[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Name Some of the Best "White" Wide Receivers

It almost HAS to be Steve Largent, followed by Easy Ed.

868926[/snapback]

Agreed - Largent had the better career, but my heart sings :D for homer pick Eddie McCaffery. That guy caught a lot of balls he had no business hanging onto. Fearless.

Reminds me of a great old AFC West moment - anyone remember when Steve Smith (I think) hit Largent coming over the middle. He broke Largent's helmet and kocked teeth out.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed - Largent had the better career, but my heart sings  :D  for homer pick Eddie McCaffery.  That guy caught a lot of balls he had no business hanging onto.  Fearless.

Reminds me of a great old AFC West moment - anyone remember when Steve Smith (I think) hit Largent coming over the middle.  He broke Largent's helmet and kocked teeth out. 

869262[/snapback]

Steve Largent & Eddie Mac are at the top of my list too...anyone mention Raymond Berry? He's gotta be up there...I think the hit Largent took was from Mike Harden of the Broncos in the late 80's...a couple weeks later Harden made a pick against the Seahags and Largent laid some serious wood to Harden...DBs forget that what goes around comes around...

At least someone has Hutson on there radar. He lead the league in TDs 8 out of 11 years he played. Pretty amazing out scoring RBs in the 30s & 40s when passing wasn't the thing to do. Not even the great Jerry Rice can say that.

867524[/snapback]

Took me a while to admit that Rice is better than Hutson, but what #14 did back in the day was incredible. His receiving TD record stood for 44 years. What's amazing is Rice has put up almost as significant a gap between himself and other WRs in an era that encourages gaudy passing #s.

schreoder wasn't bad

867474[/snapback]

Let's see - no heart, poor route running, gator arms across the middle - if his QB hadn't been named "Brett Favre" his career would have looked more like....well, like it did when he went to Detroit.

Lance Alworth, Lance Rentzel, Ray Berry, Don Maynard

867376[/snapback]

Many of you aren't old enough to remember Lance Rentzel. He was a Wide Receiver for the Dallas Cowboys and he was married to Joey Heatherton (back when Joey was a fox and a half). Lance was on top of the world.

One evening, Lance came out of a local tavern and when he got to his car he decided he needed to take a leak, so he just whipped it out right there and answered nature's call. There happened to be a 10 year old girl sitting in a nearby car waiting for her mother and she witnessed the whole thing. Lance was arrested for indecent exposure and the media painted him as some sort of sexual deviant, child molester weirdo. He took a piss in a parking lot when he was about half in the bag, for crying out loud. Probably not the smartest thing he ever did, I'll grant you that, but if was a far cry from child molestation. At any rate, the Cowboys dropped him like a hot rock, Joey divorced him and his life was ruined.

:D

Many of you aren't old enough to remember Lance Rentzel. He was a Wide Receiver for the Dallas Cowboys and he was married to Joey Heatherton (back when Joey was a fox and a half). Lance was on top of the world.

One evening, Lance came out of a local tavern and when he got to his car he decided he needed to take a leak, so he just whipped it out right there and answered nature's call. There happened to be a 10 year old girl sitting in a nearby car waiting for her mother and she witnessed the whole thing. Lance was arrested for indecent exposure and the media painted him as some sort of sexual deviant, child molester weirdo. He took a piss in a parking lot when he was about half in the bag, for crying out loud. Probably not the smartest thing he ever did, I'll grant you that, but if was a far cry from child molestation. At any rate, the Cowboys dropped him like a hot rock, Joey divorced him and his life was ruined.

:D

871665[/snapback]

That post is identical to this one from Google...

04/29/05: Lance Rentzel

Posted by: mangy-ranger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another from ESPN top ten list

The List: Biggest falls from grace

By Jeff Merron

7. Lance Rentzel

The All-America Oklahoma running back became a flanker in the pros, with a great pair of hands. He was married to knockout starlet Joey Heatherton, who set hearts aflutter with her suggestive mattress commercials. He was the Cowboys leading receiver in the late 1960s. Unfortunately, the all-pro wide receiver also had a proclivity to expose himself to young children; he pled guilty to one charge in 1966, then was convicted of another charge in 1971. Suspended from football for nearly a year, Rentzel had a few more good seasons with the Rams before retiring. He also wrote a great memoir, entitled "When All the Laughter Died in Sorrow."

This is in no way to pick on Rentzel. He was a fabulously talented Receiver and certainly fit for discussion in this thread. I merely post this, becuase I felt the above post was an inaccurate discription of real life events. I would suggest that anyone who cares read Rentzel's well acclaimed Memior...When All the Laughter Died in Sorrow

Oh well sorry for the serious interlude.