[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV NFL Sunday Package price this year...

I wonder how long it'll be before the devil....I mean Comcast gets in on NFL Sunday Ticket....maybe they'll charge more...I mean less than DTV...

I have a sweet HDTV and would look forward to watching the games in High Def...

I wonder how long it'll be before the devil....I mean Comcast gets in on NFL Sunday Ticket....maybe they'll charge more...I mean less than DTV...

826449[/snapback]

Sunday Ticket doesn't come up for bidding again until 2010.

Considering how many Sunday Ticket games are blacked out combined with the fact that now Fox, CBS & ESPN broadcast all their games in HD,

Not quite true. It has not been announced how many games FOX & CBS will be broadcasting in HD. It is not expected that either network will do ALL their games in HD this season. FOX will probably do exactly the same as last year (up to 6 a week), and we have no idea what CBS will do.

Not quite true.  It has not been announced how many games FOX & CBS will be broadcasting in HD.  It is not expected that either network will do ALL their games in HD this season.  FOX will probably do exactly the same as last year (up to 6 a week), and we have no idea what CBS will do.

826466[/snapback]

Is that for sure, or are you just guessing?

Is that for sure, or are you just guessing?

826482[/snapback]

I follow the boards over at www.avsforum.com, and they have a guy named Ken H who has amazingly accurate sources with all the networks, etc. He was originally very optimistic about CBS having most games in HD. The last he stated on the topic, was on 3/26, but he was no longer optimistic about all games from CBS being in HD. He didn't say how many would/would not, but he was not optimistic about all.

Here is the thread. It's an interesting read if you care about HD football.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....15&page=1&pp=30

That's by far and large, a good forum.

Maybe this guy Ken H with his network sources knows what he's talking about, maybe he doesn't.

What I'm getting from you though, is that you don't really know how many games Fox & CBS are going to broadcast in HD? :D

That's by far and large, a good forum.

Maybe this guy Ken H with his network sources knows what he's talking about, maybe he doesn't.

What I'm getting from you though, is that you don't really know how many games Fox & CBS are going to broadcast in HD? :D

826612[/snapback]

No, I don't know, nobody at this point knows until it is announced. But I would not bet against Ken H. Don't count on all games in HD.

Last year for $179, subscribers to the Sunday Ticket got all games in HD. A lot of these folks with HD capable TV's are tech junkies. Almost to a T, they have broadband internet, with a sizeable portion getting their broadband via cable.

This year the Sunday Ticket with games in HD, jumps to $300.00 for early/renewal subscribers. $320.00 otherwise.

Considering how many Sunday Ticket games are blacked out combined with the fact that now Fox, CBS & ESPN broadcast all their games in HD, previous years subscribers to the Sunday Ticket with Cable broadband are not only NOT renewing their Sunday Ticket package, but are cancelling their entire Direct TV package completely and switching to Cable.

I think the bean counters over at Direct TV miscalculated the price increase and the resulting fallout from it.

So what Direct TV now has managed to do with it's pricing, is not only see previous year to year rock solid subscribers to the Sunday Ticket not renew, but they've incidentally increased cancellations to Direct TV altogether.

Can you say oops! :D

826263[/snapback]

I agree enough is enough, there is no way I'm gonna pony up an extra 99$ for services that were included in the package last year.

But the part I love is all the extra features they have put into the superfan package,(selectable game angles, 8 games on 1 screen, etc.) the catch you can't use any of them because they require a 2 way interactive box that won't even be available till after the season starts.

Botom line D* is charging 99$ extra to get the games in HD, as much as I hate to do it, a line has been crossed and dumping D* all togehter is my response.

But the part I love is all the extra features they have put into the superfan package,(selectable game angles, 8 games on 1 screen, etc.) the catch, you can't use any of them because they require a 2 way interactive box that won't even be available till after the season starts.

828894[/snapback]

What a freakin' rip off. :D

The boys at Direct TV came up with a doozy there. I can see them huddled around a boardroom discussing their pricing strategies. One of their bean counters must've come up with it.

I bet it went something like this;

[Headbeancounter] "We need to increase the revenues from Sunday Ticket this year."

[Juniorbeancounter]"Hey I know, lets put together a package with a bunch of bells & whistles and charge 'em an extra $100.00 per month. We can call it the SuperFan package. One thing though, we don't have the equipment yet, to make the extras work.

[Headbeancounter] "Who cares? We'll make it a prerequisite that to get HD, you have to subscribe to the SuperFan package. They'll never notice the extras don't work. Lets do it!" :D

Actually, that's wrong skylive5.

Last year for $179, subscribers to the Sunday Ticket got all games in HD. A lot of these folks with HD capable TV's are tech junkies. Almost to a T, they have broadband internet, with a sizeable portion getting their broadband via cable.

