[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redd resigns with the Bucks

Guest Sores

I'm really quite surprised Redd didn't sign with the Cavs. I skimmed over the story on ESPN (which I'm starting to really hate, by the way) and in the local paper today, so maybe my understanding isn't totally correct here... but couldn't the Bucks match whatever the Cavs were offering and that offer would have to be accepted? Not sure... in any case, I would have liked to see him on the Cavs. He's not savvy enough of a scorer to be a team's #1. He can shoot lights-out, that's for certain, but he's not a terrific ball-handler or creator like LBJ. If he were to go to the Cavs, he and LBJ would form one of the deadliest backcourts in the East, perhaps in the NBA. Oh well, another year of 22 points a game for Redd and another 30-win season for the Bucks.

I'm really quite surprised Redd didn't sign with the Cavs.  I skimmed over the story on ESPN (which I'm starting to really hate, by the way) and in the local paper today, so maybe my understanding isn't totally correct here... but couldn't the Bucks match whatever the Cavs were offering and that offer would have to be accepted?  Not sure... in any case, I would have liked to see him on the Cavs.  He's not savvy enough of a scorer to be a team's #1.  He can shoot lights-out, that's for certain, but he's not a terrific ball-handler or creator like LBJ.  If he were to go to the Cavs, he and LBJ would form one of the deadliest backcourts in the East, perhaps in the NBA.  Oh well, another year of 22 points a game for Redd and another 30-win season for the Bucks.

868775[/snapback]

I believe the Cavs could only offer a 5-year deal, while the Bucks were able to offer the 6 year deal. I'd have to re-read the article, but if I am not mistaken, Poston represents both Redd and Bogut, and having a legiot outside threat can only help Boguts chances of doing well his first 3 years, thus increasing his value for the next deal.........

I'm really quite surprised Redd didn't sign with the Cavs.  I skimmed over the story on ESPN (which I'm starting to really hate, by the way) and in the local paper today, so maybe my understanding isn't totally correct here... but couldn't the Bucks match whatever the Cavs were offering and that offer would have to be accepted?  Not sure... in any case, I would have liked to see him on the Cavs.  He's not savvy enough of a scorer to be a team's #1.  He can shoot lights-out, that's for certain, but he's not a terrific ball-handler or creator like LBJ.  If he were to go to the Cavs, he and LBJ would form one of the deadliest backcourts in the East, perhaps in the NBA.  Oh well, another year of 22 points a game for Redd and another 30-win season for the Bucks.

868775[/snapback]

I think that only would have worked had Redd agreed to an offer from the Cavs... he could hav left the offer out there to see if any other teamsdecided to pony up, but the Bucks I think didn't want to deal with that and gave him the max deal. 6-years for $90-96 million vs. the 5-year $70-million offer from the Cavs.

I believe the Cavs could only offer a 5-year deal, while the Bucks were able to offer the 6 year deal. I'd have to re-read the article, but if I am not mistaken, Poston represents both Redd and Bogut, and having a legiot outside threat can only help Boguts chances of doing well his first 3 years, thus increasing his value for the next deal.........

868797[/snapback]

I think that only would have worked had Redd agreed to an offer from the Cavs... he could hav left the offer out there to see if any other teamsdecided to pony up, but the Bucks I think didn't want to deal with that and gave him the max deal. 6-years for $90-96 million vs. the 5-year $70-million offer from the Cavs.

868803[/snapback]

Ah - good point about Bogut. He certainly needs a guy like Redd around if he's gonna develop. No Redd there would spell certain disaster for the Buckos.

Ah - good point about Bogut.  He certainly needs a guy like Redd around if he's gonna develop.  No Redd there would spell certain disaster for the Buckos.

868807[/snapback]

Plus, they should have a healthy TJ Ford back this year which will really help. Not predicting anything spectacular, but on paper, this is already a very improved team. With Joe Smith at the power forward and Desmond Mason at the 3, the starting lineup looks strong.

