[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

British Open

Squeegiebo

It's that time again when I ask you all for advice on who to start in a Major in my golf league. This is a big one for me, as I have picked up some ground and am not far out of 1st place, and because I have so many darn European players to choose from. :D

My options (must play 5):

Tiger Woods

Padraig Harrington

Darren Clarke

Luke Donald

Lee Westwood

Justin Rose (Don't see him in the field yet - can he really not be playing? :D )

Peter Lonard

Paul Casey

Stephen Leaney (Same as with Rose)

Jose Maria Olazabal

David Howell

I'm tempted to just go with my top 5 draft picks (Woods through Westwood), but Lonard did win a few weeks ago, Olazabal has been playing well this year, and I can't completely write off Howell or Casey.

Thoughts?

(FYI - in case you didn't know, they're playing at St. Andrews this year. Last time the Open was at St. Andrews (2001), a Mr. Eldrick Woods won :D , Clarke finished T7, Harrington T20, Olazabal T31, Elkington T60, Westwood T64, and Donald and Leaney missed the cut.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's that time again when I ask you all for advice on who to start in a Major in my golf league.  This is a big one for me, as I have picked up some ground and am not far out of 1st place, and because I have so many darn European players to choose from.  :D 

My options (must play 5):

Tiger Woods

Padraig Harrington

Darren Clarke

Luke Donald

Lee Westwood

Justin Rose  (Don't see him in the field yet - can he really not be playing?  :D )

Peter Lonard

Paul Casey

Stephen Leaney (Same as with Rose)

Jose Maria Olazabal

David Howell

I'm tempted to just go with my top 5 draft picks (Woods through Westwood), but Lonard did win a few weeks ago, Olazabal has been playing well this year, and I can't completely write off Howell or Casey.

Thoughts? 

(FYI - in case you didn't know, they're playing at St. Andrews this year.  Last time the Open was at St. Andrews (2001), a Mr. Eldrick Woods won  :D , Clarke finished T7, Harrington T20, Olazabal T31, Elkington T60, Westwood T64, and Donald and Leaney missed the cut.)

863851[/snapback]

I did see that Justin Rose did not qualify for the Open.

Woods, Olazabal, Harrington, Clarke, Casey....IMO.

I think Luke Donald has peaked for the year....that's just a swag though.

Where has Olazabal been playing well this year?  Certainly not in the U.S.

868097[/snapback]

:D

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am T16

Nissan Open T37

Chrysler Classic of Tucson T9

Ford Championship at Doral T6

BellSouth Classic P2

MCI Heritage T13

Shell Houston Open 3

the Memorial Tournament T45

Birdie Average 3.81 14th

Scoring Average 70.35 26th

Sand Save Percentage 62.5% 5th

All-Around Ranking 466 20th

Money Leaders $1,138,648 33rd

Par Breakers 21.3% 23rd

Putts Per Round 28.30 7th

Not bad for only 11 events.

Woods, Olazabal, Harrington, Clarke, Casey....IMO.

I think Luke Donald has peaked for the year....that's just a swag though.

868149[/snapback]

The talking heads have really been talking Donald up this season, particularly re: the US Open. You could be right, though. That would be my typical luck.

Why do you say Casey? Dude has only made 2 cuts in 7 starts, including the W/D after an opening-round 85 at the US Open. You know something I don't? :D

AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am T16

Nissan Open T37

Chrysler Classic of Tucson T9

Ford Championship at Doral T6

BellSouth Classic P2

MCI Heritage T13

Shell Houston Open 3

the Memorial Tournament T45

Birdie Average 3.81 14th

Scoring Average 70.35 26th

Sand Save Percentage 62.5% 5th

All-Around Ranking 466 20th

Money Leaders $1,138,648 33rd

Par Breakers 21.3% 23rd

Putts Per Round 28.30 7th

Not bad for only 11 events.

869135[/snapback]

:doah:

Figures. It seems I have a tremendous knack for picking him in the events he misses the cut. :D

Just checked out 3 different betting sites, and the oddsmakers all agree on Woods, Clarke, Donald, and Westwood, so I'm going with those 4.

