[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos IDP Essentials

Line Backers

LOLB- DJ Williams

Now coming into only his second year in the NFL DJ will again have high expectations from Shanahan. With DJ being overshadowed by Jonathan Vilma is without a doubt a sleeper in the upcoming drafts. He is by no doubt a well-built athlete with broad shoulders, trim waist, and long, muscular arms. He has above average speed with great agility. You won't see him racking up 1 sack a game however because he gives the O-line an easy chance to grab or redirect him (only 2 total last season). Even with that point against him he recorded 81 tackles last season proving that he breaks on the ball with instinct blocks to come off and make the plays behind the line of scrimmage. While he doesn't have the great stamina that many people would like to see him have, I believe that he can only get better learning from guys like Al Wilson.

MLB(s)- Al Wilson or Keith Burns

Currently on the depth chart Keith Burns the veteran is listed above the hero here in Denver. Even with this said I think Al with be the MLB in 4-3 situations. I really wouldn't understand if they didn't have Wilson be #1. Burns only has 167 tackles in 12 years while Al Wilson has 417 tackles in 7 years. I advise everyone to while using caution draft Wilson way above Burns. Wilson while in the decline of his career makes a nice guy to fall back on but is known for making the big plays that Denver fans dream about to Raiders but only count as one tackle. The bottom line of the MLB in Denver is Al Wilson should continue to decline his career and get about 70 tackles 2 sacks and an INT.

LOLB-Ian Gold

With Ian Gold back from the Buccaneers the Broncos should be even better in the LB department. Gold should get back to his Colorado prime game which would have him with around 85 tackles and 6 sacks.

Linebacker Bottom Line- DJ Williams is a stud in disguise in everyway. He will be one of the best pickups in the mid-late rounds. Apart from DJ no real fantasy studs exist in the Broncos LB Core unless Gold starts off on fire. Wilson will continue to be a homer choice but other then that you should lay off but don't let him go undrafted because he will once again be a smart pick in redraft leagues only.

Defensive Line

LE- Trevor Pryce

The injury prone yet productive long-time Bronco will be back again this year starting on the left. His last healthy season was back 2002 where he put up 40 tackles and 9 sacks. If you have a gut feeling he is going to stay healthy he should be up there on your DE chart. Playing behind him is Courtney Brown, a good guy for the job, while I wouldn't take him at the draft and advise you to not either if Pryce goes down early and you need quick support Brown is your man.

DTs- Gerald Warren and Mario Fatafehi

The Broncos will probably be moving mostly to a 4-3 defense this year because of the skills that they have acquired at defense. Gerald Warren the main reason they are moving to a 4-3 defense just purchased from the Browns as well will be given the left side and be expected to run the middle of the line with Mario Fatafehi who was actually a Bronco last year (we finally found one). If they play with each other instead of against each other expect them to double their numbers. Which means Warren should get 12 tackles 8 sacks and Pope 30 tackles but only 5 sacks.

RE- Ebenezer Ecuban

Ebenezer one of the many Browns that will now jump into the starting D-line of the Broncos. While his numbers where nothing special while in Dallas when he was aquired by Cleveland his sack numbers jumped from 2.5 to 8 which ain't bad from a mid-late round draft pick. Ebenezer should be even better this year with the supporting role of the LB Core. He should be up to 10 sacks this year no doubt.

D-Line Bottom Line- With the Broncos most likely moving into the 4-3 defense the defensive line should get more pressure on the QB and RB improving their tackle and sack numbers. Pryce and Warren are the prime studs if they stay healthy especially.

Defensive Backs

LCBs- Champ Bailey and Jeremy LeSueur

The best in the business Champ Bailey is back again hoping to redeem himself from what many NFL fanatics called a below expected season. But why he uped his INT and taclkle numbers. Point however that the ball is caught so many times around him that he gets plenty of chances to get tackles. Jeremy Lesueur.... well I pick him in Madden but other than that you won't see much 10 tackles and a INT at most.

