[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

KC Chiefs D Update

Posted on Wed, Jun. 22, 2005

Four cornerbacks are due for a visit

The Chiefs moved to address their depth at cornerback by arranging visits with veterans Dewayne Washington, Aaron Beasley, Ashley Ambrose and Terrance Shaw.

All were scheduled to be at Arrowhead Stadium on Thursday.

Absent from the list is Ty Law, who first met with the Chiefs in March. The Chiefs have maintained a discussion with Law’s agent but have yet to schedule a follow-up visit to inspect the progress of his surgically repaired foot.

Cornerback depth became a concern for the Chiefs last weekend when they lost Julian Battle for the season with a torn Achilles’ tendon. The Chiefs also anticipate losing starter Eric Warfield for at least part of the season because of an NFL suspension.

Their other cornerbacks are veterans Patrick Surtain, Dexter McCleon and Benny Sapp, and rookies Alphonso Hodge, Justin Perkins and Gabriel Helms.

A look at the four scheduled visitors:

■ Washington, 32 and an 11-year veteran with Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Jacksonville, was the only one of the group to be a full-time starter last season. He had two interceptions last year in his only season with the Jaguars.

■ Beasley, 31, played nine seasons with Jacksonville, the New York Jets and Atlanta. He was a starter for most of his career until last year, when he was a reserve in his only season with the Falcons.

■ Ambrose, 34, played 13 seasons with Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Atlanta and New Orleans. A Pro Bowler in 1996 with the Bengals, Ambrose started six games for the Saints last season. He missed seven games because of a sore knee.

■ Shaw, 32, is a 10-year veteran with San Diego, Miami, New England, Oakland and Minnesota. He has been a part-time starter for the last several years, including last year with the Vikings.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly, Vermeil just said on the radio that Fujita should be ready by training camp, and Shawn Barber is coming along nicely but will probably be placed on the PUP list for the first 7 weeks...

Supposedly, Vermeil just said on the radio that Fujita should be ready by training camp, and Shawn Barber is coming along nicely but will probably be placed on the PUP list for the first 7 weeks...

850020[/snapback]

He also said that Maz has a tough road ahead of him ...

GRETZ: Off-Season Look: Defense

Jun 22, 2005, 8:16:32 AM by Bob Gretz

It can be seen in his eyes, on his face, and in the way he walked to practice each day. Gunther Cunningham is tired, very tired. He’s not quite exhausted, but he’s in the same zip code.

It has been six months of intense work for the Chiefs defensive coordinator. It has tested his abilities as a coach, teacher, administrator, talent evaluator, psychologist and coordinator. No stone was left unturned on how the team approaches defense. That’s what happens when you are trying to change a culture.

As the off-season program comes to an end this week with a few more days of work with the rookies and first-year players, Cunningham can see clearly ahead of him a few weeks on the rocky coast of Maine. And behind him, he can see a world of hard work by a lot of people that has improved the Chiefs defense.

“I looked at this as going through stages,” Cunningham said. “The first stage was the personnel stage, when we went out and found some players to plug into what we are doing here. That went very well. We found some talented guys.

“The second stage was the off-season work, to see how the new guys and the returning players got after what we wanted, not only on the field, but in the classroom. It was also a time to see how the staff got after things. That’s gone well.

“Now, I can’t wait until the third stage. That will come when we put the pads on and get to work in camp.”

Evaluating a defense after 15 practices (12 in OTA, three in mini-camp) where pads were not worn and hitting was not allowed is folly. Even in this day of high-tech football, stopping the other guy is still largely about being physical, hitting him in the face, play-after-play. Nobody knows that more than Cunningham.

Yet there’s no ignoring this fact: there’s a different face on the Chiefs defense right now. It’s a nastier face. It’s a quicker, faster and more athletic face. Progress has been made in changing the culture back to what Cunningham helped maintain in the 1990s, when the Chiefs were one of the most stifling and best “big play” defenses in the league. Takeaways are being stressed, as is putting pressure on the quarterback. Players and coaches are paying attention.