One site had Lonard as the 5th.

Another had Howell and Casey ahead of Lonard.

The third had Lonard and Olazabal at the same odds as my 5th.

I'm thinking of going with Lonard. If someone has a good reason why I should start Olazabal, Howell, or Casey instead of Lonard, I would gladly consider the info.

This would be so much easier if Harrington were playing. :D

alright Squeeg :D ... here's my thoughts.

Tiger Woods - 19

Padraig Harrington -6

Darren Clarke -8

Luke Donald +4

Lee Westwood +3

Peter Lonard - DNP

Paul Casey -DNP

Stephen Leaney +1

Jose Maria Olazabal -4 :D

David Howell - DNP

2000 St. Andrews results

these are the scores from your team..... the last time they were at St. Andrews. don't get too caught up in who's hot... who's not heading into this tourney. :D Heck, Hamilton & Curtis weren't on anyones list. :D

I think Olazabal gets a look.... he was only 1 of 4 of your players that finished under par in 2000. And if you go back to 1995... he was top 30 that year too. This track is a beast especially for guys who haven't competed here before in an open championship.

Best of luck.... here's our draft BTW

Team 1- woods, clarke, perry & cink

Team Fraz - mickelson, toms, donald & jimenez

Team 3 - singh, westwood, love & cabrera

Team 4- els, furyk, dimarco & leonard

Team 5 - goosen, garcia, appleby & bjorn

don't get too caught up in who's hot... who's not heading into this tourney. :D Heck, Hamilton & Curtis weren't on anyones list. :D

I think Olazabal gets a look.... he was only 1 of 4 of your players that finished under par in 2000. And if you go back to 1995... he was top 30 that year too. This track is a beast especially for guys who haven't competed here before in an open championship.

876365[/snapback]

Good info here. Thanks! :D

876365[/snapback]

I just read this...

Driving will be key to the Championship says Garcia

"Driving the ball well is going to be huge," said Sergio Garcia, Europe's leading player in the world rankings, after his first practice round on the Old Course. "I'd say it's quite a bit different from where it was playing in 2000. The changes have made the course quite a bit tougher than five years ago."

The new tees, thicker rough and narrower fairways have all combined to put a premium on tee shots. "Five years ago it was just hit it pretty much as high as you can and carry all the bunkers," he added. "But this year you can't do that on some of the holes. If you just miss a fairway, miss it by three yards, which is not a bad tee shot, you're going to struggle to get some control on your ball.

... which, when combined with this....

Jose Maria Olazabal - 2005 Stats

Driving Accuracy Percentage 62.5% 92nd

Total Driving 210 134th

... makes me a little wary of Jose Maria. :D

I think I like the Lonard pick. Was just reading my SI preview issue for the British and they have some info about him and his ability to play in the wind. They say he has the best knockdown shot in the game. Just what he'll need this weekend I think. His one victory on the PGA this year was in very windy conditions.

Thanks for all the tips guys! :D

I may have to resort to my version of the coin toss to decide fantasy lineups: I take two dog treats designate the one in my left hand as Olazabal and the one in my right as Lonard, and whichever one my dog chooses first gets the start.

I may have to resort to my version of the coin toss to decide fantasy lineups:  I take two dog treats designate the one in my left hand as Olazabal and the one in my right as Lonard, and whichever one my dog chooses first gets the start. 

876943[/snapback]

My dog picked Olazabal. So did my husband.

I already turned in my lineup using Lonard, but I can change it anythime before midnight.

If I make the last-minute switch to Olazabal, I just know he'll miss the cut and Lonard will finish in the top 20.

:D:D

My dog picked Olazabal.  So did my husband.

I already turned in my lineup using Lonard, but I can change it anythime before midnight.

If I make the last-minute switch to Olazabal, I just know he'll miss the cut and Lonard will finish in the top 20. 

:D  :D

877523[/snapback]

Squeeg, I took Lonard in the Best Ball Challenge, thus assuring that he will not make the cut. :soundofotherHuddlersstampedingtochangetheirlineup:

Stick with Olazabal.