[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breeds of Dog

Savage Beatings

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do NOT get a beagle unless you like barking or can tolerate the dog getting the #$#$@ shocked out of it by a no-bark collar.  I've never seen a quiet one.

865285[/snapback]

Got a beagle living next door and I highly agree with this statement...dog whines and barks more than my basset hound...

As for bassets...these dogs are great with children and will knock them over with much gusto. They don't look that big but at 60 lbs they are one solid doggy and pack a terrific punch. Bassets, depending on which type you get, shed something fierce. My brown-and-white basset named Babs must drop about 5 lbs of hair a day...I'm making some cool rugs and baskets with it. Bassets also tend to drool a lot and is why most people release them into the wild after owning them for a few weeks. You also can't ever, ever let them off the leash because they'll be in the next county before you know it...once they get a whiff/scent of something they are gone. And those invisible fences don't work worth a sh't on a basset hound, as the stupidity level is at such a high I don't think they really feel it or know what it is... :D ...as for real fences, they just tunnel underneath so you should think about digging a trench parametered around your whole house about 4 ft. deep and filling it with concrete, if you want to thwart their efforts of escape...

Other points to consider for the basset...they don't fetch, even when you aim the ball at their head...their anal glands get impacted all the time and they will spend the whole day dragging their butts across your carpet trying to loosen it up, and if this happens you will need new carpet. Their ears, being so long, must be cleaned 1-2 times per day or you will notice a huge stink'n odor every time the dog comes near you and then you'll have to spend half a day at the vet's office listening to a lecture about how to clean a basset's ears and treat them for yeast infections.

They also can't swim and will sink like a rock if they get anywhere near water, something to consider if you have a pool, although they do seem to like drinking highly-chlorinated water. You should never, ever attempt to re-tie fishing lures around bassets as they will grab your crank bait with their mouth and you will spend the next hour trying to extract a treble-hook from said orifice. Another thing, if any type of loud noises are close by, like gunshots, fireworks, skill saws, etc...then you will need a few bottles of doggie valium to calm their nerves, once you successfully extract them off your ceiling...

That's about it for now, I'm sure there are a few more that I can't or choose not to think about right now...but for the most part, basset hounds are pretty cool dogs...

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

Got a beagle living next door and I highly agree with this statement...dog whines and barks more than my basset hound...

As for bassets...these dogs are great with children and will knock them over with much gusto.  They don't look that big but at 60 lbs they are one solid doggy and pack a terrific punch.  Bassets, depending on which type you get, shed something fierce.  My brown-and-white basset named Babs must drop about 5 lbs of hair a day...I'm making some cool rugs and baskets with it.  Bassets also tend to drool a lot and is why most people release them into the wild after owning them for a few weeks.  You also can't ever, ever let them off the leash because they'll be in the next county before you know it...once they get a whiff/scent of something they are gone.  And those invisible fences don't work worth a sh't on a basset hound, as the stupidity level is at such a high I don't think they really feel it or know what it is... :D ...as for real fences, they just tunnel underneath so you should think about digging a trench parametered around your whole house about 4 ft. deep and filling it with concrete, if you want to thwart their efforts of escape...

Other points to consider for the basset...they don't fetch, even when you aim the ball at their head...their anal glands get impacted all the time and they will spend the whole day dragging their butts across your carpet trying to loosen it up, and if this happens you will need new carpet.  Their ears, being so long, must be cleaned 1-2 times per day or you will notice a huge stink'n odor every time the dog comes near you and then you'll have to spend half a day at the vet's office listening to a lecture about how to clean a basset's ears and treat them for yeast infections.

They also can't swim and will sink like a rock if they get anywhere near water, something to consider if you have a pool, although they do seem to like drinking highly-chlorinated water.  You should never, ever attempt to re-tie fishing lures around bassets as they will grab your crank bait with their mouth and you will spend the next hour trying to extract a treble-hook from said orifice.  Another thing, if any type of loud noises are close by, like gunshots, fireworks, skill saws, etc...then you will need a few bottles of doggie valium to calm their nerves, once you successfully extract them off your ceiling...

That's about it for now, I'm sure there are a few more that I can't or choose not to think about right now...but for the most part, basset hounds are pretty cool dogs...