There’s a lot of road that must yet be traveled, and how the Chiefs defense handles a few of the detours along the way will ultimately reveal their strengths and weaknesses.

“Given our circumstances, I think we’ve done what’s possible to date,” said Cunningham. “We must continue that type of approach once we get to camp. We’ve had a lot of guys make a lot of progress. That can’t stop now.”

Checking out the Chiefs defensive roster position by position, here’s where Cunningham has seen improvement.

DEFENSIVE LINE: This is a big season for Ryan Sims. He must establish himself in the middle of the Chiefs defense as the sixth player taken in the draft. To date, he’s been mediocre. “We’ve worked very hard with Ryan, very hard on his footwork,” said Cunningham. “He has to get better.”

One player on the line who has gotten better is last year’s top choice Junior Siavii. “He came back and picked up where he left off at the end of last season,” said Cunningham. “He’s coming, if he keeps working, I’m not sure who will be the starter at left tackle, but he’ll be a factor.”

Last year’s rookie sensation DE Jared Allen began the off-season in Cunningham’s doghouse. “It’s tough sometimes for you guys to understand that what they did last year isn’t going to be good enough this year,” Cunningham said. “We had a few heart to heart talks and he’s come to understand that. He’s really gotten better over the last half of the OTAs.”

Part of the personnel infusion in the off-season was DE Carlos Hall, acquired in a trade from Tennessee.

“I saw him pass rushing during the mini-camp against Willie Roaf and I liked what I saw,” said Cunningham. “He’s still learning how to rush the passer. I think we have something there.”

LINEBACKER: “I’ve gone from thinking I didn’t have any linebackers who could play, to the group we have now in one year,” said Cunningham. “We’ve made a lot of progress.”

So far, the biggest name addition from the off-season, Kendrell Bell has slowly worked his way into the intricacies of the defense. “He’s going to be fine,” said Cunningham. “He’s so intense, sometimes he scares me. He’s going to be a major, major factor in what we do.”

No. 1 draft choice Derrick Johnson has been very visible and shown he can be a playmaker in this defense. “You’d have to be a blind man not to see what’s happening out there with him,” said Cunningham.

Maybe the two most improved players on the team in this off-season have been Kawika Mitchell and Keyaron Fox. These two young linebackers continually have turned up in the middle of plays.

“Through the first half of the OTAs, Keyaron Fox was the best player on the field,” said Cunningham. “It’s been a long off-season with Kawika. We had a lot of talks. I called him at his home. I’m sure there were times when he wanted to kill me.

“But it’s paid off on the field.”

DEFENSIVE BACK: By his own admission, CB Patrick Surtain is not yet comfortable with the Chiefs defense. “I love what Gunther wants to do, it’s in your face defense and that’s what every guy wants to play,” Surtain said. “I’m still trying to learn it all, make the right decisions out there. I’ll get there.”

Cunningham has no doubts. “It’s like he told the crowd during the open practice at Arrowhead,” the defensive coordinator said. “It’s not what’s on paper right now; it’s what’s on the field on September 11th against the New York Jets.

“He’ll be fine.”

But the Chiefs are not fine at cornerback. Eric Warfield is headed for a suspension to start the season, which could be as few as two games, or as many as four games. At a critical point of the season, they are going to be short-handed. Right now, with Julian Battle lost to an Achilles’ tendon injury, it figures that Dexter McCleon will be the starter opposite Surtain. And McCleon, recovering from off-season surgery, has been unable to practice throughout the practice sessions.

“Everyone else is going to have to help carry some of the water,” said Cunningham.

Don’t be surprised if the Chiefs add a veteran face on the corner before the start of training camp. They’ll look at a number of players over the next few weeks. The pickings are slim and former Patriots CB Ty Law is likely going to be too expensive if he’s recovered from his foot injury.

