[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is there anyone out there better than Tom Brady?

Gators

I don't think Edge is padding Manning's numbers.  I just don't think he is an afterthought in the Colts passing game.

838181[/snapback]

Then you haven't seen many Colts' games. In Edge's first two and a half years in Indy, the Colts ran a lot of passing plays specifically for him. Including several passes a game down field. They just don't do that anymore. With three legitimate WR and 2 TE, Edge is primarily the check down receiver. They will run screens for Edge a couple times a game, but he is no longer a primary receiver like he once was. Back in the day, Manning would pass to Marvin or Edge, and that was about it. I haven't seen the Colts try and pass to Edge 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage in 3 years. Like I said, he is an afterthought. He still gets the ball, but not in the same way he used to.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Edge is padding Manning's numbers.  I just don't think he is an afterthought in the Colts passing game.

In any good offense and with a good QB I dont think any eligible receiver should be an afterthought in the passing game. From what I have seen Edge doesnt seem to be a point of focus for the pasisng game either. If he were he would have gotten a lot of TD passes in the flat from within the 10 yard line last season. I think Manning goes through his progressions well and more often than not finds a open WR before checking down to Edge.

Then you haven't seen many Colts' games.  In Edge's first two and a half years in Indy, the Colts ran a lot of passing plays specifically for him.  Including several passes a game down field.  They just don't do that anymore.  With three legitimate WR and 2 TE, Edge is primarily the check down receiver.  They will run screens for Edge a couple times a game, but he is no longer a primary receiver like he once was.  Back in the day, Manning would pass to Marvin or Edge, and that was about it.  I haven't seen the Colts try and pass to Edge 10+ yards past the line of scrimmage in 3 years.  Like I said, he is an afterthought.  He still gets the ball, but not in the same way he used to.

838192[/snapback]

I don't agree with that analysis that if you aren't the primary option in a passing play that you are an afterthought. Especially in the Colts offense. Who really knows what Manning is doing out there and who is the primary target. How many times was Stokley the primary target? Are you gonna say that the Colts 3rd WR was the primary target for his 10 TD's? Not likely.

I don't know if you saw this but I said Edge avg'd 9.5 yards per reception. As a RB that was pretty d@mn good. I think only a few other RB's avg'd better; Warrick Dunn avg'd 10.1, Brian Westbrook avg'd 9.6, Onterrio Smith avg'd 10.9 and Tiki Barber avg'd 11.1. I don't see any other RB's with higher avg per rec's than that. I also don't get what you are saying that they don't pass to Edge over 10+ yards? Yes when he was a rookie and his second year they ran those out and up plays for him. But as you have stated yourself they didn't have anyone else to throw to then. They have 3 WR's over a 1,000 yards why would they send Edge on a deep out play? To clear out the underneath area for Wayne and Harrison? :D

51 rec's is 51 rec's, that's top 5 production in the league what does it take for it to not be an afterthought..............

Edited by phenom

Brady and Vick are uniquely idenical IMO. Brady is a rare player who does what his duty, he makes occasionally some nice passes and avoids stupid passes. On the other hand Vick is down graded because of his substandard passing ability, however as much as haters mock him he retains to be the X-Factor he is the guy add a sweet RB and a WR and I see Superbowl but they continue to just get average wideouts who always fall short of getting open.

They are alike because they both aren't the best fantasy Qbs out there but to their teams they are MVPs

Edited by broncosn05

When you are the final check down, and you are not getting a lot of passing plays specifically called for you like you once did, in my book that's an "afterthought". I never said he stinks and can't catch. My point was that he was not longer a primary focus of the passing game You can sit and watch Manning go through his progressions, and then finally, he's like, "Well, everybody'd covered, I'll just see in Edge can do something." Yes, he caught 51 balls last year. But check the two years before. In 2003 he caught the same 51 balls, but for only 292 yards. In 2002 it was 61 catches for 354 yards. Thats less than 5.8 yard per reception. This year, wiith 51 catches, he was the Colts FOURTH leading receiver. Edge would have been the first, second, or third leading receiver on all but 2 other teams (Giants and Chiefs). But with the Colts, his 51 makes him the fourth! Yeah, in my opinion, he's become somewhat of an afterthought IN THE COLTS' PASSING GAME.