This year the Sunday Ticket with games in HD, jumps to $300.00 for early/renewal subscribers. $320.00 otherwise.

Considering how many Sunday Ticket games are blacked out combined with the fact that now Fox, CBS & ESPN broadcast all their games in HD, previous years subscribers to the Sunday Ticket with Cable broadband are not only NOT renewing their Sunday Ticket package, but are cancelling their entire Direct TV package completely and switching to Cable.

These folks now get the price break for bundling their Cable Broadband & Cable TV (which they weren't getting before) and as a matter of course, all the NFL games televised are automatically in HD. Throw in the fact they can now completly cut ties with Ma Bell and go VoIP, enjoying it's savings - vs - traditional phone service (don't need a land line to dial in to Direct TV  for ordering or Tivo anymore) and it's pushed even more to say screw you Rupert.

I think the bean counters over at Direct TV miscalculated the price increase and the resulting fallout from it.

So what Direct TV now has managed to do with it's pricing, is not only see previous year to year rock solid subscribers to the Sunday Ticket not renew, but they've incidentally increased cancellations to Direct TV altogether.

Can you say oops! :D

826263[/snapback]

:D

On top of this very true indictment of DirecTV, picture quality (HD Lite) and HD programming availability have been serious downgrades compared to other HD carriers. Now that TWC has ESPNHD, I'm pulling in 80+ NFL games a season through a basic HD package for $12/mos, yet DirecTV wants $320+ to deliver 100+? Blackouts are also a problem.

And don't even get me started on equipment costs vs. competitors. I was seriously considering DirecTV two years ago but opted for cable because I could rent an HD receiver with TWC for $5.99/mos instead of being forced to buy $800 worth of soon to be outdated DirecTV compatible equipment.

The bottom line is DirecTV overpaid for NFL exclusivity, and they are trying to pass the cost off onto their already most-profitably subscribed customers. Based on the AVS forum I linked, my guess is this significantly backfires. HD subscribers are rightfully wondering if they can afford HD through DirecTV in this sort of business model that insists they pick up the tab for everyone else.

These are not good things when one can make an open/shut case not to go with DirecTV based on picture quality alone.

Now that TWC has ESPNHD, I'm pulling in 80+ NFL games a season through a basic HD package for $12/mos

829273[/snapback]

With DirecTV's exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, how are you getting 80+ games without it? Or are you just referring to the HD aspect?

Without the hike, I've been priced out of the HD market to this point anyway due to additional equipment costs(I have an HD TV but that's it) so the new costs just mean I will have to go a bit longer without.

As for the significant price hike and what it means overall, DirecTV is simply doing what everyone other business in the world does... counting on an uneducated consumer.

With DirecTV's exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket, how are you getting 80+ games without it?  Or are you just referring to the HD aspect?

Without the hike, I've been priced out of the HD market to this point anyway due to additional equipment costs(I have an HD TV but that's it) so the new costs just mean I will have to go a bit longer without. 

As for the significant price hike and what it means overall, DirecTV is simply doing what everyone other business in the world does... counting on an uneducated consumer.

829311[/snapback]

I think he may have been referring to the fact that he can get 80+ HD games for the entire season. The problem with the comparison is D*'s Sunday Ticket has over 100 HD games on Sunday afternoon alone, not counting SNF & MNF. If you did that, you could say D* offers over 132 HD games.

I think he may have been referring to the fact that he can get 80+ HD games for the entire season.  The problem with the comparison is D*'s Sunday Ticket has over 100 HD games on Sunday afternoon alone, not counting SNF & MNF.  If you did that, you could say D* offers over 132 HD games.

829382[/snapback]

That's exactly what I was referring to. I'm not clear on why you are suggesting counting MNF for DirecTV... SUNDAY ticket does not include Monday games, and to my knowledge they still haven't landed HD locals, which would be needed (or one would need to get an OTA antenna/receiver, which is a completely different issue). As for SNF on ESPN-HD, that would require the purchase of an entire HD programming package ($11/mos) on top of Sunday Ticket, so that's why it was not included in my $320 ST comparison. If it makes you feel better, I'll say you can get 117+ for $370 but that makes DirecTV look even less of a bargain IMHO. The bottom line is there is no shortage of good Sunday NFL games on CBS/FOX (since they pick the cream of the crop weekly) and anytime football is being played I'm watching the GOTW in the highest quality HD.

If price is all you think about you are wither not a true dieheart or a greedy piece of $hit :doah:

828973[/snapback]

No not greedy I can pay the extra 99$, but I have a serious problem with being blatantly ripped off.

And I have signed the petition, as I hope many others do as well.

Edited by regent