During the spring practices, the defense would always begin with a skull session, where the defense would walkthrough their reactions to different offensive formations. Cunningham would quiz various players about how the defense should handle individual situations. Some players would know, some would guess, others would freeze under Cunningham’s glare.

One player always knew the right answer: S Sammy Knight.

“If I was a player, I would want to be Sammy Knight,” said Cunningham. “He’s tough, he’s smart, he’s prepared and he’ll hit you.”

His presence has also made Greg Wesley a better player. After a sub-par 2004, Wesley has taken up the challenge that came with the signing of Knight. There’s no doubt he’ll be in the starting lineup. “I told him the other day, ‘Welcome back Greg’,” Cunningham said. “He’s really back to the guy I remember when we drafted him.”

For the next few weeks, Cunningham will enjoy some time with his family, maybe sleep in a few days and just try to gear down. Two parts of the work are done. More is ahead.

The work is never done when you are trying to change a culture.

Posted on Tue, Jun. 28, 2005

Law is still in Chiefs' picture

Ambrose, however, remains favorite

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

As week two of the Chiefs’ search for a cornerback began Monday, Ashley Ambrose emerged as the realistic favorite, and Ty Law kept his spot somewhere high on the speed dial.

Coach Dick Vermeil said Monday night that the Chiefs are “very interested” in Ambrose, a 13-year veteran who worked out in Kansas City late last week. The holdup, at least in part, is Law, the Pro Bowl corner who visited the Chiefs in March and is still on the market.

The Chiefs want Law if he will sign for a dramatically reduced price. But Law, who just began making cuts on his surgically repaired foot, reportedly wants big money.

“The thought is to play the whole scenario out,” Vermeil said, “and the scenario does include a final evaluation of Ty Law in terms of what is actually going to happen from a financial standpoint.

“First off, can he pass the physical? And then we have to find out how much money he’s going to be offered on the open market. If he’s going to be offered big money, then we’re automatically out of it.”

While Law was rehabbing his foot this spring, the Chiefs signed cornerback Patrick Surtain, safety Sammy Knight, linebacker Kendrell Bell and defensive end Carlos Hall. The defense appeared to be complete, but then Julian Battle tore his Achilles’ heel during minicamp June 18.

Battle was running with the first team because starter Eric Warfield may miss at least part of the season due to an NFL suspension.

So the Chiefs brought in four free-agent cornerbacks last week who are nearing the twilight of their careers, and Ambrose, 34, was the most impressive. He started six games last year for the Saints and was a Pro Bowler with the Bengals in 1996. After watching film on Ambrose, a 5-foot-11, 195-pound Louisiana native, Vermeil said it’s obvious he can still play.

Ambrose’s agent, Kennard McGuire, said three teams have shown “a tremendous amount of interest,” but Ambrose is patient and wants to find the right fit.

“He’s been to the Pro Bowl, he’s done extremely well from a contractual standpoint,” McGuire said. “I believe more pressing issue with him is being afforded that opportunity to play with a contender. He feels like this is one of situations he’s been waiting on.”

Ambrose will need patience. Vermeil, who’s vacationing in Pennsylvania, said it’s unclear how long the Chiefs will wait to sign a corner. Training camp starts July 28 in River Falls, Wis.

He said the Chiefs have no immediate plans to bring Law in for a physical.

“I think realistically that we, in the future, will make a move on Ashley,” Vermeil said. “Right now we’ve just decided to be patient and see what happens.”

KANSAS CITY AGREES TO TERMS WITH FREE AGENT CB ASHLEY AMBROSE

Jul 01, 2005, 11:26:04 AM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Friday that the club has agreed to terms of a one-year contract with free agent CB Ashley Ambrose. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement were made available.

