[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seeking advice/ideas from fellow FFL players

I have been running a 10 team league for 5 seasons. In the past we have always run a “Start-over” league, with a live serpentine draft (random picking order). Since our membership has been stable, I am considering instituting a bit of a dynasty flavor to our league this season.

Without totaling upsetting the apple cart, I thought of allowing each owner the option of keeping one player from their final 2004 roster – but if they do, they forfeit their 1st round pick in this year’s draft. Of course, they would have to make this decision prior to me picking the draft order.

Does anyone see any problems or issues with doing this? Is there a better way of making such a modification?

Thanks!

We are entering year 2 of a 3 year keeper league, each owner is allowed to keep 2 player per year, you cant keep the same guy twice and only one player per position ( ie: 1qb and 1 rb).

The thing with what you are suggesting is that i cant think of any time where a team did not at least have one player they would want to keep, so i think what you might want to do is maybe let everyone keep one player and then if they want to keep the second player then maybe they forfit a first rounder. and to make it fair to the last place guys i think you need to draft in reverse order, other wise the winner might get the first pick.

Edited by The Darkside

To put a little different spin my local 10-team league is a rookie keeper league. But the twist is you keep the rookie by giving up a round pick earlier than you drafted him the previous year and you can only keep them 1-year. You draft Carnell Williams in the 5th round this year you can keep him for a 4th round in 2006.

I brought a vote for keeping as many rookies as you like, and free agent rookies, and keeping them until they are a first round pick but these ideas were all shot down.

Just another idea beyond keeping 1-player and losing a first round pick. With that rule and if everyone keeps 1-player, why even lose a pick.

• 4 weeks later...
I have been running a 10 team league for 5 seasons.  In the past we have always run a “Start-over” league, with a live serpentine draft (random picking order).  Since our membership has been stable, I am considering instituting a bit of a dynasty flavor to our league this season.

Without totaling upsetting the apple cart, I thought of allowing each owner the option of keeping one player from their final 2004 roster – but if they do, they forfeit their 1st round pick in this year’s draft. Of course, they would have to make this decision prior to me picking the draft order.

Does anyone see any problems or issues with doing this? Is there a better way of making such a modification?

Thanks!

812721[/snapback]

I'm in the same shoes!! Only my league is going into year 2 but I have stated from the start I planned to make it into a keeper league! I think your Idea is cool and it will go over well in my opinion

To put a little different spin my local 10-team league is a rookie keeper league. But the twist is you keep the rookie by giving up a round pick earlier than you drafted him the previous year and you can only keep them 1-year.  You draft Carnell Williams in the 5th round this year you can keep him for a 4th round in 2006. 

I brought a vote for keeping as many rookies as you like, and free agent rookies, and keeping them until they are a first round pick but these ideas were all shot down.

Just another idea beyond keeping 1-player and losing a first round pick.  With that rule and if everyone keeps 1-player, why even lose a pick.

813341[/snapback]

I have heard of leagues doing it this wat as well although I havent been in any like this. The question I always wondered about was if your keeper was a FA pick up. For example a lot of people picked up Brees off of waivers last year. In a situation like this do they simply give up their draft pick for the final round?

I have heard of leagues doing it this wat as well although I havent been in any like this.  The question I always wondered about was if your keeper was a FA pick up.  For example a lot of people picked up Brees off of waivers last year.  In a situation like this do they simply give up their draft pick for the final round?

832437[/snapback]

The way we work the rookie keeper and free agents is they aren't eligible to be keepers.

Another league they are given a minimum draft round where any player kept loses a minimum of round 10 for example.

I also think that any league thinking of making it a keeper league has to make that decision at the draft. You can't institute a keeper rule before a draft because even if it is a 1-player keeper league you may draft a little differently. IMHO you need to start a brand new draft with the keeper rules you decide on in advance.

