[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV NFL Sunday Package price this year...

Called DirecTV up and the price for the NFL package this year for repeat customers is $199, or 4 payments of $49 and some change...up from $179 from last year...

I remember being on the phone with the guy in 2004 and ranting about the price going up every year and saying 'I'm canceling my subscription if the rate ever goes above $200'...obviously they don't want to lose me... :D

I've been reading elsewhere that they'll be charging an additional fee on top of the $199.00, to watch the games in HDTV.

Any truth to that? :D

824169[/snapback]

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is yes and no. You have to pay for the HD package, which gets you all the HD movie channels and such. It is like an extra 5 or 10 a month, if you are not currently getting it.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is yes and no.  You have to pay for the HD package, which gets you all the HD movie channels and such.  It is like an extra 5 or 10 a month, if you are not currently getting it.

824185[/snapback]

That's not correct. The new rates are for stadard definition and you must pay an additional $99 for HD. No other HD package includes the NFL games. See this link for DirecTV griping central. To quote Bush, I think they misunderestimated their viewership on this one.

Buy sirius radio. sit at the computer with your homer game on the tube and listen to the rest while going through your FF scores on the net. Then call up the person you're playing that week and lay into them at the pounding you're giving them. :D

Buy sirius radio. sit at the computer with your homer game on the tube and listen to the rest while going through your FF scores on the net. Then call up the person you're playing that week and lay into them at the pounding you're giving them.  :D

824341[/snapback]

Watching the game is not important to you?? :D:D

Watching the game is not important to you??  :D  :D

824386[/snapback]

Well, once you figure out that you are in the skybox, on the Huddle MB, at NFL.com tracking stats, have half a dozen windows open in MFL tracking your leagues, AND have the ticket.... well.... you really don't watch much of any game. :D

Buy sirius radio. sit at the computer with your homer game on the tube and listen to the rest while going through your FF scores on the net. Then call up the person you're playing that week and lay into them at the pounding you're giving them.  :D

824341[/snapback]

Not when you play me, Sally.

The real problem is for HD customers... who have to pay the price increase, plus they aren't getting the games in HD this year unless they pay another $99 on top of that.

824582[/snapback]

Atomic is correct. If you had HD last year, it only cost you $179 for ST and the HD games. Now it will cost you $219 + $99. :D

As I posted in the tailgate yesterday, you need to work a credit with DirecTV. BigJim also posts a pretty informative link here.

Edited by georgemoe

But if you sign up for the HD package don't you also get a feature where you can watch any game later that night in something like 30-minutes? I thought I read that, which sounds really sweet. I don't have an HD TV, but this sounds very intriguing without taking advantage of the HD.

But if you sign up for the HD package don't you also get a feature where you can watch any game later that night in something like 30-minutes?  I thought I read that, which sounds really sweet.  I don't have an HD TV, but this sounds very intriguing without taking advantage of the HD.

824676[/snapback]

It might be called "Superfan" or something like that. I'll have to check out the details. Thanks MIT.

I just don't know what all the fuss is about.

This is a board populated by over-the-top, rabid, died-in-the-wool, football junkies that would run over their own mother to get to the TV after a commercial break. You can't tell me that anyone with the ticket is going to cancel just because of a couple of bucks. Heck most of you probably drop more than that when you take your hand out of your pocket to pay for the pizza and beer.

Believe me.... DirecTV know this. They will push as far as they can because they are taking advantage of the fastest growing 'hobby' in the world today.

Believe me.... DirecTV know this. They will push as far as they can because they are taking advantage of the fastest growing 'hobby' in the world today.

824689[/snapback]

And exactly why DirecTV will continue to keep exclusive rights to this. I just wish they could work out something with the blacked-out games showing on national TV.

And exactly why DirecTV will continue to keep exclusive rights to this. I just wish they could work out something with the blacked-out games showing on national TV.

824693[/snapback]

While the NFL continues to receive billions from network tv... we are stuck with things the way they are forever I think. Though, now that I think about it, isn't DirecTV going to have to share in the future? Somewhere around 2010 or something like that.