Ambrose (5-10, 185) has played in 192 career regular season games (141 starts) with Indianapolis (’92-95), Cincinnati (’96-98), Atlanta (2000-02) and New Orleans (’99, 2003-04). He has recorded 550 tackles (458 solo), 42 interceptions (512 yards) with four TDs, 163 passes defensed, a sack (-10.0 yards), six fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. The New Orleans native has also started five postseason contests, including three with Indianapolis in ‘95 and two with Atlanta in 2002. Ambrose has 19 tackles (12 solo), an interception and 12 passes defensed in the playoffs.

Ambrose originally entered the NFL as a second-round draft pick (29th overall) of Indianapolis in the ‘92 NFL Draft. He enjoyed his best season in ‘96 when was named a Pro Bowl starter and selected the NFL Players Association AFC Defensive Back of the Year. He started all 16 games that season, registering 57 tackles (46 solo), a career-high eight interceptions, 20 passes defensed and one forced fumble.

Posted on Fri, Jul. 08, 2005

Popular linebacker focused on comeback

Maslowski works it out on his own

Future with the Chiefs hinges on recovery from knee injury

By ELIZABETH MERRILL The Kansas City Star

The compulsion to call Mike Maslowski has hit the old coach a couple of times, especially in the summer in Wisconsin, when the afternoons have a sticky two-a-day feel and the Chiefs are inching closer to training camp.

Roland Christensen stops and puts the phone down.

“I know he’s having trouble,” Christensen says. “I don’t want to impose on him too much.”

These are the times you leave “Maz” alone. In 19 days, the Chiefs leave for training camp, and the popular linebacker’s NFL future will hinge on how his surgically repaired knee holds up in River Falls. Coach Dick Vermeil says Maslowski is running at 100 percent. Maslowski isn’t saying much. He’s politely declined interview requests this summer because he doesn’t want to speak until he knows he’ll be back.

He spent offseason workouts alone, somewhere off to the side, smacking a sled while 80 sets of eyes were fixed somewhere else. When minicamp ended last month, the Chiefs broke for a short summer vacation. Maslowski left town to train at Athletes’ Performance, a high-tech workout facility in Tempe, Ariz.

If Maslowski makes it back, he’ll complete an excruciating journey that started 1½ seasons ago, when his knee twisted on Oct. 26, 2003, against Buffalo. He played two games after the injury, but was ineffective in both. If he doesn’t, he appears to have options. Christensen, his former defensive coordinator at Wisconsin-LaCrosse, says the Chiefs have told Maslowski they’ll try to find him a place in coaching, presumably in Kansas City.

“I expect him to be back and be competitive to go to work,” Vermeil says. “It’s tough when you lose all that time and all these other people come in. But that’s the National Football League. It’s almost unsympathetic because it doesn’t stand still and wait for you. It keeps going every day.”

The last time Maslowski played in a game, the Chiefs were 9-1, Derrick Johnson was a junior at the University of Texas, and Kansas City was awash with Super Bowl aspirations. Maslowski was the leader of the defense, the hard-hitting middle linebacker who broke the team tackles record in 2002.

With his shaved head and small-town underdog mentality, Maslowski quickly became a fan favorite. Local shops loaded the racks with No. 57 spamshirts. Maslowski, who grew up in Thorp, Wis., population 1,600, was a lesson in persistence. He went from Thorp to Division III football to NFL Europe to the Chiefs.

He was never extraordinarily gifted. Maz’s magic came in the weight room, in the 90-degree heat of offseason workouts, running when almost everybody had retreated to the locker room. On an average day this summer, while the other injured players roamed the sidelines and watched, Maslowski stood in the corner, away from the action, running and cutting and drilling on his own.

“He’s always been a very intense, serious, hard-working type of dude,” says linebacker Shawn Barber, who’s also out with a knee injury. “Having been here a couple of years, it’s hard for somebody to see a guy working all these extra hours and out there when everybody’s resting.

“He’s doing all these extra little things to get back. That’s just who he is.”

