[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Breeds of Dog

Savage Beatings

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO with kids, you can't go wrong with Goldens and Labs. 

866087[/snapback]

true dat. We have a golden that is absolutely the best dog I've ever seen with kids. My 4 year old girls lay on her, ride her like a horse, pull her tail, pull her ears... and all she does is wag her tail & lick them with her foot-long tongue. :D

labs and goldens are great.

i have personally grown found of hounds. we rescued a coonhound mother who had puppies at our house... they are the kindest, gentlest big dogs i have seen. great with kids.

we have also had a few rotties that have been absolute dolls. alot of a dog's personality comes from the care you as an owner show them. if you keep them chained out in the backyard- they will be distant and not so nice. if your dog is treated as part of the family- they will show you the love back.

Edited by dug

I'm sure goldens and Labs are awesome...but he did specify non-shedding. I think you all just want him to have to deal with all the hair. Misery loves company. :D

To get a full understanding of dogs that don't shed too much first we must look at the different coat types of dogs. Dog coats can be divided into four categories, the Short Shedding, the Heavy Undercoated Shedding, Harsh Terrier Coats and Soft Silky or Curly Coats.

Examples of dogs in the first category are Boston Terriers and Boxers. Although their fur is short they are not good candidates for people looking for low shedding dogs because they do shed quite a bit and their fur has an oily quality that traps their dander.

Dogs that have heavy undercoats tend to shed a lot too. The undercoat is constantly falling out on this type of dog also making them a poor chose for people looking for a non-shedding dogs Some dogs who have heavy undercoats are Collies, Golden Retrievers, Labs and the different types of Spaniels.

Harsh Terrier-Coated dogs do not tend to shed as much. These dogs must be groomed frequently or their hair will come out in tufts eventually. Schnauzers and Wire Fox Terriers are two types of dogs in this category.

Finally, in the Soft Silky or Soft Curly Non-shedding category you will find the Shih Tzu, Maltese, Yorkshire Terrier, Poodle and Bichon Frise. These dogs are good for the allergy prone or otherwise hair-averse.

Other low-shedding dogs are Afghan Hounds, Doberman Pinschers, Irish Water Spaniels Portuguese Water Dogs, Poodles, and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers.

Recently dog breeders have been developing breeds to cater to those looking for dogs with hypoallergenic properties. Labradoodles (pics on the right)(a Labrador and Poodle mix) and Schnoodles (picture)(a mix of schnauzer and poodle) are two of these newer breeds.

i have personally grown found of hounds.  we rescued a coonhound mother who had puppies at our house... they are the kindest, gentlest big dogs i have seen.  great with kids.

866305[/snapback]

What kind of coonhound?

I've got a redbone hound that I really love. He's very vocal - not a bark, mind you, but long, sweet baying sounds. He "tells" me hello every day when he hears me open the garage. :D I love it. He does like to run though. If the kids accidentally let him out, he doesn't stop until he's got somebody's cat treed. 'Course he's easy to find because he really lights up once he's got one treed - you can hear him a long way off.

Gunnar is nearly 95 lbs. now, which is big for the breed. He's just a pig. My lab has learned she has to chow hard to get her share of food. I now fully understand where the term "chow hound" comes from.

I'm sure goldens and Labs are awesome...but he did specify non-shedding. I think you all just want him to have to deal with all the hair. Misery loves company.  :D

866307[/snapback]

Excellent information! Thanks a lot!!! :D:D

man...you ask for non-shedding breeds that are good with kids, and you get recommendations for goldens and shar peis :D

you might think about one of the lab/poodle or golden/poodle type mixes, those don't shed much if at all, and they're supposed to have great temperments especially around kids. or a portugese water dog, which is kind of similar. for a smaller breed, maybe a boston terrier.

Seriously savage...my scottie doesn't shed. Is very playful and cuddling. I have taken him to nursing homes and children's hospitals as a therapy dog. He also defended my wife from a doberman that broke out of his back yard. My dog doesn't weigh more than 17 lbs. but faught bravely...I will NEVER own another breed except a lab...as I am an avid hunter.

