[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Freddy Mitchel Signed by KC

max

I agree that it is low cost and low risk but I agree with crispirons as well. I don't expect to see a ton of production out of Mitchell. I think it is funny that a former 1st round pick has only 5 td's in his career. I also think it is interesting that since 2002 Mitchell had 4 rec td's and Mike Vrabel has 3 rec td's since 2002. A LB with only one less TD since 2002 than a former 1st round wr pick :D

How could a 1st round pick be such a waste??  :D

846573[/snapback]

There are plenty of first rounders who are wastes. Mitchell signed with KC, so someone still believes in him somewhat. Look at Ryan Leaf as an example of a total first round bust. Akili Smith .......

I agree that it is low cost and low risk but I agree with crispirons as well.  I don't expect to see a ton of production out of Mitchell.  I think it is funny that a former 1st round pick has only 5 td's in his career.  I also think it is interesting that since 2002 Mitchell had 4 rec td's and Mike Vrabel has 3 rec td's since 2002.  A LB with only one less TD since 2002 than a former 1st round wr pick  :D

846494[/snapback]

I still believe he can be a good reciever. In Philly, he did catch almost everything thrown to him, remember 4th and 24. Too many options, not enough catches for freddie. I do believe to be a pro athlete you have to be a little conceited, you should think your the best at all times. New system, new coach, who knows. In Philly, he did give up a plethra of good sound bites.

Freddy isn't that bad of a guy, and not that bad of a receiver. Philly hasn't had a standout receiver in a number of years until TO. I agree with Liverlips also, Freddy has above average hands IMO, as he catches the balls thrown to him. His route running isn't great, but I don't remember it being great in college either.

I think Freddy can do well in KC, he's a better athlete than Boerigter, and he's got better hands/height than Hall. Trent spreads the ball around a helluva lot more than McNabb. So why not??

If Freddie Mitchell couldn't beat out James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, etc. to get into the #2 WR spot why would you still think he will be a good WR? He may have solid hands, but there had to be a reason in the 4-5 years he was in Philly he couldn't break into the starting lineup. It's not like the offense was filled with superstars.

BTW, it was 4th and 26. And yes, that was a great catch. But that is all it was, one catch. That seems to be Freddie thing, he catches 1-2 balls a game and runs his mouth like he actually did something. He averaged about 1 TD a year, and that is with being healty most of the time. In fact I don't think he was ever injured but I could be wrong on that. KC is lucky they only have to deal with him for 1 year.

Granted I didnt see Mitchell playing a lot over the last few years a Philly homer may be able to comment on this better than me. There is something I didnt like about Mitchell from what I saw of him in the past. The times I saw him running a slant or a post pattern it seemed that if a DB was within 10 yards of him he seemed to have a chronic case of alligator arms. Likie I said I didnt get to watch a lot of Philly games and maybe he just happened to do that in the handful of games I saw him playing in.

Edited by max

I still believe he can be a good reciever. In Philly, he did catch almost everything thrown to him, remember 4th and 24. Too many options, not enough catches for freddie. I do believe to be a pro athlete you have to be a little conceited, you should think your the best at all times. New system, new coach, who knows. In Philly, he did give up a plethra of good sound bites.

846775[/snapback]

Freddy isn't that bad of a guy, and not that bad of a receiver. Philly hasn't had a standout receiver in a number of years until TO. I agree with Liverlips also, Freddy has above average hands IMO, as he catches the balls thrown to him. His route running isn't great, but I don't remember it being great in college either.

I think Freddy can do well in KC, he's a better athlete than Boerigter, and he's got better hands/height than Hall. Trent spreads the ball around a helluva lot more than McNabb. So why not??

847039[/snapback]

Agree and agree. He obviously has talent, and will be able to easily be the Chiefs #2 WR - if not better... but Gonzo is obviously the #1 target.

Anyways, he'll be given a shot... who knows, perhaps he'll set out to prove the doubters wrong.

If Freddie Mitchell couldn't beat out James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, etc. to get into the #2 WR spot why would you still think he will be a good WR?  He may have solid hands, but there had to be a reason in the 4-5 years he was in Philly he couldn't break into the starting lineup.  It's not like the offense was filled with superstars.

BTW, it was 4th and 26.  And yes, that was a great catch.  But that is all it was, one catch.  That seems to be Freddie thing, he catches 1-2 balls a game and runs his mouth like he actually did something.  He averaged about 1 TD a year, and that is with being healty most of the time.  In fact I don't think he was ever injured but I could be wrong on that.  KC is lucky they only have to deal with him for 1 year.