While Maslowski, Barber and Scott Fujita tried to rehab from injuries, the Chiefs loaded up on defense. Johnson was drafted in the first round and is expected to contend for a starting job at outside linebacker. The Chiefs also picked up linebacker Kendrell Bell from Pittsburgh, and the coaching staff has been encouraged by the progress of middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell.

Time didn’t stand still for Maz. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a place for him, linebackers coach Fred Pagac says. Pagac says he’s privately rooting for Maslowski because of everything he’s been through and the attitude he’s kept.

He bristles at the notion that fans are already writing him off as roster casualty.

“That’s why you have camp,” Pagac says. “Positions are open. We’ll make decisions as a staff, and we’re going to try to keep the best players, we’re going to try to win games. And if he’s one of the best players, he’ll be one of the guys.”

Christensen doesn’t want to bother his guy, so he keeps up on Maslowski’s progress through the Internet. He had lunch with him last summer during training camp, before Maslowski decided to have season-ending surgery.

He was practicing just once a day. That bothered him.

“I know this is eating at his gut big-time,” Christensen says.

“He will do anything he can to get back to 100 percent. If it can be done, Mike will do it.”

Not much chance ... I would bet he does not make the team ...

870607[/snapback]

I agree with this. He's definitely a longshot at this point.

And Beaumont, I'm not in any IDP leagues, but I enjoy seeing your updates and your commitment to providing info regarding the Chiefs D. :D

Thanks CD ... now on a more disappointing, but fully expected note ...

Chiefs | Warfield to be Suspended Four Games

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:08:18 -0700

Sports Radio 810 WHB.com reports they have learned Kansas City Chiefs CB Eric Warfield will be suspended for the first four games of the NFL season for violating the league's substance abuse and alcohol policy.

Thanks CD ... now on a more disappointing, but fully expected note ...

Chiefs | Warfield to be Suspended Four Games

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:08:18 -0700

Sports Radio 810 WHB.com reports they have learned Kansas City Chiefs CB Eric Warfield will be suspended for the first four games of the NFL season for violating the league's substance abuse and alcohol policy.

875715[/snapback]

Heard this on the way home from work.

• 2 weeks later...

Chiefs | Caver Looking to Start

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:52:25 -0700

David Showers, of the Northwest Arkansas Times, reports although he is listed as No. 2 on the depth chart Kansas City Chiefs LB Quinton Caver is looking for a starting spot. "Gunther (Cunningham, the Chiefs' defensive coordinator) reiterated that no starters are set in stone," Caver said. "Everything is open at camp." Caver hopes to be part of a resurgent Kansas City defense during the 2005 campaign. Cunningham has hinted at using a 3-4 alignment in passing situations this year, which would give Caver more opportunities to play. Cunningham's defense is unusual because the outside linebackers aren't distinguished by weak or strong designations. Caver thinks the defense will catch up with the offense. It will have to for the Chiefs to realize their potential. "We only have one goal," Caver said. "We want to get to Detroit for the Super Bowl."

Get on that phone, Peterson...go earn your enormous salary.

876277[/snapback]

Or maybe not ...

Chiefs | Peterson Discusses Law

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:58:57 -0700

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports Kansas City Chiefs vice president/general manager Carl Peterson downplayed reports about free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots) upon his return from vacation Wednesday, July 20. "I wouldn't worry about Ty Law at this point," he said. "You're talking to the horse's mouth here. We have had no conversations with Ty Law or with his agent specific to a contract. Never have. We haven't made a contract offer to him. I won't make a contract offer to a player until I get to see him really actually work out. That's what my job is, and he hasn't been able to do that yet." Peterson said that the Chiefs had long anticipated CB Eric Warfield's absence, which is why they signed veteran CB Ashley Ambrose earlier this month. "People here are putting an awful lot of emphasis on Ty Law," Peterson said. "Well, we've already made decisions. I had to make a decision on whether we sit and wait for Ty Law or make the trade for CB Patrick Surtain. That decision is made. There's only so many dollars." "If Ty Law, once he gets well, has an interest in the Chiefs for a contract that makes sense to us, then I'm happy to talk with him," Peterson said. "But right now my understanding is he's looking for a big contract, but he's not even physically well yet."