If you are interested I can help you find a full blood scottie (pm me)...you won't be disappointed.

Now...they are sensitive around their ears. If you have a small toodler that grabs a lot and pulls...they may not be ideal...however if yer child is older and wants a play companion...they are perfect. "Rock" who I named after his dad's favorite wrestler loves to chase balls and squirrells. Good luck in yer choice.

What kind of coonhound?

I've got a redbone hound that I really love.  He's very vocal - not a bark, mind you, but long, sweet baying sounds.  He "tells" me hello every day when he hears me open the garage.   :D   I love it.  He does like to run though.  If the kids accidentally let him out, he doesn't stop until he's got somebody's cat treed.  'Course he's easy to find because he really lights up once he's got one treed - you can hear him a long way off. 

Gunnar is nearly 95 lbs. now, which is big for the breed.  He's just a pig.  My lab has learned she has to chow hard to get her share of food.  I now fully understand where the term "chow hound" comes from. 

866375[/snapback]

the pregnant one is a treeing walker coon (looks like a beagle on steriods). she had a litter mixed with other treeing walkers and some that were all black (lab daddy maybe??).

we just got a redbone yesterday- he is a sweatheart. gets along with everyone- kinda on the small end- only looks to be aboput 40 pounds.

Edited by dug

Seriously savage...my scottie doesn't shed. Is very playful and cuddling. I have taken him to nursing homes and children's hospitals as a therapy dog. He also defended my wife from a doberman that broke out of his back yard. My dog doesn't weigh more than 17 lbs. but faught bravely...I will NEVER own another breed except a lab...as I am an avid hunter.

If you are interested I can help you find a full blood scottie (pm me)...you won't be disappointed.

Now...they are sensitive around their ears. If you have a small toodler that grabs a lot and pulls...they may not be ideal...however if yer child is older and wants a play companion...they are perfect. "Rock" who I named after his dad's favorite wrestler loves to chase balls and squirrells. Good luck in yer choice.

866647[/snapback]

My parents scottie was mean as crud. Use to snap at people all of the time. Take a look at Pembroke Welsh Corgis or French Bulldogs, you won't be disappointed.

My parents scottie was mean as crud. Use to snap at people all of the time. Take a look at Pembroke Welsh Corgis or French Bulldogs, you won't be disappointed.

866734[/snapback]

I've always liked those Pembroke Welsh Corgis. Those big heads on those tiny little bodies are great! If we do not end up rescuing a dog, then that's one of the most likely breeds I would pick from.

Get a Boxer... we have two, they are great with kids and would love the big yard. :D

866257[/snapback]

Nice, quick, avi change, but ....................

:D

I hope this one is safe!! All my Avi's get the AXE... Whats wrong with thongs??! Or body painting, SI publishes them???

866937[/snapback]

:D but don't want to go there! :D

Hey whazup WW???? :D

BTW NFL............nice NEW avi! :D

We have a Bichon Frise. He doesn't shed at all and is a good friendly dog. He has not been around kids a lot but the times he has been around kids he reacted very well to them.

866734[/snapback]

Must have been a bloodline from the poochwacker. :D

I don't recognize those characteristics at all. He needs to piss in the morning and shats during the day...other than that...they must be polar's.

I hope this one is safe!! All my Avi's get the AXE... Whats wrong with thongs??! Or body painting, SI publishes them???

866937[/snapback]

I had to holla at Jumpin Johnies too...I had my avy snatched once or twice. Don't make me pull up my beast that Meat Face gave me.

I'd like to submit a vote for the Portugese Water Dog.  We've got two.  Very loving, energetic, yet content to just hang.  Great dogs.

867561[/snapback]

yeah, my uncle has one and it's just a fantastic dog. almost perfect for a family pet. the only downsides are 1) they're not always easy to find for sale in many places, and 2) they look a little funky if you don't dig the 'fro and it seems like they have to be clipped (sheared?) fairly often.