Plus, they should have a healthy TJ Ford back this year which will really help. Not predicting anything spectacular, but on paper, this is already a very improved team. With Joe Smith at the power forward and Desmond Mason at the 3, the starting lineup looks strong.

868814[/snapback]

Sure the starters look alright... I am a HUGH Ford guy, but I don't think he'll be a difference maker (to borrow a DMD term). Joe Smith had spells last season, but his clock's a-tickin'. Love Mason as the 2-3 with Redd and Bogut, though. I don't think they're as improved as you do... but they could have gotten (is that a word?) worse, certainly.

Look, in the east.... you have teams like Chicago (vastly improved), Detroit (the Patriots of the NBA - team concept, defense), Miami (Shaq & Wade), Boston (vastly improved via draft), Indiana (still solid), Cavs (LBJ)... the list goes on. With the exception of the Hawks, Magic, Knicks... I don't see how it gets much worse than the Bucks.

well.. considering where they were coming rom, they have vastly improved.... not saying they are playoff contenders or anything like that, but they are not league doormats like they easily could have been.

Chicago is in an interesting situation with Chandler, Curry and O. Harrington all free agents. Yes, they will match any offer to Chandler IMO, but the others they may lose. Maybe not a huge blow, but, it's never goos to lose big men with the ability to score. Not that Curry ever lived up to his billing, but if he is able to recover from the heart issue, he is a legit starter in the league.

Also.. just how much money do the Cavs have... I know they planned on being active in free agency, but looking over the msn free agent overview, they have the Cavs as a suitor for just about every top 10 free agent at each position.

Guest Sores

If the Bucks get TJ back healthy (or should I say healthy back), look for them to be MUCH improved. It will be like getting two lottery picks with NBA-type experience (Ford actually in the NBA...Bogut in International competition as well as working out with the Jazz while at Utah). To me TJ is the key to the season.

Also.. just how much money do the Cavs have... I know they planned on being active in free agency, but looking over the msn free agent overview, they have the Cavs as a suitor for just about every top 10 free agent at each position.

868827[/snapback]

About $28 million. Ilgauskas will cost about $12 / year. Which now they MUST do, having missed out on both Allen & Redd.

Cavs are now chasing Joe Johnson (restricted), Larry Hughes, & Bobby Simmons.

Also a point guard, either Anthony Daniels or some Lithuanian that is supposed to be good.

About $28 million.  Ilgauskas will cost about $12 / year.  Which now they MUST do, having missed out on both Allen & Redd.

Cavs are now chasing Joe Johnson (restricted), Larry Hughes, & Bobby Simmons.

Also a point guard, either Anthony Daniels or some Lithuanian that is supposed to be good.

869575[/snapback]

I doubt the Cavs will land Johnson or Hughes. Simmons is a possibility, but I am crossing my fingers the Clippers don't act Clipper-like and actually re-sign the guy.

I think you're referring to Antonio Daniels - he's a possibility, although the Lakers are pretty interested in him too. Heck, I think McInnis is just as good as Daniels. So if Daniels signs with the Cavs, maybe the Lakers could swing something with the Cavs to get McInnis. The Lithuanian you're thinking of is probably the Clippers' Marko Jaric, and he's a longshot, as the Clippers are going to try to re-sign him.

If the Bucks get TJ back healthy (or should I say healthy back), look for them to be MUCH improved.  It will be like getting two lottery picks with NBA-type experience (Ford actually in the NBA...Bogut in International competition as well as working out with the Jazz while at Utah).  To me TJ is the key to the season.

868985[/snapback]

my obsession is absolutely right. The key to next year is a healthy TJ Ford. Look what the Bucks did two years ago with Ford and I believe they were the only team in the East to take the Pistons to 6 games in the playoffs. With Ford playing they will have Mo Williams, Jiri Welch, Reece Gaines (I hope he gets a spot in the rotation), Dan Gadzurich, and Marcus Fizer coming off the bench.