While the NFL continues to receive billions from network tv... we are stuck with things the way they are forever I think. Though, now that I think about it, isn't DirecTV going to have to share in the future? Somewhere around 2010 or something like that.

824703[/snapback]

That is possible, I am not sure. I know they were lucky to keep extend their current contract this past year (?).

Well, I can't find where things are supposed to change when the contract is up... but I did find where the contract runs through 2007.

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/dec02/58.html

I do know that when the NFL offered the ticket, or parts of it, to cable they couldn't get any of the cable companies to even return their phone calls and that was why DirecTV could get an all-exclusive contract.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2006 as things near the end for DirecTV as it is a HUGH cash cow for them.

17+ billion for the NFL from the media for current contracts... you just can't beat that with a stick.

Well, once you figure out that you are in the skybox, on the Huddle MB, at NFL.com tracking stats, have half a dozen windows open in MFL tracking your leagues, AND have the ticket.... well.... you really don't watch much of any game. :D

824485[/snapback]

Sky pretty much covered it. All I really have the time to watch is what's televised here anyway. Sirius is the only way for me to keep track on Sundays. The games I coach with the older kids take up most of Sunday. Before Sirius I had the guy in the box listen to the scores and announce them over the P.A. :D

I'm thinking about getting it for the first time. Have a couple questions...

-is it only available thru DirecTV?...(not Dish TV or anything else)

-don't you go crazy trying to watch all those different games @ once? ( I don't want to just watch my favorite team every week)

Well, I can't find where things are supposed to change when the contract is up... but I did find where the contract runs through 2007.

http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/news/dec02/58.html

I do know that when the NFL offered the ticket, or parts of it, to cable they couldn't get any of the cable companies to even return their phone calls and that was why DirecTV could get an all-exclusive contract.

Will be interesting to see what happens in 2006 as things near the end for DirecTV as it is a HUGH cash cow for them.

17+ billion for the NFL from the media for current contracts... you just can't beat that with a stick.

824981[/snapback]

Actually, DirecTV has extended their exclusive contract on ST through the 2010 season.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/head...?id=11_08_2004B

I have not decided what I'm going to do about ST & the $99 charge for HD this season.

I'm thinking about getting it for the first time. Have a couple questions...

-is it only available thru DirecTV?...(not Dish TV or anything else)

-don't you go crazy trying to watch all those different games @ once? ( I don't want to just watch my favorite team every week)

826028[/snapback]

not available with anything other than directv.

you can go crazy, but don't have to. it has a feature that lets you know when a team is in the red zone..... plus i find a couple of games with most of my players and stay with them... and occationally flip to the others to check in.

You can't tell me that anyone with the ticket is going to cancel just because of a couple of bucks.

824689[/snapback]

Actually, that's wrong skylive5.

Last year for $179, subscribers to the Sunday Ticket got all games in HD. A lot of these folks with HD capable TV's are tech junkies. Almost to a T, they have broadband internet, with a sizeable portion getting their broadband via cable.

This year the Sunday Ticket with games in HD, jumps to $300.00 for early/renewal subscribers. $320.00 otherwise.

Considering how many Sunday Ticket games are blacked out combined with the fact that now Fox, CBS & ESPN broadcast all their games in HD, previous years subscribers to the Sunday Ticket with Cable broadband are not only NOT renewing their Sunday Ticket package, but are cancelling their entire Direct TV package completely and switching to Cable.

These folks now get the price break for bundling their Cable Broadband & Cable TV (which they weren't getting before) and as a matter of course, all the NFL games televised are automatically in HD. Throw in the fact they can now completly cut ties with Ma Bell and go VoIP, enjoying it's savings - vs - traditional phone service (don't need a land line to dial in to Direct TV for ordering or Tivo anymore) and it's pushed even more to say screw you Rupert.

I think the bean counters over at Direct TV miscalculated the price increase and the resulting fallout from it.

So what Direct TV now has managed to do with it's pricing, is not only see previous year to year rock solid subscribers to the Sunday Ticket not renew, but they've incidentally increased cancellations to Direct TV altogether.

Can you say oops! :D