin' this will be the text used in the handbook, which are typically read by the novice IDP league'r.

:D:D

P.S. Didn't really have anything else to say about this fool, anyways... :D

Thinkin' this will be the text used in the handbook, which are typically read by the novice IDP league'r. 

:D  :D

P.S.  Didn't really have anything else to say about this fool, anyways...  :D

816355[/snapback]

I thought Sarge was writing the IDP portion of the handbook? That's a surprise. Well, good luck with it darin!

Keg, yer LB corp does look formidable! I pulled a darin on Sarge and took his RB handcuff.... this kid Nash. Brown was again recently unable to practice with thus turf toe, and Nash is for now, next on the depth chart. Might turn out.... it was worth all the cursing Sarge threw at me in an IM! :D Followed the Kicker run. Hopefully this Raider O will let sebastian kick once in a while.

Edited by Rovers

Pick 24.07 (#283 overall) - From the "how was this guy still on the board" department, I took Ogunleye from my beloved Bears. He had a pretty weak second half of the season in '04, but showed enough flashes of brilliance pairing with Alex Brown and the rest of the improved Bear D. Definitely a top-20 D-Lineman, so he'll certainly be a solid backup to Peppers.

Pick 25.06 (#294 overall) - From the "crap, Sarge just took my guy" department, I ended up taking a backup CB with this pick. David Macklin put up some outstanding numbers in some games last season, so he'll more than suffice as a backup CB.

Pick 26.07 (#307 overall) - And from the "CYA" department, I needed to cover my somewhat risky Arrington pick. Lemar Marshall's slated to start in the middle for the Skins (unless they move Washington - a possibility), and could back up on the weak side if Arrington misses time. Either way, he's a solid backup LB for one of the top defenses in the league last season.

Edited by darin3

I thought Sarge was writing the IDP portion of the handbook? That's a surprise. Well, good luck with it darin!

816630[/snapback]

Draft is underway, its a slow draft, that we want to finish in 2 weeks time. This is to give each team  time to give brief paragraph as requested in the other thread about their team.

812068[/snapback]

Perhaps I drew an assumption that the mock - including our brief paragraphs - would be incorporated in the handbook.

Also, if MFL changes a players status during the season from now, a free extra add will be given, for up to 3 players on your team.

So we get 5 Free add/drops any week we choose excluding the playoffs with record waiver enforced on Tuesday, then FCFS after that during the week up until kickoff of the first NFL game of the week.

We get up to 2 free adds, if you place a player on IR, but it must be at the same position you placed the player on IR.

And finally you get up to 3 free adds, if MFL changes the status of a player from this draft until the playoffs begin.  .

So all in all there is a possability of 10 adds, if your very unlucky.

816650[/snapback]

... and no trades?