[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My Father's Eulogy

Menudo

I'm sorry, I don't mean to put everyone in a somber mood, but I really enjoy this community and was wondering if anyone with experience writing Eulogies can offer any advice. I really hope that I can make it through reading this without choking up. I would also like to thank Seminoles, who is wise beyond his years, for the poem at the end of the Eulogy.

We are here today to honor a great man, my father Terry Lee Attivo. My Dad was many things…… he was a tremendous teacher; I’ve have had various former students of his tell me that he made a positive impact on their lives. Dad was an avid collector of Baseball cards, he spent hours and hours organizing and perfecting his collection, he was a dedicated Pittsburgh Pirate and Steeler fan, teaching me at a young age that no other teams could compare to those wearing the Black and Gold.

But most importantly, and what my Dad will be most remembered as, is that he was a wonderful and devoted Husband to my Mother, Patty. He was a loving and caring Father to myself and my sister, Kelly. He was a tremendous Grandfather to his Grand-daughter Brittany. A wonderful Son to his mother Hilda and his late Father Albert, and a terrific brother to his sister, MaryAnne. He was also a dedicated, and loyal friend to many. My Father knew that family is the most important thing in one’s life and he went to heaven knowing how much we all loved him, and with us in turn knowing how much he loved us.

I think the one thing that everyone who knew Dad remembers was his wit. The man could always put a smile on your face. He delivered many a one-liner in his time. His sense of humor stood the test of time. Just last week, when Dad had an incident with his sugar going low, and the Parmedics were insisting that he be taken to the hospital. Dad tried to fight going, and finally he agreed to go to be taken in for observation. Someone then asked what day it was, and I mistakingly said that it was Monday, but it was actually Sunday. My Dad, never one to miss an opportunity, got the Paremedics attention and told them that he would like to have his son admitted to the hospital for observation as well, because he didn’t even know what day it was.

That was my Dad, making us laugh and keeping us happy until his final breath.

I know this is a hard day for all of us, but what makes me happy is knowing that my Father is in heaven, with his Father, his Grandmother and Grandfather, and other loved ones that left before him. He is standing on two good legs, he does not have any sickness or pain, and he is at peace. Dad, I love you with all of my heart, and you will always be my very best friend. I would now like to end things with a poem. Father’s Day is on Sunday, and I thought this poem was appropriate. Thank you everyone for coming today in rememberance of my Father, I know you all meant a lot to him.

Happy Father's Day

by Tami Blackwell

Give 'em a hug, a great big kiss.

Because one day, he will be greatly missed.

My daddy has gone far away from this land,

I miss the precious touch of his loving hands.

I never knew last year was the last day,

I could look at my daddy, hug him, and say:

"I love you, Daddy! Happy Father's Day!"

Don't let one day go by without telling him

how dear he is!

Remember you may not have another year to tell him this!

All I have now is great memories, a heart

full of love and eyes full of tears, and

to remember his love throughout the years.

Now I will have to look up at the stars and

say, "I love you, Daddy! Happy Father's Day!"

Please remember when you pray, to thank your

heavenly father up above.

For your father he gave you with so much love.

"He lived, for Jesus died;

He died, for Jesus Lives."

Very good eulogy. Once again I am very sorry for your loss. Don't be afraid to show how you really feel when the time comes and hang in there buddy.

I'm going to put some flowers out for my mom and dad in about an hour.

Menudo,

My heart felt condolences. I think your eulogy is very strong and I wish you the best of luck having to deliver these heartfelt words.

I hope you take this advice for what it is: i think the eulogy is perfectly framed, but remember that people are coming to honour your father, and will gladly sit to hear everything you have to say. Take your time in talking about his teaching and the particular students or stories about his teaching. tell some stories about his baseball collecting, or particular games that marked him and you. I'm sure there were some funny and touching moments regarding your shared love of sports. or about his relationship with his granddaughter and kids. take all of it to the level of that great story of your father's sense of humour still being so present with that mixed up day of the week story. It was great, and made me feel like I had an insight into this man.

