[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I get the first three backup picks

Klinger

This is sort of a follow up to a previous post.

BACKGROUND: I am in a twelve team league where we keep up to three players each year. You start a QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, a TE, and a K for offense. The league's scoring values RB heavily. In my league, you have to fill every position including IDP before you can draft backups. I am planning on keeping Peyton, Rudi, and Julius Jones. I hope to get some decent WRs soon after or maybe a TE and then draft my IDP and kicker. Through some end of the year trades, I received the first three picks and the 7th once all the roster slots have been filled. This is a great area for high potential picks.

QUESTION: Who should I take with picks 1,2,3, and 7 in the backup rounds?

MY THOUGHTS: I definitely want at least 2 or 3 RBs. I figure that even if they won't start for my team, they will be more valuable to trade than a WR. I don't want a backup QB. I could use a rookie WR.

MY CURRENT SHORTLIST:

JJ Arrington (potential feature back with less RBBC potential, emerging offense)

Cadillac Williams (better RB but more RBBC potential)

Cedric Benson (an RB on weak Chicago offense?)

Ronnie Brown (how does Ricky affect his long term potential?)

Lamont Jordan (could he have long term potential?)

Steven Jackson (great o-line, would he even be available?)

Larry Johnson (can Priest last another year making him low value?)

DeShaun Foster (can he stay healthy?)

Braylon Edwards

Troy Williamson

Mike Williams

I figure I can't go wrong with some of those picks but I don't know the order I would want them in and I don't know who I am missing.

Any thoughts?

I would pick up the Escalade/Cadillac Williams, Benson and then Jordan although I really like JJ Arrington!! Look @ what Dallas got in Julius Last year and I think JJ will fall just like that!

Of those listed, I have Stephen Jackson clearly on top. Sure, Marshall is still there, but look at what he did toward the end of last year. Marshall is done, he'll see a far reduced role, and this could be his last year - since this is a keeper league, you are now loaded for the future and are in a great position for trades/depth in case of injury. SJ has also played a year so, unlike the rooks, has already shown he can get it done at the NFL level. This is a nice looking rookie class for sure, but not a single one has shown how they will adjust. Faster DLinemen chasing them down, 260+ pound LB, CB's that can HIT, safeties like Roy Williams out for blood, these guys are gonna see things they never even had nighmares about in college. Not saying they won't be successful, but SJ doesnt' have this ? over him.

In order:

SJackson

Cadillac (pure talent, perfect system for style)

Larry Johnson (pretty much same reasons as SJ, although Priest could be much more durable this year than Marshall)

Jordan (only ranked lower due to new team learning curve)

Benson (is he too much of a plodder like ATrain?)

Brown (horrible supporting cast hurts his stock this year)

I have a little bit different spin on this. Since you have to fill your roster with starters before you can draft backups, then you are forced to either draft WR's, or start looking at IDP players before you can get backup RB's. Is that right, or am I reading this wrong?

I have a little bit different spin on this.  Since you have to fill your roster with starters before you can draft backups, then you are forced to either draft WR's, or start looking at IDP players before you can get backup RB's.  Is that right, or am I reading this wrong?

835884[/snapback]

Exactly. Yes, I have to fill up every available starting position including WR, TE, K, and IDP before I can draft a single backup player. Generally speaking, the first backup round is loaded with all the high potential RBs who people didn't want to start as a number 2 back.

For example, some players taken as a backup last year were McGahee, Roy Williams (WR), Kevin Jones, and a few others. I am hoping to cash in on a couple of players of similar caliber.

This is just my hunch calling it ....

I would take 2RB's and 2 WR's (unless you have real solid WR starters)

RB's (in order)

Jordan

Arrington

Johnson

Benson

WR's

Troy Williamson

Braylon Edwards ... although I don't like pickin brownies the boys got skills and more brains than last years first round counterpart

I think the depth at WR would do you good since you start 3. However, I am not sure they would both be had at 3 and 7.

Exactly.  Yes, I have to fill up every available starting position including WR, TE, K, and IDP before I can draft a single backup player.  Generally speaking, the first backup round is loaded with all the high potential RBs who people didn't want to start as a number 2 back.

For example, some players taken as a backup last year were McGahee, Roy Williams (WR), Kevin Jones, and a few others.  I am hoping to cash in on a couple of players of similar caliber.

835887[/snapback]

Okay, then you can't take a single RB until you fill the rest of your roster. Therefore, I would focus on WR and a stud IDP like Ed Reed in your draft. A stud TE would be nice also. If you could list some of the available WR, TE's, IDP's then we can rank some of those for you. Basically, you should have almost your entire team complete before any other team begins looking at drafting backups.

Okay, then you can't take a single RB until you fill the rest of your roster.  Therefore, I would focus on WR and a stud IDP like Ed Reed in your draft.  A stud TE would be nice also.  If you could list some of the available WR, TE's, IDP's then we can rank some of those for you.  Basically, you should have almost your entire team complete before any other team begins looking at drafting backups.

836382[/snapback]

Maybe I am not being clear. Assume I draft my whole team and all the starters. Now I need to pick backups and I want to know who the first backups I pick should be. You know who my QB and RBs are. My WR, TE, and IDP should be at least average or better. I figure I will take mostly RBs since they have the highest potential. Then I can trade or keep them for better WR and TE later.

Maybe I am not being clear.  Assume I draft my whole team and all the starters.  Now I need to pick backups and I want to know who the first backups I pick should be.  You know who my QB and RBs are.  My WR, TE, and IDP should be at least average or better.  I figure I will take mostly RBs since they have the highest potential.  Then I can trade or keep them for better WR and TE later.

836515[/snapback]

Gotcha. Yep, that's what your original post says.

Okay so if your looking for backups then you want a couple that are pretty safe picks and maybe one that could have huge upside, but may be a little bit of a reach. The safe picks IMO are S. Jackson and Jordan. They are the clear cut #1's. The next RB I would take is Brown. They have made some good moves on the O-line and will be quite improved this year. Arrington is the other that could be good. With the two rookies, watch a little preseason just to get a feel for how they look. I know it's preseason and your never sure what players are in, but sometimes you can see that someone continues to play extensively with the first team and looks good.

To me, every rookie RB this year has some question marks. It all should play out by the end of preseason as to who is going to be the 1, so be patient. Good luck.

I was looking at the league and it was even better than I remembered. I get the 1st 4 backups and the 8th pick. This could be good. Currently I am targeting

Steven Jackson (a prayer if he even makes it)

Lamont Jordan

Ronnie Brown

Cadillac Williams

Hopefully I can a rookie WR with my 8th pick