[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colts IDP

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Pope gotten any reps at MLB?

920005[/snapback]

I don't think so. He has been working as David Thornton's back-up at strong-side linebacker.

The depth chart for the Colts middle linebacker spot:

1. Gary Brackett

2. Rob Morris

3. Tyjuan Hagler

• 2 weeks later...
I know that Marlin Jackson was drafted as a CB and is playing there now - and looking good per your and other reports.  What do you make of the rumors I heard a couple of months ago of him being moved to FS after a year or two?

940373[/snapback]

No such rumors here in Indy. Although he is a versatile player that played safety in college, the Colts need cornerbacks. He will be a corner for a while.

How's Bob Sanders looking this summer? I think he's got a real shot and being a fantasy STUD. Loved him in limited action last season.

941586[/snapback]

He's looked fantastic. Unfortunately, he "strained a leg muscle" in the game against the Bears. Dungy said he will "miss a little time". Whether that means days or weeks, and the exact nature of the injury, is unclear.

If this guy can stay healthy, he is a SUPER STUD. Last year, he had a foot injury from college that did not allow him to play the first several weeks of the season. Then, after playing well at strong safety, he sprained a knee on kick-off coverage at Chicago. Hopefully he can shake these nagging injuries, but he is not a big guy.

Dungy said Sanders likely will not play until at least the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens on September 11, with Jackson expected to miss the preseason game Saturday against Denver.

“It’s going to be at least two weeks,” Dungy said of Sanders. “That’s best case.”

Edited by CaptainHook

Dungy said Sanders likely will not play until at least the season opener against the Baltimore Ravens on September 11, with Jackson expected to miss the preseason game Saturday against Denver.

“It’s going to be at least two weeks,” Dungy said of Sanders. “That’s best case.”

945085[/snapback]

Jackson? What happened to Jackson? :D

What do you think Corey Simon is going to do for that defense?  Personally, I think this gives the LB's a huge IDP boost and this makes Simon one of the better IDP UT's. 

What has Dungy said so far about how he'll use him?

963227[/snapback]

They will use him very differently than Philly did. He said in Philly, the DT's are asked to take on blockers so that the LB's can make plays. In Indy, the DT's are asked to get up field and be disruptive in the backfield. That was Simon's role at FSU. Corey is very excited to get back to that kind of system. Dwight Freeney is the one who is ecstatic. He's gonna be seeing less double teams.

That was my understanding too, Hook. I think he's going to be a true UT, and on Indy's turf with Freeny on the outside that could make him very valuable.

Also, I think the LB's will be freed up a bit to make plays. This may make everyone better among the front 7.

It looks like Montae Reagor will miss the season opener against Baltimore with a groin injury. Larry Tripplett and Corey Simon should start. The Colts say they will limit Simon to 25-30 plays, but they really don't have anyone to back him up, with Reagor being hurt. Darrell Reid a rookie UFA from Minnesota will see some playing time at DT, as will Raheem Brock.

It also appears unlikely that rookie CB Marlin Jackson will play either. He hurt his shoulder in the pre-season finale against Cincinnati, and has not been able to participate fully in practice. He is listed as "questionable" but Dungy said he is more likely "doubtful". The Colts starting CB's will be Nick Harper and Jason David. Donald Strickland will be the nickelback. Rookie second-round pick Kelvin Hayden willl see some action as well.

Free safety Bob Sanders WILL play. Joseph Jefferson will be the strong safety.

Edited by CaptainHook

Week 2 vs. Jacksonville:

CB Donald Strickland was placed on IR with a hamstring injury and will miss the rest of the year. This guy cannot stay healthy.

SS Joseph Jefferson is listed as OUT for the Jax game with turf toe. It's a good thing Mike Doss' suspension was shortened. It looks like he will start.

FS Bob Sanders is listed as questionable with a concussion, but he did practice Wednesday.

These four guys will probably be on the injury report every week. They just cannot stay injury free.

Rookie CB Marlin Jackson missed the opener, but will play against Jacksonville.

Larry Tripplett is listed as questionable and did not practice Wednesday with a knee injury. They are optimistic he will practice Thursday. Tripplett has slimmed down under 300 lbs. this year and looked good against Baltimore ringing up two sacks. I'm sure the fact Baltimore had to worry about Simon and Freeney had a lot to do with that.

Montae Reagor missed the opener but returned to practice Wednesday and says he will play Sunday. The Colts will limit his snaps so as not to aggravate the groin pull that has caused him to miss all of the preseason and Week 1.

Back-up linebacker Gilbert Gardner is OUT with a sprained ankle. Rookie defensive linemen Vincent Burns and Jonathan Welsh are also OUT.

Edited by CaptainHook

Week 2 vs. Jacksonville:

CB Donald Strickland was placed on IR with a hamstring injury and will miss the rest of the year.  This guy cannot stay healthy.

SS Joseph Jefferson is listed as OUT for the Jax game with turf toe.  It's a good thing Mike Doss' suspension was shortened.  It looks like he will start.

FS Bob Sanders is listed as questionable with a concussion, but he did practice Wednesday.

These four guys will probably be on the injury report every week.  They just cannot stay injury free.

Rookie CB Marlin Jackson missed the opener, but will play against Jacksonville.

Larry Tripplett is listed as questionable and did not practice Wednesday with a knee injury.  They are optimistic he will practice Thursday.  Tripplett has slimmed down under 300 lbs. this year and looked good against Baltimore ringing up two sacks.  I'm sure the fact Baltimore had to worry about Simon and Freeney had a lot to do with that.

Montae Reagor missed the opener but returned to practice Wednesday and says he will play Sunday.  The Colts will limit his snaps so as not to aggravate the groin pull that has caused him to miss all of the preseason and Week 1.

Back-up linebacker Gilbert Gardner is OUT with a sprained ankle.  Rookie defensive linemen Vincent Burns and Jonathan Welsh are also OUT.

990304[/snapback]

Geez, do they anyone left :D

• 2 weeks later...

Marlin Jackson has been getting work as a starting cornerback in practice this week, and will see some snaps in the base defense. He had been playing solely as the nickel corner.

I have not heard which corner he will be replacing, Harper or David.

Edited by CaptainHook

Please don't misunderstand this as casting bait toward Sarge, but I need someone to explain to me how/why the Cover-2 system "funnels" plays to the weak side. Again, I'm not trying to be antagonistic -- I'm honestly curious why I've heard that several times.

I've played and watched a TON of football (not to mention my vast experience in the Madden game :D) and I've tried to come up with a reason why a WLB in a Cover-2 would get more action than a WLB in any other 4-3 scheme.

Capt -- I'm counting on YOU. Give me some answers. :D