[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hakim already booted

1stimer

Chiefs | Hakim No Longer With Team

Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:47:57 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have confirmed to KFFL that recently added WR Az-Zahir Hakim is no longer on the team's roster. Head coach Dick Vermeil is expected to address the situation Friday, June 17.

:D

Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil, quoted in the Kansas City Star, on the fact that new WR Az-Zahir Hakim won’t be handed a starting job: “A position isn’t going to be handed to him in a Christmas package. He’s going to have to compete, and he knows that. I didn’t really actively recruit hard to get this guy. I wanted him to come on his own. There’s more receivers on our field today that can compete for one of those positions than we’ve ever had since I’ve been here. So it will be fun to watch.”

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=388391

BREAKING NEWS: Hakim Headed to Saints

Hakim backed out of his deal with the Chiefs. By Nick Athan Publisher

Date: Jun 17, 2005

Warpaint Illustrated has learned that wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim has decided to sign a contract with the New Orleans Saints. The deal could be announced as soon as today.

Late this morning Warpaint Illustrated was tipped off that the deal went south. According to our source, Hakim briskly left town and indicated that he would not be coming to Kansas City after contract talks failed to yield a long term deal that he had hoped to get from the Chiefs.

Apparently Hakim and his agent hit a snag in those understood contract talks. Both Hakim and his agent left town after the talks broke off with the Chiefs. His agent Bruce Tolner quickly called the Saints and they remained interested in acquiring the former Detroit Lions receiver.

This was an unusual change of heart for Hakim who professed his love for the Chiefs organization and Head Coach Dick Vermeil. He clearly wanted to play for them two days ago.

But in the NFL money talks and the two sides could not reach an agreement on the terms of the contract.

Though Hakim was not expected to be a starter; the team is looking for a veteran receiver to compete for the #3 position.

According to our source at Arrowhead, the decision for Hakim to sign with the Saints was the direct result of a conversation between Hakim and Vermeil. Both felt that the Saints would give him a better long term situation then playing just one-year in Kansas City with no guarantees of a long term contract. After that conversation, the Chiefs and Hakim agreed to part ways mutually.

With this development, Kansas City might turn its attention back to former Eagles wide receiver Freddie Mitchell or the Seahwaks Koren Robinson.

Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated for more news from training camp on this developing story.

Agreed. Almost sounds like a rule violation thingie.

845473[/snapback]

Sounds more like an "I got a better deal elsewhere" type of thing. In NO, he can threaten to hold out for a new deal yearly. What's not to love?:D

The unofficial story is that Peterson was NOT pleased that Hakim was coming to town. The deal was apparently announced when Peterson was out of town and he had not authorized the deal.

Sounds more like an "I got a better deal elsewhere" type of thing. In NO, he can threaten to hold out for a new deal yearly. What's not to love?:D

845569[/snapback]

Yep. In the world of the NFL, if you can sign for big bucks somewhere towards the end of your career, why not! :D

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Free agent wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim will not sign with the Kansas City Chiefs, coach Dick Vermeil said Friday.

The Chiefs said earlier this week that they had reached agreement on a one-year contract with Hakim, who played for Vermeil when the St. Louis Rams won the Super Bowl six years ago.

Hakim and his agent felt the wide receiver would fit in better somewhere else, Vermeil said.

"I was little disappointed, but I understand," Vermeil said. "That's just the nature of this game. You can't have everything you want."

The Chiefs have not committed to bringing in another receiver, Vermeil said, but have been in contact with former Eagles wideout Freddie Mitchell.

Hakim, released by the Detroit Lions in April, had not signed a contract with Kansas City.

"We had agreements, but we kept thinking about it," Vermeil said. "It wasn't the best opportunity for Az, and I'm happy for him."

The Chiefs have not committed to bringing in another receiver, Vermeil said, but have been in contact with former Eagles wideout Freddie Mitchell.

845614[/snapback]

Whoof. Hakim and Mitchell are on the same recruiting page?

I may need to temper my expectations for Hakim...

Bottom line: Hakim wanted a guaranteed roster spot and Vermeil wanted him to compete. Hakim didn't like the fact that he had to compete for his job.

Just like Tyson, he seems to have no heart in the game. Any real competitor would have it no other way, just look at Rice in Denver. Smell ya later Hakim!

Bottom line:  Hakim wanted a guaranteed roster spot and Vermeil wanted him to compete.  Hakim didn't like the fact that he had to compete for his job.

Just like Tyson, he seems to have no heart in the game.  Any real competitor would have it no other way, just look at Rice in Denver.  Smell ya later Hakim!

845750[/snapback]

Or... he got more guaranteed money in New Orleans. You can't blame him for taking a better offer.

Do we know for a fact that the Saints are offering a multiyear deal? I've heard from a friend who works for the Saints that he thought it was just a 1 year deal.

845680[/snapback]

I have only heard of a 1 year offer . However if he signs here he will play here no doubt about it and that does seem to be at least part of the issue for him!

I dont think i'm in the minority in thinking he will be a nice addition as a 3rd rec here in New Orleans.

This is all about playing time. Saints offered more money to begin with, and he turned that down originally. Sounds to me like once he got to KC, he had second thoughts about being able to grab their WR3 spot ...

"Az and his agent got together, and they really felt his best situation was not here for him," said Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, who said the Saints were offering more money and that the Chiefs could not guarantee a roster spot. "I told you all along that I wanted what was best for him, and I think he's going to end up in New Orleans."

Sat 18 June Times Pic article