About 6 months ago my uncle who was a reverend passed away. The man was a kind, intellectual, soft spoken man. When his children delivered the eulogy, the speeches were filled with anecdotes of their growing up with such a devout yet incredibly, passionately, understatedly funny man. One of the children being a high school wrestler was very surprised when before one of his big matches he expected the reverend to share some words about the importance of God, the importance of fair play, the knowledge that this was only a game, only to have his father tell him "make sure you kick his ass"

Hope I can do as well myself when the time comes.  Leave it alone and take care of your family and yourself.  My deepest sympathies.

839726[/snapback]

Menudo, much love and prayer from GA. I'm personally honored that you've brought this here.

There's great advice here in Clubby's post. Leave it alone, you have more to do right now.

If I may offer some advice (since you asked): if you're worried about getting through it, go off by yourself, sit down, and have a chat with Dad. Get anything you might have had off your chest (an apology, something you'd wished you said) and do your crying there. He's in better hands now.

that brought a tear to me eye. and like another has said, talk to him alone somewhere. talk to your father and tell him that you love him, talk to him and tell him how grateful you are for everything he has done. i know that he will be there, putting his hand on your shoulder.

I was in your shoes about 3 years ago when my father passed away. As the 7th of 8 kids, I don't know how the responsibility fell to me. Looking back, I can tell you this:

The anecdotes will probably come out easier than the more sentimental lines. With that said, I agree with Dr Sac. If you can add some more stories, not only will it give people more positive memories of your dad, it will be easier for you to speak.

For me the hardest part was the last couple lines, because that meant it was the end.

Good luck, hang in there, and take your time. It's a tough task but no matter how much you break down, you'll never regret standing up there for your dad.

As long as you are speaking from the heart you will be fine ... and looking at the eulogy you posted it feels like it is coming from the heart.

I think the words are relatively unimportant as a eulogy is (IMO) more an expression of love and sadness ... and a final good bye.

Sorry to hear of your loss and don't be afraid to cry.

My condolences, I lost my dad last year. My eulogy was about a third of yours, I didn't make it through the first two sentences before breaking down. No shame if you do, but it is long way to go if you tear up early on. Good luck to you.

I am not sure if this is too late, but a few things. I have witnessed hunderds of eulogies. The most important thing I have found is do it early in the service. Just like was said above, towards the end of your reading you will get emotional, at the service you will be more emotional. If you do it right away it will be easier. If you have someone to go with you up front to do it as emotional support I have found that this helps. If you break down take a deep breath and start again. This is your father and the people know that, they respect you just for getting up there when many people wouldn't even try. Lastly, break it up with some funny anecdote. It will help you and your family get through this very difficult time. It is important to know that it is alright to laugh. I try to get every family I deal with to at least chuckle, this lets them know it is alright to laugh. Telling a funny story about your dad will let the people there know it is alright to come up to you and your family and share a similiar story with you which is very important.

Otherwise the content that you have is great and honors a man that lived a full life influencing others. I hope this wasn't too late, and that things go good. My sympathy to you and your family.

Sorry for your loss Menudo. It's always hard on us when we lose somebody close to us. Writing a eulogy is what everyone should do in this situation. It allows us to remember the person the way we want to. Well done, Menudo.

Last year was the final time for me to say happy father's day as well. Great advice in there for others to follow.

Edited by MikesVikes

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice and kind words. I am proud to say that I made it thorugh the Eulogy with flying colors. I never expected to be so at peace with the situation. Something has come over me and let me know that my Dad is in a better place. I was even able to adlib a few things into my Eulogy, which got some laughs. Thanks again to everyone here at the Huddle, take care and God Bless.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice and kind words.  I am proud to say that I made it thorugh the Eulogy with flying colors.  I never expected to be so at peace with the situation.  Something has come over me and let me know that my Dad is in a better place.  I was even able to adlib a few things into my Eulogy, which got some laughs.  Thanks again to everyone here at the Huddle, take care and God Bless.

842662[/snapback]

:D it is nice to hear that.

My condolences, sorry i didn't seeit earlier, it got me choked up just thinking while reading it.