[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mr. Clutch

General Itals

Watched that other sport's championship series game last night, and Horry pulled another one out for his team with a last second shot. What's that make, five or six in his career? Absolutely amazing.

This guy has fairly mediocre regular season stats throughout his career, has really no chance at his leagues Hall of Fame, but still comes up big in the playoffs time after time. Got me to wondering who the NFL's version of Horry is, past or present.

The guy who came to mind for me is Adam Vinatieri. Decent kicker, but he doesn't seem to have the biggest or most accurate leg in the regular season. Get him into the post season though and he is money.

Who you got?

I don't think there is a NFL's version of Horry. It is pretty tough in the NFL to have a guy who is a bench player all season come in during a playoff/championship game and make a difference the way Horry does. Most of the clutch players in the playoffs also are clutch in the regular season in the NFL. And if for some reason a back-up comes up big in the playoff in the NFL he most likely won't repeat that again. Horry seems to do it every season. My vote would go to Vinatieri as well if I had to pick.

I honestly don't think its a fair comparison. Horry had an open look for 3 and made it, as he always seems to do in big games. Vinatieri made big kicks, but the snap, hold, line...all things have to click. A QB needs his WR to catch the ball, RB needs his line to hold up, etc...etc. Baseball you could compare easier for this, a pinch hitter who always comes up big for instance. Just my 2 cents........

I honestly don't think its a fair comparison.  Horry had an open look for 3 and made it, as he always seems to do in big games.  Vinatieri made big kicks, but the snap, hold, line...all things have to click.  A QB needs his WR to catch the ball, RB needs his line to hold up, etc...etc.  Baseball you could compare easier for this, a pinch hitter who always comes up big for instance.  Just my 2 cents........

848416[/snapback]

Just for the sake of argument, I do think you can make a fair comparison.

Vinatieri needs: the snap, hold, protection, etc...

Horry needs: ball movement, player movement, the pass, etc...

There's no doubt in my mind that was a designed play. Knowing Duncan's doubled, get the ball to Ginobili, if help comes kick it out to Horry for the 3 and the win.

Both scenarios come down to proper execution by the entire team.

Just for the sake of argument, I do think you can make a fair comparison.

Vinatieri needs:  the snap, hold, protection, etc...

Horry needs:  ball movement, player movement, the pass, etc...

There's no doubt in my mind that was a designed play.  Knowing Duncan's doubled, get the ball to Ginobili, if help comes kick it out to Horry for the 3 and the win.

Both scenarios come down to proper execution by the entire team.

848473[/snapback]

I'm not much of a basketball junkie, but I agree Vinatieri does make many clutch plays. We know he isn't the best kicker in the league, but when the Pats need a last minute 3, they will pass the ball and pressure to him.

I would also say Vinatieri. Brady? No. He gets his kicker inside the 50 and puts it on him to win it. Brady is more like the guy who got the pass in to Horry. Important, sure, but never the guy that actually wins the game.

Freddie Mitchell?

848540[/snapback]

As much flak as Freddie catches here, that was an unbelievable clutch play. The catch in the endzone TO made to beat the Packers in the playoffs a few years back ranks right there with it.

Vote has to go to Brady for overall clutch performances.