Edited by CaptainHook

If all your other passing options are covered and you check down to the open man, that makes that open man pretty d@mn important and not an afterthought. ESPECIALLY in the Colts offense where Peyton can't scramble to save his life and he really needs to hit that open man to move the chains.

So where you think that a checkdown is an afterthought, I think that a QB who checks down to the open man and gains crucial yardage as a critical component of the gameplan..........

I think Edge has the ability and talent where he could catch 75-85 balls a year in a different offense. One that is geared for the RB to be a big factor in the passing game. He could probably be a 1000/1000 guy too. I never said they weren't good plays, or that it wasn't a part of the gameplan. I am saying that he doesn't get the attention in the passing game that he COULD get. I like how you decided to ignore his stats in the passing game in '02 and '03. Manning would just flip him the ball at the last second and Edge would get 2-3 yards.

I'm done arguing this completely irrelevant point.

Edited by CaptainHook

If all your other passing options are covered and you check down to the open man, that makes that open man pretty d@mn important and not an afterthought.  ESPECIALLY in the Colts offense where Peyton can't scramble to save his life and he really needs to hit that open man to move the chains.

So where you think that a checkdown is an afterthought, I think that a QB who checks down to the open man and gains crucial yardage as a critical component of the gameplan..........

838238[/snapback]

I think Edge has the ability and talent where he could catch 75-85 balls a year in a different offense. One that is geared for the RB to be a big factor in the passing game.  He could probably be a 1000/1000 guy too.  I never said they weren't good plays, or that it wasn't a part of the gameplan.  I am saying that he doesn't get the attention in the passing game that he COULD get.  I like how you decided to ignore his stats in the passing game in '02 and '03.  Manning would just flip him the ball at the last second and Edge would get 2-3 yards.

838249[/snapback]

I am never starting an argument with you :D

I think Edge has the ability and talent where he could catch 75-85 balls a year in a different offense. One that is geared for the RB to be a big factor in the passing game.  He could probably be a 1000/1000 guy too.  I never said they weren't good plays, or that it wasn't a part of the gameplan.  I am saying that he doesn't get the attention in the passing game that he COULD get.  I like how you decided to ignore his stats in the passing game in '02 and '03.  Manning would just flip him the ball at the last second and Edge would get 2-3 yards.

838249[/snapback]

He never caught more than 63 balls in any year what makes you think he would catch 85 I don't know. You said his catches are an afterthought. I don't think any play that gains yardage is an afterthought. Maybe you had a poor choice of words or probably an exaggeration on your part. I can't think of one offense that gears it's passing game around it's RB. The last one that was the primary target downfield was Faulk.

Why you want to bring up 2002 or 2003 his years when he was recovering from the ACL injury has no relevance to now. Is what Peyton Manning did 2 years ago relevant to what he did last year? No. Edge avg'd the most yards per reception of his career last year. He's getting back to his old form.

You should be done arguing this point. You already backtracked enough..........

He's getting back to his old form.

838269[/snapback]

Unfortunately, although he does seem to be completely recovered from his ACL injury, he is no longer the main focus of the Colts passing game. He is an afterthought. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I am never starting an argument with you  :D

838253[/snapback]

I think I have to agree with this... :D

Guest THEbigred
This guy will go down as the greatest player of all time....

828187[/snapback]

If you're bored/lame enough to go trolling, at least use fresh bait.

You should be done arguing this point.  You already backtracked enough..........

838269[/snapback]

More baiting from peon. Some things never change... :D

Hook is correct that Edge is now nothing more than a check-down back in the Colts passing game. That doesn't make him unimportant, but his receiving numbers are certainly inflated in comparison to other backs because of the passing prowess of his offense.

When Edge DOES become an important part of the Colts passing game, that usually means that they're not running the ball effectively (as in the last playoff game at NE).

Unfortunately, although he does seem to be completely recovered from his ACL injury, he is no longer the main focus of the Colts passing game.  He is an afterthought. . .