865422[/snapback]

:D I think they are cool animals, but your diatribe is priceless! :D

As for bassets...these dogs are great with children and will knock them over with much gusto.  They don't look that big but at 60 lbs they are one solid doggy and pack a terrific punch.  Bassets, depending on which type you get, shed something fierce.  My brown-and-white basset named Babs must drop about 5 lbs of hair a day...I'm making some cool rugs and baskets with it.  Bassets also tend to drool a lot and is why most people release them into the wild after owning them for a few weeks.  You also can't ever, ever let them off the leash because they'll be in the next county before you know it...once they get a whiff/scent of something they are gone.  And those invisible fences don't work worth a sh't on a basset hound, as the stupidity level is at such a high I don't think they really feel it or know what it is... :D ...as for real fences, they just tunnel underneath so you should think about digging a trench parametered around your whole house about 4 ft. deep and filling it with concrete, if you want to thwart their efforts of escape...

Other points to consider for the basset...they don't fetch, even when you aim the ball at their head...their anal glands get impacted all the time and they will spend the whole day dragging their butts across your carpet trying to loosen it up, and if this happens you will need new carpet.  Their ears, being so long, must be cleaned 1-2 times per day or you will notice a huge stink'n odor every time the dog comes near you and then you'll have to spend half a day at the vet's office listening to a lecture about how to clean a basset's ears and treat them for yeast infections.

They also can't swim and will sink like a rock if they get anywhere near water, something to consider if you have a pool, although they do seem to like drinking highly-chlorinated water.  You should never, ever attempt to re-tie fishing lures around bassets as they will grab your crank bait with their mouth and you will spend the next hour trying to extract a treble-hook from said orifice.  Another thing, if any type of loud noises are close by, like gunshots, fireworks, skill saws, etc...then you will need a few bottles of doggie valium to calm their nerves, once you successfully extract them off your ceiling...

865422[/snapback]

Classic! :D

The Wheatens get to be about knee high, so they're not TOO small but not overpowering either. The purebred types that are show dogs get the funny haircuts similar to Schnauzers. Left natural, they are very cute.

865422[/snapback]

:D:D That was great

female lab

nuff said

865482[/snapback]

My female lab is a friggin' nut case. She's a good dog, loves to retrieve, find birs and all, but she is so HIGH strung. She cries, whimpers and yelps if you make her stay at heel or stay. It was too annoying, so I just let her break at the shot now. I can call her back if I have to.

What do you like about females? My male was a much better natural hunter and obviously stronger, but I've only had 1 lab of each gender.

865422[/snapback]

Basset hounds are awesome. I had one from when I was a year old 'til I was 15. She was dumber than a post, but a wonderful dog for a kid. She followed me everywhere. We didn't have any problems with her glands or ears. Maybe the dry climate helps?

Once every few months, she'd catch one of our chickens and she'd walk around like she conquered Europe. She'd point pheasants that wandered into out corn or raspberries. Just very cool dogs.

I have a 5 month old daughter and two decent sized dogs. One is a lab/German Sheperd mix (90 pounds) and the other is a Rott/Hound mix we think (105 pounds). I really feel that getting some kind of mixed dog from the shelter is the way to go. Both of these dogs are great with my daughter. A lot of it has to do with the amount of time you can devote to training and how much time you are willing to spend with them IMO. Gotta go mutt!!!

Also, I think it's great you're looking to adopt from a shelter!

Get a hunting dog, German wire hairs are great house dogs and they love water and will retrieve until you cant throw the ball any more and they make great hunters as well. The other plus about them is they dont shed, you only need to strip out there under coat 3 times a year. Oh yea there very good with children, the one thing about a true line of gun dog is they are bred to be good around other dogs and people, where a watered down Lab or show dog may or may not be good and don't get one from a backyard mutt breeder.

I would get a young dog with your child being one year old.

Dogs have to find their niche in the house a puppy will adapt without any problems. An older dog from the shelter could have a difficult time adjusting to their place in the household (it has already been in a house before).

As far as size I have Dobermans and have had German shepards when I was younger.

There was never any problem and a large dog is likely to allow much more pulling etc than a smaller dog.

You will be able to tell about a dog the first day you have him/her in the house.

Give some food and after a few seconds take it away if there is no reaction you have a keeper. If you get a reaction the dog must be taught that there is plenty of food in this situation and there is no need to fight/protect what they are given.

Bettis

I've heard that golden retrievers are great with kids but I have no experience with them. We have a corgi and they're suppose to be pretty good around kids as well. Once again, I don't have any kids so you may want to try akc.org and research the dogs you're thinking about getting.

