[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper League

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie to this site and figured that you could help me out. I participate in a family fantasy football league. Last year was our first year. For this year though, I'm trying to convince everyone to start a keeper league. I'm just wondering what is the best way to describe one of these types of leagues. I'm having trouble doin so. I've participated in them before but i having troulbe describing it. Could you please help me out. Thanks

A pretty broad topic, since the format of "keeper" leagues can vary by quite a bit, but I'll take a shot at some simple examples.

1. Redraft is a league where no players on each FF team in the league are retained from season to season, each FF owner having the opportunity to start with a totally clean slate / blank roster on draft day every year.

2. Dynasty is (typically) a league where all or most players on each FF team in the league are retained from season to season, each FF owner having to balance his / her roster management style to play both for the current season and to build for future seasons.

3. Keeper league falls somewhere in between - as noted above, rules / formats differ, but a typical Keeper example might be a situation where each FF team has the option each year of retaining 1-3 players from the prior season ... sometimes there are roster restrictions (ie each team can only "keep" 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR ... not 3 RB) and / or "length of contract" restrictions (ie you can only retain the same player for 2 consecutive seaons, after that he returns to the draft pool, whether the FF team owner wants to keep that player for a 3rd season or not).

Generally speaking, there is a penalty associated with "keeping" players, ie if a FF team chooses to retain 3 keepers in a given season, that team surrenders it's 1st 3 draft choices - if the team keeps 2 players, they surrender their 1st 2 draft choices, etc. Sometimes, league rules stipulate that only players drafted after round "x" are eligible to be keepers - the variations on the Keeper League theme are almost endless.

Try a Google search, I'm sure you will find Fantasy league hosting sites that offer decent summary descriptions of what their "Keeper" offerings / rules format(s) might be. In addition, there is an article in the Huddle archives that talks a bit about Keeper league strategies, which might be of some help:

link

Good luck.

Edited by ts

Jsut let them know that a keeper league separates the men from the boys! Anybody can pick a team good or bad but only the seasoned FF player can pick a team that will yeild good keepers!

Your knowledge has to be up and you really have to go with your gut on weather or not the player you keep will be a stud or not worth a s@#T..

I'm turnig my league into a keeper league this year or by next year for sure I'm in the process of selecting good owners and kicking the bad ones out!