RCB- Lenny Walls and Willie Middlebrooks

Lenny will resume his duties on the right. He is nothing special as a fantasy outlook. Him and Middlebrooks are a lot alike in fantasy's view even if Walls gets more playing time Walls has proven that he is a shutdown corner so when people don't catch the ball near him he won't be racking up tackles. Wille Middlebrooks is more or less just an obstacle for other teams. He is still the 3rd best CB that the Broncos have and contiues to improve but his fantasy value is nothing special.

FS- John LynchThe hard-hitting FS is back for another year in Denver. Lynch is a guy who is delining and serves mostly as leader and shouldn't be looked at as a FS stud. He should be back to his 50 BAM tackles and a pick shape again this year.

SS- Chris Young

With Kenoy Kennedy's departure in comes the youngin to the starting role. There's not much I can say about this guy except that he should mirror Lynch's stats. He has proven himself already in my mind because of his GT career.

DB Bottom Line- Bailey and Lynch look to be the only stars again this year. The only chance of another star arising would be Middlebrooks on the left and give him more opportunities to pick off QBs, but otherwise the others would be just last resort pickups.

Edited by broncosn05

My take...

There is NO WAY Al Wilson plays second fiddle to anyone. He is a stud, and he will be at MLB on every down.

I think DJ Williams will play on the left, and Ian Gold will play on the right.

Donnie Spragan is in Miami... so he won't be starting anywhere in Denver (and he'll probably be benching it up in Miami too).

Wilson is the obvious stud, and should be a top 10 LB pick. The other two should also put up great numbers though. I think these guys are going to have a dominating year.

The linebackers are really all I have time to look at right now, but I'll try to help out a little more later after I've been drinking... :D

Edited by AtomicCEO

Broncos, I do have a Q for you. It's about Chris Young. Shortly after the Detroit signing of Kennedy, I saw a press conference, it might hace been Denver's player personnel guy, maybe even skeletor, who said Nick Ferguson would be starting. I've looked at two depth charts, one has Young backing up Lynch at SS, the other has him backing up Ferguson at FS. Both charts show Ferguson as the starting FS. Ferguson got more playing time than Young last year (and the numbers show that) and Ferguson used to start fotr the Jets at FS. When did Young get named the starter, or is that more your thinking right now?

Broncs, like the other guys, I think this needs some work ... if you are using the NFL.com depth charts, they need updating ...

One thing you could do which would be great is research how much Denver will use the 3-4 this year ... I have heard they may use it in some sets ...

Good effort, still some work to be done ...

Broncs, like the other guys, I think this needs some work ... if you are using the NFL.com depth charts, they need updating ...

One thing you could do which would be great is research how much Denver will use the 3-4 this year ... I have heard they may use it in some sets ...

Good effort, still some work to be done ...

825429[/snapback]

Yep anymore accurate stuff then nfl.com??

825445[/snapback]

For IDP, I tend to use the player updates at http://www.kffl.com and the depth charts at http://www.ourlads.com.

kffl player updates are free in the offseason for current stuff, then they'll charge in season. I'm definitely buying it again though. They are very thorough.

Local news is good too. Also, the articles on nfl and espn... but their player pages and depth charts are usually far out of date.

Also, good luck figuring out the inside scoop on anything Shanahan is doing... :D

Broncos, with Shanny, you have more than a mouthful. This guy hates to let anyone know what he's up to. I'd suggest listening to ALL of the audio/video press conferences at the Bronco's home site. Then, scout thier forum (they have a good one) for rumors and additional conjecture. Just don't tell anyone in the forum that you think Plummer sucks. They will start a petition to get you banned! :D

825445[/snapback]

Here is a site that Swiss put me on to, and their depth charts are pretty up to date. I have often seen them post updates within hours of a news story.

Also, good luck figuring out the inside scoop on anything Shanahan is doing... :D

825451[/snapback]

Agreed. As a ff player, I hate that lying rat faced Skeletor. Who hasnt been burned by his completely bogus pronouncements. Doesnt he understand that ff owners need accurate and reliable info in order to start the right players? I hate him and that goes for the Donkeys as long as he is the coach...