847067[/snapback]

Charles Johnson? Torrance Small? Let's not talk about a rookie Fred-X here. That has absolutely no bearing. Maybe I'm wrong but half of the guys you note above were solid veteran receivers that would OF COURSE start over a rookie, in most cases. Last season, when he really got him bearings w/ McNabb, he was an involved 3rd receiver behind TO and Pinkston (who, for some reason, McNabb loves).

Let's give the Mouth a chance to prove himself... he might just run his mouth and catch 500 yards' worth of passes... or he could conceivably do very well.

I'm on the Freddie bandwagon...sort of...

only because I might draft him...

McNabb DID NOT like Freddie at all, for reasons we will probably never know of...

I've seen games where Freddie was wide open and McNabb ignored him...On a team like the Chiev's, I think he could seriously be worth a late flier...

A lost cost, low risk signing for the Chiefs.

They may get something out of him, and I have a feeling Vermeil may be able to get him to keep his trap shut.

846447[/snapback]

I can see it now ...

Dick V - "If Freddie would just take his diaper off ..."

Agree and agree.  He obviously has talent, and will be able to easily be the Chiefs #2 WR - if not better... but Gonzo is obviously the #1 target.

847159[/snapback]

i think you are completely wrong. sammie parker will be the chiefs number 2 wr this yr. gonzo is the number one target, but i would be concerned about kris wilson as well. i believe they will run alot of 2 te sets. jmo. vermeil is high on parker and wilson and expects them to contribute alot this yr.

Agree and agree.  He obviously has talent, and will be able to easily be the Chiefs #2 WR - if not better... but Gonzo is obviously the #1 target.

Anyways, he'll be given a shot... who knows, perhaps he'll set out to prove the doubters wrong.

Charles Johnson? Torrance Small?  Let's not talk about a rookie Fred-X here.  That has absolutely no bearing.  Maybe I'm wrong but half of the guys you note above were solid veteran receivers that would OF COURSE start over a rookie, in most cases.  Last season, when he really got him bearings w/ McNabb, he was an involved 3rd receiver behind TO and Pinkston (who, for some reason, McNabb loves).

Let's give the Mouth a chance to prove himself... he might just run his mouth and catch 500 yards' worth of passes... or he could conceivably do very well.

847159[/snapback]

He was a first round pick who couldn't break into the starting lineup for 4 years. Until Owens came in last season I think everyone would agree that the Eagles had bad WRs.

All we hear is if Freddie just gets a chance. Shouldn't he have made his own chances by playing well enough to be a starter. If he was a starter, hence on the field most of the time, McNabb couldn't ignore him no matter how much he didn't like Freddie.

He was a first round pick who couldn't break into the starting lineup for 4 years.  Until Owens came in last season I think everyone would agree that the Eagles had bad WRs.

All we hear is if Freddie just gets a chance.  Shouldn't he have made his own chances by playing well enough to be a starter.  If he was a starter, hence on the field most of the time, McNabb couldn't ignore him no matter how much he didn't like Freddie.

847929[/snapback]

He probably shouldn't have been a first-round pick. I'm not Mitchell apologist, don't get me wrong. He's undersized, and has a big mouth.

Moreover, he's nowhere close to being a "prototypical #1 WR". Can he flourish in KC? I'd say sure, he has a far better chance of it there than in Philly.

Here's my prediction: 850 yards, 7 TDs. Will that help fantasy teams? Probably not so much, unless you start 4 WRs or have a moderately-sized bench.

Here's my prediction:  850 yards, 7 TDs.  Will that help fantasy teams?  Probably not so much, unless you start 4 WRs or have a moderately-sized bench.

848022[/snapback]

how about a little huddle membership bet for next yr. your numbers are gaudy. i will bet you that freddie doesn't crack 700 yards or 6 t.d.s. if he does one but not the other its a push. if either of us get both right, the other buys the huddle membership for next yr. let me know.

He probably shouldn't have been a first-round pick.  I'm not Mitchell apologist, don't get me wrong.  He's undersized, and has a big mouth. 

Moreover, he's nowhere close to being a "prototypical #1 WR".  Can he flourish in KC?  I'd say sure, he has a far better chance of it there than in Philly.

Here's my prediction:  850 yards, 7 TDs.  Will that help fantasy teams?  Probably not so much, unless you start 4 WRs or have a moderately-sized bench.