I heard it discussed on local sports talk a week or two ago, and I was sorta turned around on my positioning on this...not sure I've turned my position, but, may have turned my position...

If Law is going to be a Chief, several veterans will have to restructure to make it happen. If some of those vets are very well liked and very well respected, it will not be a happy time (hey, you, you've been here for ____ years, cut your salary so we can pay some 80% player enormous $$$ to come in and see if he can fit in). The point was that if Law comes in w/ a big contract, it's only going to happen if veterans give up some of their compensation to do so...which will make the chemistry in the lockerroom pretty contentious...which is generally not a good thing.

Chiefs | Maslowski Likely Headed to the Physically Unable to Perform List

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:08:13 -0700

Bob Gretz, of KCChiefs.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs LB Mike Maslowski (knee) will likely start training camp on the active/ physically unable to perform list. Maslowski's status after the surgery performed last year on his left knee remains very questionable.

Chiefs | Fujita Likely Headed to the Physically Unable to Perform List

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:06:59 -0700

Bob Gretz, of KCChiefs.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs LB Scott Fujita (ankle) will likely start training camp on the active/ physically unable to perform list. He is recovering from surgery to remove bone chips from his right ankle in April and figures to be able to work before the Chiefs pre-season is over.

Chiefs | Barber Likely Headed to the Physically Unable to Perform List

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:06:34 -0700

Bob Gretz, of KCChiefs.com, reports Kansas City Chiefs LB Shawn Barber (knee) will likely start training camp on the active/ physically unable to perform list. He likely will not be ready to practice at full speed until September.

Also, to quote the agent for Derrick Johnson, "There don't appear to be any issues that I know of that will keep Derrick from signing soon."

Which either means, "I'm going to try to make Carl Peterson look like the bad guy for a negotiation process that is going nowhere" ... or ... "Derrick Johnson should be signed soon and in camp to help the Chiefs try to win the Super Bowl" ...

C'mon Rich Scanlon!!!

PS - Detroit is currently "crunching the numbers" on an offer to Ty Law (who passed a physical, too).

894467[/snapback]

scanlon??? come on.....as a chief fan don't you want to be screaming at the t.v. BOOMER!!!!!

boomer lowers the boom. crunched by boomer!!!

scanlon???  come on.....as a chief fan don't you want to be screaming at the t.v. BOOMER!!!!!

boomer lowers the boom.  crunched by boomer!!!

896702[/snapback]

Can you imagine how much fun Madden could have with Boomer Grigsby?

Posted on Wed, Jul. 27, 2005

Click to learn more...

R E L A T E D C O N T E N T

Chiefs linebacker Scott Fujita drilled Detroit quarterback Joey Harrington during Kansas City's 45-17 win in 2003. Fujita is coming off surgery but is cleared to practice during training camp.

JOE LEDFORD/The Kansas City Star

Chiefs linebacker Scott Fujita drilled Detroit quarterback Joey Harrington during Kansas City's 45-17 win in 2003. Fujita is coming off surgery but is cleared to practice during training camp.

More photos

Linebackers new, old will jam Chiefs’ camp

One fresh face is still missing

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs are facing a sudden logjam of bodies at linebacker as training camp begins, but it’s unlikely that the pileup will include first-round draft choice Derrick Johnson.

Scott Fujita and Mike Maslowski, two former starting linebackers coming off surgeries, have been cleared to practice when camp starts Thursday. The extent of their participation will be determined when the Chiefs put them through a workout that day.

Wide receivers Marc Boerigter and Chris Horn, who also are coming back from surgeries, will be put through similar workouts. All four might start camp on the physically unable to perform list. Depending on results of their workouts, they could be activated and practicing Friday.