Try this:

After the draft, randomly draw a new order, and everyone selects one COLLEGE player. They can then choose to keep them the next season in lieu of their last draft spot. You can take underclassmen if you like, but it they don't come out, too bad for you (although you still get your last round pick). You thought college football was exciting, try it with this always in the back of your mind. We "pretended" this in one of my leagues last year, and I ended up with Cadillac (Braylon Edwards went the pick before). Oh, how I wish this had been for real.

We also did a sample draft in mini-dynasty format as follows:

You can't keep your first 2 picks

You could keep one of the previous 3rd-5th rounders by giving up a pick 2 rounds earlier

You could keep one of the previous 6th-10th rounders by giving up a pick 3 rounds earlier

You could keep one of the previous 11-15th rounders by giving up a pick 4 rounds earlier

You could keep one of the previous 16th rounder by giving up a pick 5 rounds earlier

In the event you keep 2 players that would cost the same (due to tier), one of the picks must be earlier).

For 4 potential keepers. So, as a sample draft (this wasn't the actual results, I don't remember them, but it's close enough):

Alexander

Owens

C Brown

Bulger

A Johnson

K Jones

Plummer

McGahee

Vanderjagt

Seattle

Anquin Boldin

Roy Williams

Quincy Morgan

Julius Jones

Harrington

Lamont Jordan

Can't keep Alexander or Owens

Choose - Brown (1st) Bulger (2nd) or A Johnson (3rd) or none

Choose - K Jones (3rd, 2nd if you kept Johnson above), Plummer (4th), McGahee (5th), Vanderjagt (6th) or Seattle (7th)

Choose - Boldin (7th, 6th if Seattle), Williams (8th), Morgan (9th), JJ (10th), or Harrington (11th).

Could keep Jordan for an 11th, 10th if you chose Harrington above.

So, probably would end up with

None from first tier

McGahee for a 5th from 2nd tier

Julius for a 10th from 3rd tier

Jordan for an 11th.

Keepers can be kept multiple years, so the next year McGahee would cost a 3rd, JJ a 7th, Jordan a 7th or 6th, etc.

The beauty of this is the studs always scroll back in, and eventually so do the "late round steals" - in this case, Jordan would be 11th the first year, 7th the second, 4th the 3rd, and 2nd the 4th, at worst. Rewards good drafting

I have been running a 10 team league for 5 seasons.  In the past we have always run a “Start-over” league, with a live serpentine draft (random picking order).  Since our membership has been stable, I am considering instituting a bit of a dynasty flavor to our league this season.

Thanks!

812721[/snapback]

I run a 10 team league and this is our 5th year with the same owners for the last 3 years running. Anytime I want to change the format I put it to a vote with majority rule. It seems to work out. If the rest of the league doesnt want what I want then it doesnt get changed. I try to keep everyone happy. If they vote in your idea then you dont have nothing to worry about "upsetting the apple cart". Just a thought.

Edited by goose228

I also think that any league thinking of making it a keeper league has to make that decision at the draft.  You can't institute a keeper rule before a draft because even if it is a 1-player keeper league you may draft a little differently.  IMHO you need to start a brand new draft with the keeper rules you decide on in advance.

832837[/snapback]

I agree but what MIT is trying to say is, if you are going to start a keeper league you need to start fresh. It's not fair to have had people draft last year thinking their roster is good for one year then tell them in the off-season that you want to go to a keeper format with existing players. Of course, if you're anxious to get the keeper thing started right away, then run it by your league mates. They may go for it as is. Chances are someone will find a problem with it though.

I agree but what MIT is trying to say is, if you are going to start a keeper league you need to start fresh.  It's not fair to have had people draft last year thinking their roster is good for one year then tell them in the off-season that you want to go to a keeper format with existing players.  Of course, if you're anxious to get the keeper thing started right away, then run it by your league mates.  They may go for it as is.  Chances are someone will find a problem with it though.

838410[/snapback]

Thanks. What he said.