865250[/snapback]

Golden Retrievers are GREAT dogs and great around kids, but they do shed quite a bit. Here is a picture of my Golden Retriever, Bettis, the greatest, and best looking dog on the planet. :D

http://photobucket.com/albums/v343/mattivo...Bettisbeach.jpg

Try your local Humane Society or look up where you can get a greyhound.  They are actually very sweet dogs (even with kids) and I don't need to tell you about how they're mistreated in racetrack situations, so it's for a good cause.

865252[/snapback]

my wife and i have a small dog rescue that we do out of our home in the evenings and weekends.... (we have wall to wall dogs).

i would greatly recommend a rescued dog- they really need the help (but then again i am biased). every guy that we have rescued has turned out to have an excellent personality. many breeder dogs come with issues and tend to have the personality problems...

i would NOT recommend a greyhound if you do not have a fenced in yard however. they are great dogs (we started off with about 12 of them), but they love to chase.... they will go off after a rabbit or something else small- they will run and run until they catch it or loose it- by which time they are too far from home to remember how to get back (and usually get lost). they also do not do well with invisible fences.

petfinder is an excellent tool to help you find the right guy. we live in cincinnati and have been able to find homes for about 100 dogs since we started last october- and 90% of those homes came from our petfinder site.

pm me if i can help....

good luck!

Guest aqualung
my wife and i have a small dog rescue that we do out of our home in the evenings and weekends.... (we have wall to wall dogs).

i would greatly recommend a rescued dog- they really need the help (but then again i am biased).  every guy that we have rescued has turned out to have an excellent personality.  many breeder dogs come with issues and tend to have the personality problems...

i would NOT recommend a greyhound if you do not have a fenced in yard however.  they are great dogs (we started off with about 12 of them), but they love to chase.... they will go off after a rabbit or something else small- they will run and run until they catch it or loose it- by which time they are too far from home to remember how to get back (and usually get lost).  they also do not do well with invisible fences.

petfinder is an excellent tool to help you find the right guy.  we live in cincinnati and have been able to find homes for about 100 dogs since we started last october- and 90% of those homes came from our petfinder site.

pm me if i can help....

good luck!

865951[/snapback]

Two :D to you. Great work dug. 100 dogs is impressive.

Two :D to you. Great work dug. 100 dogs is impressive.

865955[/snapback]

thanks

here is our site- at the top are 2 links- one lists the adoptable guys we have now, the other (happy tails) lists the kids we have already adopted out....

My Webpage

Edited by dug

:D  What do they do, run a Vietnamese restaurant? :D

865962[/snapback]

i said we live in cincinnati- not a lot of vietnamese restaurants here....

(we prefer to deal with the chinese)

IMO with kids, you can't go wrong with Goldens and Labs. I knew a Black Lab when I was a kid that was absolutely the best behaved and intelligent dog of any I've ever known.

I also like the English Springer Spaniel. They are very trainable, great with kids, but need a better-than-average sized yard IMO. It must have its coat trimmed about twice a year, but the shedding is almost non-existant. It also has very attractive black and white coloring. I think they also come in brown and white.

Dauchunds are stupid, headstrong dogs that refuse to be house trained. We had 2 long-haired varieties when I was a kid becasue my insane great aunt kept giving them to us and would never have one again.

IMO with kids, you can't go wrong with Goldens and Labs.  I knew a Black Lab when I was a kid that was absolutely the best behaved and intelligent dog of any I've ever known.

I also like the English Springer Spaniel.  They are very trainable, great with kids,  but need a better-than-average sized yard IMO.  It must have its coat trimmed about twice a year, but the shedding is almost non-existant.  It also has very attractive black and white coloring.  I think they also come in brown and white.

Dauchunds are stupid, headstrong dogs that refuse to be house trained.  We had 2 long-haired varieties when I was a kid becasue my insane great aunt kept giving them to us and would never have one again.

866087[/snapback]

I'll second the lab and golden retriever endorsement, but offer a word of warning on the springers.

I had a great spring spaniel. As she got older, she got a little whacky - would instantly snap an people, including me. When I asked the vet about this, he said that springers are especially susceptible to something called Canine Rage Syndrome. My springer was great with kids until she was about 7 years old. I couldn't trust her when I had kids, so she had to stay with mom and dad.