838355[/snapback]

Looking at the number of posts in this topic, looks like there's some serious arguing going on about Edge in the passing game. Not trying to pick a side or anything, but for my two cents it has to do with the emergence of Reggie Wayne, Stokley and the TE's (Pollard and Dallas Clark). This is why Edge's receiving numbers have been on the decline. I would like to see more plays designed for Edge in the passing game personally. So I guess I would agree that Edge doesn't get his number called as often as he should (and definitely could) for passing plays.

More baiting from peon.  Some things never change...  :D

Hook is correct that Edge is now nothing more than a check-down back in the Colts passing game.  That doesn't make him unimportant, but his receiving numbers are certainly inflated in comparison to other backs because of the passing prowess of his offense.

838534[/snapback]

You always seem to care so much about what I have to say.

In fact you actually confirmed what I'm saying. I never said that Edge was anything more than a checkdown back. That pretty much is what he is in the passing game. But I am saying that as the checkdown back he has been pretty important because they "checkdowned" to him 51 times.

If your QB looks downfield and everyone is covered I guess it's just an afterthought when he checks down and dumps it off to Edge. Manning is just sitting back there like, "Hmmmmmm I could run for 10 yards or I could go to my afterthought and get 9.5 yards. What to do, what to do. Oh well I think I'll take off running because my 3 primary targets are covered and I can't remember what my afterthought option is."..............

You always seem to care so much about what I have to say.

838719[/snapback]

As you do. And that's how you end up losing sig line bets. :D

In fact you actually confirmed what I'm saying.  I never said that Edge was anything more than a checkdown back.  That pretty much is what he is in the passing game.  But I am saying that as the checkdown back he has been pretty important because they "checkdowned"  to him 51 times.

And I never said that Edge was unimportant in that offense. What's your point?

How quickly you guys forget, if it wasn't for Bledsoe's performance against the Steelers in the AFC championship game during that first magical playoff run the Patriots wouldn't have advanced. There was even talk of Bledsoe taking er for Brady for the Superbowl that year. Brady is one of the better QBs in the league, but he is overrated.

828850[/snapback]

i dont know if anyone else said anything to this guy in the rest of this thread because i didnt feel like going through the whole thing..but

are you serious?

bledsoe was like 9-21 and threw a ball, blindly, backwards over of his head while he was being sacked..it was completely assinine..and could have been easily picked and returned

the only talk of bledsoe taking over for brady in superbowl 36 was because no one was sure how serious bradys injury was

i dont know if anyone else said anything to this guy in the rest of this thread because i didnt feel like going through the whole thing..but

are you serious?

bledsoe was like 9-21 and threw a ball, blindly, backwards over of his head while he was being sacked..it was completely assinine..and could have been easily picked and returned

the only talk of bledsoe taking over for brady in superbowl 36 was because no one was sure how serious bradys injury was

840123[/snapback]

Bledsoe was 10-21 for 102 yards and a TD. He came in for Brady and completed 3 straight passes including an 11 yard TD pass to David Patten with 58 seconds left in the first half, giving the Pats a 14-3 lead. New England had scored earlier on a 55 yard punt return by Troy Brown. New England scored later on a blocked field goal return for a TD to push the lead to 21-3.

After Pittsburgh trimmed the deficit to 21-17 late in the third quarter, Bledsoe responded by engineering an 11-play, 45 yard drive capped by Adam Vinatieri's 44-yard field goal with 11:12 remaining. Interceptions by Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy, the latter with 2:02 remaining, stopped the Steelers, and Antowain Smith's 19-yard run with 1:56 left allowed the Pats to run out the clock.

I remember the rumors about Bledsoe playing even if Brady was healthy. I also remember Belichick squashing those rumors fairly quickly soon thereafter. I don't think you're giving Bledsoe enough credit FIDTML. He was directly responsible for 10 of the Patriots 24 points. They only won by 7. How quickly even the faithful forget. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

As you do.  And that's how you end up losing sig line bets.   :D

And I never said that Edge was unimportant in that offense.  What's your point?