I don't want to get too excited but I think the Bucks at least make the playoffs with a 6-8 seed. I am also up in the air on the Terry Stotts hiring.

I doubt the Cavs will land Johnson or Hughes.  Simmons is a possibility, but I am crossing my fingers the Clippers don't act Clipper-like and actually re-sign the guy.

I think you're referring to Antonio Daniels - he's a possibility, although the Lakers are pretty interested in him too.  Heck, I think McInnis is just as good as Daniels.  So if Daniels signs with the Cavs, maybe the Lakers could swing something with the Cavs to get McInnis.  The Lithuanian you're thinking of is probably the Clippers' Marko Jaric, and he's a longshot, as the Clippers are going to try to re-sign him.

869660[/snapback]

Johnson is restricted and word is Phoenix intends to match any offer, so you are probably right about him. I don't know about Hughes, the Wizards made the 2nd round of the playoffs so he may stay put. I don't really know much about Simmons.

Of course I mean Antonio Daniels. Anthony is the guy that played C-3PO. LOL

The Lithuanian is Sarunas Jaskevicius, "a 29-year-old point guard who played at Maryland from 1994-98. He's 6-foot-4 and has been the star of the Maccabi Tel Aviv team, which has won the past two European championships." See this Terry Pluto / Akron Beacon Journal article for more info.

McInnis is gone. He's a unrestricted FA and the Cavs are not going to resign him.

Johnson is restricted and word is Phoenix intends to match any offer, so you are probably right about him.  I don't know about Hughes, the Wizards made the 2nd round of the playoffs so he may stay put.  I don't really know much about Simmons.

Of course I mean Antonio Daniels.  Anthony is the guy that played C-3PO.  LOL

The Lithuanian is Sarunas Jaskevicius, "a 29-year-old point guard who played at Maryland from 1994-98. He's 6-foot-4 and has been the star of the Maccabi Tel Aviv team, which has won the past two European championships."  See this Terry Pluto / Akron Beacon Journal article for more info.

McInnis is gone.  He's a unrestricted FA and the Cavs are not going to resign him.

869700[/snapback]

I'm fairly positive Hughes plans on staying in Washington. He really likes playing with Arenas and Jamison, whom he was friendly with in Golden State (oh what could have been).

While they will likely try to keep Ilauskas, there are several serviceable centers that are free agetns should they for some reason not resign him. Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler (Chicago will match any offer), Dalembert, and a few others I forget.

I'm fairly positive Hughes plans on staying in Washington. He really likes playing with Arenas and Jamison, whom he was friendly with in Golden State (oh what could have been).

While they will likely try to keep Ilauskas, there are several serviceable centers that are free agetns should they for some reason not resign him. Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler (Chicago will match any offer), Dalembert, and a few others  I forget.

869802[/snapback]

The Plain Dealer is fairly positive you're wrong.

869955[/snapback]

Yeah, BC was wrong! Wow, Hughes in Cleveland... story

This gives Cleveland arguably the best backcourt in basketball. Two young studs in the backcourt for years to come - assuming the Cavs can keep LBJ. Cav fans should be doing backflips.

While they will likely try to keep Ilauskas, there are several serviceable centers that are free agetns should they for some reason not resign him. Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler (Chicago will match any offer), Dalembert, and a few others  I forget.

869802[/snapback]

869955[/snapback]

Yeah, BC was wrong!  Wow, Hughes in Cleveland... story

This gives Cleveland arguably the best backcourt in basketball.  Two young studs in the backcourt for years to come - assuming the Cavs can keep LBJ.  Cav fans should be doing backflips.

869963[/snapback]

Wow... I had just read a couple articles yesterday talking about how happy Hughes was in Washington and that he didn't plan on leaving unless a real kick ass offer came, and even then he may decide to stay to keep the core in tact.

maybe loyalty and the fact that he gave his word mean something, too :D

869967[/snapback]

I agree. Redd was a second round pick the Bucks gave a chance and helped turn him into an All-Star. Nice to see someone want to stay in Milwaukee.