A third injured former starting linebacker, Shawn Barber, will not be ready when camp begins, though he might be activated later in camp or after the regular season begins.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs are making little apparent progress in contract negotiations with Johnson, increasing the possibility he won’t be with the team today when it leaves for River Falls, Wis., or on the practice field Thursday.

“There’s nothing to talk about,” said Johnson’s agent, Vann McElroy. “We haven’t even talked the past couple of days.”

But McElroy wasn’t willing to predict that Johnson won’t be under contract in time to practice Thursday.

“These things take a life of their own when you get close to the reporting date,” he said. “I’m hoping we’ll get something done. Certainly our desire is to get him in on time.”

The Chiefs did make progress with some of their other draft picks. They agreed to contract terms with third-round punter Dustin Colquitt, fifth-round cornerback Alphonso Hodge and seventh-round quarterback James Kilian.

Colquitt and Hodge received three-year deals, and Kilian agreed to a two-year contract. Colquitt received a signing bonus of about $450,000, and Kilian got about $30,000, according to sources familiar with those contracts. Figures for Hodge were unavailable.

In addition to Johnson, fourth-round wide receiver Craphonso Thorpe and both sixth-round picks, defensive end Khari Long and offensive lineman Will Svitek, are unsigned.

Fifth-round linebacker Boomer Grigsby and seventh-round offensive lineman Jeremy Parquet signed earlier.

If Fujita and Maslowski join the Chiefs for practice by Friday, the Chiefs would have four linebackers who have been regular NFL starters. In the mix are Johnson, who probably will claim a starting spot on the outside once he signs, and Keyaron Fox, who was starting ahead of Johnson when offseason practice concluded last month.

Fujita and Maslowski may find it difficult to win back their old starting jobs. Johnson and Fox played Fujita’s spot on the left side during offseason practices while Kawika Mitchell, Rich Scanlon and Grigsby are in line ahead of Maslowski at middle linebacker.

The Chiefs signed Kendrell Bell to play Barber’s position on the right side.

“Competition brings out the best in people,” Fujita said. “It’s good to shake some things up. A lot of guys have been able to slip into a comfort zone the last couple of years at all positions on defense.”

Fujita played most of last season on an injured ankle but didn’t have corrective surgery until April. The Chiefs were initially concerned that Fujita wouldn’t return until much later in the season.

But Fujita, who missed all of the offseason practices, maintained an ambitious rehabilitation schedule and appears ready to beat the original timetable.

“We’ll see if I’m going to go two-a-days right off the bat or not,” he said. “That remains to be seen. But I’m feeling really good. I’ve done everything in my power to get myself ready to play. We’ve had some ups and downs, but for the most part everything’s gone well.”

Maslowski was the Chiefs’ starting middle linebacker in 2003 when he injured a knee midway through the season. He has not played since, leaving the Chiefs to wonder whether his career was finished.

Maslowski had an unorthodox surgery last year to repair the knee.

“With that kind of injury, you never know until you get out there and test it,” said Maslowski’s agent, Joe Linta. “The surgery he had was rare. There’s not much documentation on it.”

Posted on Thu, Jul. 28, 2005

Chiefs sign cornerback — no, not Ty Law

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — The Chiefs added a veteran cornerback today, but his name isn’t Ty Law.

It’s Dewayne Washington, an 11-year veteran with Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. Washington was one of four veteran cornerbacks to visit with the Chiefs earlier this summer and the second to sign. The Chiefs recently added Ashley Ambrose as well.

The 32-year-old Washington, who signed a one-year contract, was to be on the practice field when the Chiefs begin training camp this afternoon.

Washington joins Ambrose, Dexter McCleon and Benny Sapp in a group of cornerbacks competing for one starting spot. Patrick Surtain owns one starting position while the other starter, Eric Warfield, was suspended for the regular season’s first four games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

I dont think he's looking at law at all ... they keep harping about the lack of physical ... no physicalm, no interest ...

