[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breeds of Dog

Savage Beatings

My Fellow Huddlers,

The wife and I are thinking about adopting a dog and I was wondering if you all had any collective knowledge about breeds and such...

We're looking for a non-puppy that doesn't shed and has a temperament that is very good with small children (we have a 1 year old). Size isn't really all that important to us I guess (or so my wife keeps telling me), but we'd really like a non-shedding dog that's already housebroken and won't eat our baby. What do you think?

Also, we have a large yard, but do not have a fence up (and probably won't for a little while) so we'd probably have to get some kind of tether or other sytem to let the doggy run around. Any suggestions on this?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Fellow Huddlers,

The wife and I are thinking about adopting a dog and I was wondering if you all had any collective knowledge about breeds and such...

We're looking for a non-puppy that doesn't shed and has a temperament that is very good with small children (we have a 1 year old).  Size isn't really all that important to us I guess (or so my wife keeps telling me), but we'd really like a non-shedding dog that's already housebroken and won't eat our baby.  What do you think?

Also, we have a large yard, but do not have a fence up (and probably won't for a little while) so we'd probably have to get some kind of tether or other sytem to let the doggy run around.  Any suggestions on this?

865243[/snapback]

I've heard that golden retrievers are great with kids but I have no experience with them. We have a corgi and they're suppose to be pretty good around kids as well. Once again, I don't have any kids so you may want to try akc.org and research the dogs you're thinking about getting.

Try your local Humane Society or look up where you can get a greyhound. They are actually very sweet dogs (even with kids) and I don't need to tell you about how they're mistreated in racetrack situations, so it's for a good cause.

Get a mutt.  Mutts usually end up being the best dogs.  For some reason they seem to be smarter than full breeds.

865245[/snapback]

Good advice on getting the mutt. I do not agree with the intelligence assessment, but full-breed dogs typically have more health problems and can be very high-strung if they're a working breed.

Plan all you want, chances are when your wife walks into the pound, she'll fall in love with some trouble maker. :D

As far as adopting a dog, I am not sure that breed makes all that much difference. Most are mix breed. There are a number of dogs that don't shed and have an easy temperment, but that always doesn't mean that you will get such an animal. Go to the Human society or whatever and visit the animals. That would be the best advice I can give.

The doggy run is easy. There are a number of invisible fence systems that work great, but they need to be used properly. The dog has to be introduced to them or they will run right through them and down the street being zapped by the collar. The other alternative is to buy a cable until you build your fence.

We had a Chinese Shar-pei. She was a wonderful dog until we move. Apparently they don't like change. She liked our wooded backyard of our last yard. She couldn't handle the move to the 'burbs and needing to be walked to relieve herself.

She was great with children, but horrible with other animals. Vet bills were outrageous. The breed is known to have many skin issues because of the wrinkles.

I had a cocker spaniel growing up. He was a great dog. He could run and play with others no problem.

Your search is over. For a nonshedder, consider the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. They're adorable, have great temperaments. And they're cute. What else do you need? :D

Wheaten Pics

One of my neighbors just got one. She's adorable.

There are lots of hybrid breeds available now too. Labradoodles are a mix between standard sized poodles and Labs. Lab size, slightly curly hair, non shedding.

We had a miniature Schnauzer when I was a kid. I'm told they don't shed either.

Get a mutt.  Mutts usually end up being the best dogs.  For some reason they seem to be smarter than full breeds.

865245[/snapback]

Not sure if the're smarter, but they do seem to appreciate their owners more.

I've heard that golden retrievers are great with kids but I have no experience with them. We have a corgi and they're suppose to be pretty good around kids as well. Once again, I don't have any kids so you may want to try akc.org and research the dogs you're thinking about getting.

865250[/snapback]

Mine is a pointer mix that I found near my house & she's absolutely wonderful with my girls. Never had a better dog & I doubt I ever will.

But I would still say that getting a mutt from the pound isn't an automatic win. My sister-in-law recently adopted a corgi that someone dumped off near my house & it's snapped at a few people, including me, since she's had it.

We have a Golden that is great with kids. She sheds but we get her a "field cut" in the summer that helps. She is a honey(we've had two other that were also wonderful pets).