Edited by spain

Here is some interseting info on the Bronc's D backfield.....

Slowly but surely, LeSueur makes switch to safety

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

May 27, 2005

This is not Jeremy LeSueur's rookie season, but forgive him if he has experienced some of those same wide-eyed feelings the past couple of weeks.

After hernia surgery wiped out his first year in the NFL, LeSueur was told by the Denver Broncos coaching staff this off-season he would be switching from cornerback, his natural position, to safety.

Advertisement

The move was not a complete shock because, before he was drafted in the third round in 2003, some teams had him pegged as a safety.

And though LeSueur might have somewhat of a jump-start, having sat through meetings last season, in some respects he is starting over. He still is sliding to cornerback in certain nickel situations.

"It's been pretty good so far," LeSueur said this week during the Broncos' passing camp. "In the beginning, it's easier because there's less calls and you can concentrate on those calls. But they add more calls each day, so you have to remember those with the other calls and you might forget a check or two. But the people on my field are always helping me."

At 6-foot, 197 pounds, LeSueur fits the safety mold at least in terms of size. But he has an advantage in that he matched up consistently with receivers during his time at the University of Michigan and has the speed to do both.

LeSueur said he still experiences some "normal" soreness from surgery in September. He began on- field work late last season before making full cuts during the off-season program.

"It's holding up real well," LeSueur said.

The Broncos are playing LeSueur at strong safety instead of the "free" position, which actually has evolved into the spot closer to the line of scrimmage in run support within Denver's defensive scheme.

"I do know from what I saw of Jeremy last year, I like the way the guy plays the game. He seems to have a knack for getting himself around the football," Broncos safety John Lynch said, adding he counseled LeSueur last season to remain involved in the film room. "He spent a lot of time with the mental part of the game, which is important when making a switch to safety because a lot of what safety is is getting people lined up.

"I think he's doing a pretty good job."

BAD CALL, FALL: Turns out the torn anterior cruciate ligament Broncos guard P.J. Alexander suffered in his left knee during passing camp stemmed from an off-field incident - one familiar to Cleveland Browns fans.

Last weekend, while riding a four- wheel motorcycle, Alexander feared tipping over, so he put his left foot down to avoid getting pinned and sustained the season-ending injury, coach Mike Shanahan said.

Only three days before, with Kellen Winslow Jr.'s much-publicized off-the-field wreck fresh in the news, Shanahan had addressed the topic with his players.

"We did talk about the Winslow situation, starting with myself, because I do ride motorcycles, but it doesn't matter if I get hurt, I can still coach," Shanahan said. "These guys with some ability, it's a little different. And it's always tough when guys do something that has a chance to cost them their career. You always remind them and they've got to make their decision."

Alexander is signed through this season for $385,000. He had been expected to challenge Cooper Carlisle for the starting job at right guard.

LONG AND SHORT OF IT: Ashley Lelie made his mark last season by averaging 20.1 yards on 54 catches, tops in the league among receivers with at least 17 receptions. He compiled 21 plays of 20-plus yards.

All those statistics showcase his speed.

But this off-season, a primary goal for Lelie has been to refine his skills as an intermediate route runner, especially considering he seldom has been a factor inside the 20 and teams were catching on to his ability to go long.

"Playing against a lot of defenses toward the end of the year, they kind of knew that's what I did and they'd back up way off me and take me out of the game, just by playing that type of defense," he said. "They knew I wasn't going to get any slants or 'unders' like that."

MIDDLE MAN: The Broncos initially are lining up sixth-round pick Chris Myers at center, along with holdover Josh Sewell.

Myers finished last season playing right tackle at the University of Miami. But he said he prefers the pivot.

Myers also has been practicing the past two weeks at long snapper, a position he has not manned since high school when he "snapped with one hand, just throwing it back there."