On the other hand, Kawika Mitchell is looking good so far in camp ...

Posted on Fri, Jul. 29, 2005

Mitchell

Mitchell grabs attention

Linebacker makes interception, lifts defensive spirits

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

RIVER FALLS, Wis. — It was but one measly play and might be long forgotten as Chiefs training camp rolls on.

But for one day, it was more than enough to provide encouragement to a defense sorely in need. The first big defensive play of camp Thursday was provided not by a big-money newcomer such as Patrick Surtain, Sammy Knight or Kendrell Bell but someone just as important in his own way.

Middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell, showing keen anticipation, jumped into a passing lane, intercepted a Trent Green pass intended for Freddie Mitchell and set out for the end zone the other way.

That set off a minor celebration and brought a smile to some weary faces.

“That play is indicative of the improvement trend around here,” said defensive end Eric Hicks, one of the weariest of those faces. “Kawika is a prime example of what’s happening. He’s a guy who had to play early, got thrown into the fire and got baptized by fire in some pretty big games and pretty big situations.

“Now he understands how to play football and how to prepare better and where he’s supposed to be.”

It may be early to declare Mitchell an improved player, though he had a nice opening practice. He was a consistent factor in the running game. The offense stretched the running game from sideline to sideline but never could shake Mitchell’s presence.

Still, Hicks’ optimism is easy to understand. He’s been around long enough to have played on some solid defenses and with premier players such as Derrick Thomas, James Hasty and Dale Carter.

He took the fall of the defense harder than most, his frustration occasionally boiling over when he would erupt at a teammate or reporter.

It makes sense, then, that Hicks was cheered like few others when the Chiefs got serious about repairing their defense. As they added one piece after another — first linebacker Bell, then safety Knight, cornerback Surtain and finally linebacker Derrick Johnson — Hicks found it harder and harder to contain his enthusiasm.

“That whole thing energized me,” he said. “It lets you know management and (owner Lamar) Hunt are really committed to winning. They gave us a chance to go out and make some real improvement.

“It’s exciting. They paid a lot of money for those guys, and they brought them here for a reason. Everybody is really keyed in, really concentrating. Our mental mistakes were way down from where they used to be.”

That Mitchell was the early star makes things that much sweeter. Mitchell was a considerable part of the defensive problem last year and appeared to be one of the weak links heading into camp.

That’s why the Chiefs won’t look at Mitchell’s interception as just one insignificant play.

“Every play means something, even in training camp,” Knight said. “That’s whether you make a mistake or make a big play. If you make a mistake, you grow from it. You make a great play, you’ve got to do it again the next time. We expect things like that out of Kawika. We need him to make plays like that all the time.”

The Chiefs are racing the clock, trying to fit together so many new parts in a short period of time. The Sept. 11 regular-season opener against the Jets at Arrowhead is followed by games against Oakland, Denver and Philadelphia, meaning the Chiefs’ margin for error is little in the first month of the year.

“We’ve got to be ready for the first game because we have no option,” Knight said. “Nobody’s going to feel sorry for the Chiefs if we’re not ready to play against the Jets.”

Coach Dick Vermeil didn’t sound concerned. He considered three weeks of training camp and three more weeks of practice in Kansas City plenty of time to straighten out any problems.

“I don’t think it’s a problem,” Vermeil said. “It’s easy to write about and talk about, but there’s so many (offseason practices) and meetings that we line up and practice today as if we’ve been practicing for two weeks. It’s different than it used to be when you didn’t have all that time with your players.”

Yet, after an encouraging first day, some are considering that race against time to be the Chiefs’ main problem.

“The sky is the limit for us if you’re talking about the talent on this team,” Surtain said. “We have so many playmakers on defense. We’ve just got to put it together and get it done on the field. Anytime you can bring in a Derrick Johnson and a Kendrell Bell, you’ve improved your team. Those guys are football players.”