848022[/snapback]

FredEx will have to (1) make the team and (2) earn some playing time first.

confirming what i have said already:

The signing of Freddie Mitchell gives the Chiefs some veteran insurance at wide receiver in case Samie Parker isn't ready for a full-time role. Parker will be given the first shot to win one of the starting spots, but Mitchell could take it from him by being a standout at training camp. But it's not a given Mitchell will even make the team. Mitchell could be released prior to the season's start if he's outplayed by Parker, Richard Smith, Marc Boerigter or Chris Horn. . . .

OFFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS: The Chiefs will look to get Kris Wilson more involved. The versatile Wilson can line up in a variety of spots -- in the backfield, as a tight end, in the slot, in motion or even as a wide receiver -- and the Chiefs will attempt to exploit any potential matchups they believe will work in their favor. A personnel grouping featuring Wilson and Tony Gonzalez could present problems for an opposing defense. If the defense goes big, it could have trouble covering both players. If the defense goes small, the Chiefs may be successful running the ball.

INSIDE DISH: The Chiefs will miss wide receiver Johnnie Morton more than they think. Morton didn't give the Chiefs many big plays, but he evolved into the dependable possession-type receiver they will soon lack. Morton made a number of difficult catches last season, and Trent Green often looked for him on third down. Samie Parker will provide more big plays and has good speed and hands but doesn't yet have that trust with Green.

WIDE RECEIVERS ANALYSIS: Grade: C-. Proven ability is scarce. The Chiefs need a big season from Samie Parker, who must stay healthy.

i think you are completely wrong.  sammie parker will be the chiefs number 2 wr this yr.  gonzo is the number one target, but i would be concerned about kris wilson as well.  i believe they will run alot of 2 te sets.  jmo.  vermeil is high on parker and wilson and  expects them to contribute alot this yr.

847922[/snapback]

Ding Ding Ding. Crisp has it. Wilson is a stud. He was tearing up first string defenses in preseason last year before he broke his leg. I know it was preseason but he can't be defended one on one with a LB just like Gonzo can't. They will throw a bunch of 2 TE's sets, create mismatches down the middle of the field and Trent is gonna pick the defense apart. Of course when Priest and LJ aren't doing that themselves. Mitchell will be just what Morton served to this team, a 3rd down WR. They need someone who can be consistent on 3rd down. I think any avg WR in this offense can fill Morton's shoes, they cut him to get a cheaper option, and this is what they have done.

confirming what i have said already:

The signing of Freddie Mitchell gives the Chiefs some veteran insurance at wide receiver in case Samie Parker isn't ready for a full-time role. Parker will be given the first shot to win one of the starting spots, but Mitchell could take it from him by being a standout at training camp. But it's not a given Mitchell will even make the team. Mitchell could be released prior to the season's start if he's outplayed by Parker, Richard Smith, Marc Boerigter or Chris Horn. . . .

OFFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS: The Chiefs will look to get Kris Wilson more involved. The versatile Wilson can line up in a variety of spots -- in the backfield, as a tight end, in the slot, in motion or even as a wide receiver -- and the Chiefs will attempt to exploit any potential matchups they believe will work in their favor. A personnel grouping featuring Wilson and Tony Gonzalez could present problems for an opposing defense. If the defense goes big, it could have trouble covering both players. If the defense goes small, the Chiefs may be successful running the ball.

INSIDE DISH: The Chiefs will miss wide receiver Johnnie Morton more than they think. Morton didn't give the Chiefs many big plays, but he evolved into the dependable possession-type receiver they will soon lack. Morton made a number of difficult catches last season, and Trent Green often looked for him on third down. Samie Parker will provide more big plays and has good speed and hands but doesn't yet have that trust with Green.

WIDE RECEIVERS ANALYSIS: Grade: C-. Proven ability is scarce. The Chiefs need a big season from Samie Parker, who must stay healthy.

848267[/snapback]

Great analysis. I agree with everything except the fact that we will miss Morton. I think anyone who is reliable can be plugged into that slot. The QB has to trust who DV sticks out there and he will. The 2 TE set was killing defenses last year when we unveiled it, it was supposed to be our biggest change on the offense last year, and then he got hurt. I think DV knows that he can exploit any wekness of any defense thrown at him with the players/utility men he has assembled on the offense. Their are enough weapons to spread the ball around, don't forget about the 2 RB's sitting back there with huge holes to run through as well. This offense when all put together should be scary!