865273[/snapback]

Goldens are awesome dogs, but they do shed.

Mini-schnauzers are cool dogs, but they're very "adult" and business-like.

Do NOT get a beagle unless you like barking or can tolerate the dog getting the #$#$@ shocked out of it by a no-bark collar. I've never seen a quiet one.

Cockers, like other spaniels are very high energy dogs. If you're game, they make great pets. The do shed.

I have a miniature dachsund, you should get one of those.

865258[/snapback]

What he said.  Kids love them because they're so little.  Mine has the sweetest temperment in the world and does not shed.

865281[/snapback]

My mom has one & plans to breed. He's a great dog with a great temperment, but not good for kids because their backs are very fragile. Kids would likely be too rough for him.

Your search is over. For a nonshedder, consider the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. They're adorable, have great temperaments. And they're cute. What else do you need? :D

Wheaten Pics

One of my neighbors just got one. She's adorable.

There are lots of hybrid breeds available now too. Labradoodles are a mix between standard sized poodles and Labs. Lab size, slightly curly hair, non shedding.

We had a miniature Schnauzer when I was a kid. I'm told they don't shed either.

865265[/snapback]

Looks like a cute little stuffed animal... I might have to check into those furballs! :D

Try your local Humane Society or look up where you can get a greyhound.  They are actually very sweet dogs (even with kids) and I don't need to tell you about how they're mistreated in racetrack situations, so it's for a good cause.

865252[/snapback]

Yes it is. I got a new one(avatar) after putting my 14 year old to sleep in December. I like Shepard/Huskies, but they shed. Still the pound has excellent dogs.

Petfinder is an excellent search engine for pets.

We have a Bischon and he is great with our daughters. My youngets beats the crap out of him and he never once snapped at her. He doesnt shed. and he was named after the greatest running back in the history of football..Thats right Emmitt.

Another mutt vote here. Picked up my beagle-dachsund mix, Biscuit, at the Humane Society a couple years. Coolest dog in the world. Short-haired, short legs - looks kinda like he swallowed a football. And as a bonus, the Humane Society generally worms them and neuters/spays them to boot.

My sister spent $800 apiece on a male and female miniature poodle with the intention of breeding them. The male came down with diabetes. Can you believe? F'n poodle diabetes. It costs her about $900 a year for his insulin. I spend less on my own health.

I agree on adopting form the pound. My girlfriend and I just adopted a retriever/lad mix(I think) and she has a great temperament and is excellent with our children. She does shed a little though but not not bad if you keep them brushed. Also, when considering size even with a good natured dog you have to be careful with children around the stairs, very easy for a larger dog to knock down children inadvertently.

I agree on adopting form the pound. My girlfriend and I just adopted a retriever/lad mix(I think) and she has a great temperament and is excellent with our children. She does shed a little though but not not bad if you keep them brushed. Also, when considering size even with a good natured dog you have to be careful with children around the stairs, very easy for a larger dog to knock down children inadvertently.

865366[/snapback]

:DBig dogs are OK around kids - it makes 'em tough. My kids get knocked over by my dogs all the time due to the simple fact that the kids and dogs are all very active. Big dogs are good to teach kids about confidence too. I get a real kick out of watching my tiny 6-year-old daughter send 185 lbs of dog to the kennel.

Another great thing about big dogs is that you'll never have to dust the coffee table - those big, ever-wagging tails do a great job!

I got a mutt that looks like a border collie dalmation mix. Sheds like freakin crazy twice a year. This dog had been abused, and was a real project to turn around. I got her at about 5 months, but she's a great dog now. Awesome squirrel hunter. Log me in as a mutt person.

Try your local Humane Society or look up where you can get a greyhound.  They are actually very sweet dogs (even with kids) and I don't need to tell you about how they're mistreated in racetrack situations, so it's for a good cause.

865252[/snapback]

:D I was going to get a greyhound. They need the love. But Mrs. RR decided to get a Lab, she's good, but sheds like crazy! Plus, it takes her about an hour to get used to strangers. And as Sky will attest to, if you go outside and come back in, her inner being (memory) re-sets, and she starts all over again. :D