Sure the starters look alright... I am a HUGH Ford guy, but I don't think he'll be a difference maker (to borrow a DMD term).  Joe Smith had spells last season, but his clock's a-tickin'.  Love Mason as the 2-3 with Redd and Bogut, though.  I don't think they're as improved as you do... but they could have gotten (is that a word?) worse, certainly. 

Look, in the east.... you have teams like Chicago (vastly improved), Detroit (the Patriots of the NBA - team concept, defense), Miami (Shaq & Wade), Boston (vastly improved via draft), Indiana (still solid), Cavs (LBJ)... the list goes on.  With the exception of the Hawks, Magic, Knicks... I don't see how it gets much worse than the Bucks.

868823[/snapback]

Well, if Bogut is as good as advertised, they have upgraded their C position from a bunch of who-dats to a guy who slides in as the 3rd or 4th best in the conference. Factor in the return of TJ Ford, and while I might be a tad optimistic, I'm predicting a double-digit improvement in the W column, say 12.

Darin or anyone else, didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to ask what you thought about the Bucks signing Bobby Simmons.  I don't know much about him except he won the most improved player last year.

872668[/snapback]

simmons is a pretty darn good player, IMO. it all depends how good bogut is and how healthy ford is, but the bucks have the makings of a pretty good team. right now i'd pencil them in as a low-seed playoff team in the east.

Darin or anyone else, didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to ask what you thought about the Bucks signing Bobby Simmons.  I don't know much about him except he won the most improved player last year.

872668[/snapback]

simmons is a pretty darn good player, IMO.  it all depends how good bogut is and how healthy ford is, but the bucks have the makings of a pretty good team.  right now i'd pencil them in as a low-seed playoff team in the east.

872974[/snapback]

As a closet Clipper fan :D , I was PO'ed to see Simmons not re-signed. Great pickup for the Bucks. He was a pretty solid college talent, but didn't get any respect in the draft - with powerhouses like Brian Scalabrine going ahead of him, despite him completely shutting guys like Scalabrine down in pre-draft camps. Word is that MJ saw Simmons playing in a Chicago pre-draft camp (Simmons is a Chicago kid) and MJ wanted him playing alongside him. He went to the Wizards, but once MJ left, Simmons was cast off to the NBDL. The Clippers signed him as a defensive stopper (something that he's overlooked for at this point, given his offensive game coming to the forefront). With the injuries the Clips withstood early last season, Simmons was given the shot as a starter, and he was hot from the outset. :patsselfonback: I picked him up very early last season in my fantasy basketball team and was totally shocked, proud and in absolute awe as to the numbers he put up. He'll be a great complement to Bogut, Ford, Mason and Redd.

As a closet Clipper fan :D , I was PO'ed to see Simmons not re-signed.  Great pickup for the Bucks.  He was a pretty solid college talent, but didn't get any respect in the draft - with powerhouses like Brian Scalabrine going ahead of him, despite him completely shutting guys like Scalabrine down in pre-draft camps.  Word is that MJ saw Simmons playing in a Chicago pre-draft camp (Simmons is a Chicago kid) and MJ wanted him playing alongside him.  He went to the Wizards, but once MJ left, Simmons was cast off to the NBDL.  The Clippers signed him as a defensive stopper (something that he's overlooked for at this point, given his offensive game coming to the forefront).  With the injuries the Clips withstood early last season, Simmons was given the shot as a starter, and he was hot from the outset.  :patsselfonback: I picked him up very early last season in my fantasy basketball team and was totally shocked, proud and in absolute awe as to the numbers he put up.  He'll be a great complement to Bogut, Ford, Mason and Redd.

873019[/snapback]

Thanks for the in-depth analysis and I am ecstatic that he is good on the defensive end of the court.