839929[/snapback]

My point is he isn't an afterthought in the passing game.

I think some people don't realize what afterthought means..........

And what does "As you do" mean?............

Edited by phenom

My point is he isn't an afterthought in the passing game.

I think some people don't realize what afterthought means..........

840741[/snapback]

afterthought

(1) an idea occurring later

(2) a part, feature, or device not thought of originally

I don't see how "afterthought" is a horribly inappropriate way to describe the fourth or fifth receiving option in an offense. Peyton checks down to Edge AFTER discovering that none of his intended WRs or TEs are open.

afterthought

(1) an idea occurring later

(2) a part, feature, or device not thought of originally

I don't see how "afterthought" is a horribly inappropriate way to describe the fourth or fifth receiving option in an offense.  Peyton checks down to Edge AFTER discovering that none of his intended WRs or TEs are open.

840890[/snapback]

Solid.

Edge did/has become an "afterthought" in the Colts passing game. He was used as a check down, albeit a very effective one. This does NOT mean he wasn't important in the offense or even the passing game. With the emergence of Wayne, the surprising effectiveness of Stokely, a healthy D. Clark and Harrison still drawing so much attention....Edge had a very nice year running the ball, and when screens were called for him, he made the most of his opportunities. One thing not mentioned much is the importance of the play-action in '04. It was almost like every other passing play there was a play-action fake. With Edge running the ball well, teams had to respect the play-action and IMO this in many cases left Stokely wide open in the middle of the field. It will be interesting to see how teams react this year, because I see the Colts using play-action in 2005 just as much. If teams drop back instead of biting...look for a hugh year running the ball from Edge. Pick your poison. Edge's role in the passing game diminished equally as Harrison's did because of Wayne's emergence. No big deal, just alot more viable options. Like the cover of the Huddle Handbook reads "Best fantasy team ever?"

Edited by Hitman

Bledsoe was 10-21 for 102 yards and a TD.  He came in for Brady and completed 3 straight passes including an 11 yard TD pass to David Patten with 58 seconds left in the first half, giving the Pats a 14-3 lead.  New England had scored earlier on a 55 yard punt return by Troy Brown.  New England scored later on a blocked field goal return for a TD to push the lead to 21-3.

After Pittsburgh trimmed the deficit to 21-17 late in the third quarter, Bledsoe responded by engineering an 11-play, 45 yard drive capped by Adam Vinatieri's 44-yard field goal with 11:12 remaining.  Interceptions by Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy, the latter with 2:02 remaining, stopped the Steelers, and Antowain Smith's 19-yard run with 1:56 left allowed the Pats to run out the clock.

I remember the rumors about Bledsoe playing even if Brady was healthy.  I also remember Belichick squashing those rumors fairly quickly soon thereafter.  I don't think you're giving Bledsoe enough credit FIDTML.  He was directly responsible for 10 of the Patriots 24 points.  They only won by 7.  How quickly even the faithful forget. . .

840716[/snapback]

oh wait..so NOW were giving quarterbacks credit for engineering drives that result in a 44 yard field goal attempt??

nah believe me..ill always have love for drew...i guess, yeah, he was relatively impressive after a 14 week layoff...he made a few nice throws after brady moved em to the steelers 40 and left the game...overall, i wasnt impressed...like i said go back and watch him throwing a ball backwards, blindly, over his head as hes being brought down in the 2nd half...ball easily could have been picked and returned..he reverted to his old ways

oh wait..so NOW were giving quarterbacks credit for engineering drives that result in a 44 yard field goal attempt??

nah believe me..ill always have love for drew...i guess, yeah, he was relatively impressive after a 14 week layoff...he made a few nice throws after brady moved em to the steelers 40 and left the game...overall, i wasnt impressed...like i said go back and watch him throwing a ball backwards, blindly, over his head as hes being brought down in the 2nd half...ball easily could have been picked and returned..he reverted to his old ways

841556[/snapback]

:D Trust me, I'm not saying Bledsoe was great. I was just surprised to see you so ready to kick him to the curb and not give him his due. Without him, the Pats don't win the SB in '01.