[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How do you differ from your political label?

Duchess Jack

Enlightenment does usually lead to tolerance, perhaps because it leads away from blind religion.  As for successful intolerant societies, I think it's necessary to define success. Longevity?  Military conquest?  Legacy in art, literature, architecture, systems?  You could call the Aztecs successful - until they came into contact with another society.  So was that success? 

873088[/snapback]

i dunno, you tell me. you're the one saying knowledge leads to enlightenment and enlightenment leads to tolerance and order and progress and all that. the greeks and romans sure as hell weren't very "tolerant" (maybe when it came to buggering teen-aged boys, but not generally), but their legacies are pretty strong in at least all of the areas you list. every civilization has toppled due to some weakness or other, but you'd have a pretty tough time making an argument that the relative success of ALL of them (however you chose to define it) was somehow tied to their "tolerance", or "enlightenment".

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE('canes2004 @ 7/8/05 10:34pm)

I'll throw down on this. I usually stay out of political discussions on here because I use the Huddle for purpose it was intended, FF. But here goes.

- I am a registered Republican and have been since I was 18. I bought into the program on promises of less goverment, fewer taxes and a strong military.

- I am as anti-religion as they come. I don't care what you or you or you believe in. Heck you can believe that a vacum cleaner is God, just don't shove it down my throat or make my kid pray to your god in class. Let him get his quadratic equations down pat thank you.

- I think most drug laws aren't just silly, they actually are stupid which as I get older I see that most laws are stupid or at least outdated. I cannot understand why a kid can get 4 years in prision for possesion and another guy can get 4 years as well for battery. Our prisions are busting at the seams and a good chunk of them are drug related offenses. If they want to make something illeagal, make tequila illeagal. Trust me.

- I am pro-gun and a card carrying member of the NRA. I have a concealed weapons permitt and I believe I have the right to defend myself and my family by whatever force neccessary.

-While I am not "pro-abortion" I do not believe we need the goverment telling us what to do and making laws against abortion. Most pro-lifers are religous wackos anyway. Trust me, we are a country full of unwanted kids walking the streets , commiting crimes, costing us billions of dollars in leagal, medical and other expenses. While it is sad, if there wasn't abortions just how many more of them would there be. And don't give me that adoption crap. There are 10's of thousands of kids waiting to be adopted. It just aint happening.

-I am anti-censorship on all forms especially media. Don't tell me what I can't watch or listen to. I'm 40 years old and if I want to watch something you find disgusting or crude, GFY. This FCC crap is friggin scary. If you don't want too see/hear it, turn it off. If you don't want your kids to do the same, talk to them, earn their trust, influence them on your beliefs but leave me and my vulgarity alone.

-I think immigration in this country is a joke. Sure let 10 million Mexicans in free of charge Dubya. I mean we have so many social services we can't find enough of our own to spread it out too.

-Not a big fan of social services. Get up, get out, get a job and support yourself.

-I could care less what gays do or do not do. Go ahead let them get married. Why should us straight people be the only ones miserable. I don't care what you do in the privacy of your home. I'm more worried about the increase of weirdo's taking away our kids. Those are the people who we need to find and kill.

-I am pro death penalty. But please lets make sure all the ducks are lined up before we off someone.

-I'm a big fan of the space program. I mean have you checked out some of the stuff the Hubble has found? Amazing.

-I'm a big opponent of foreign aid. We ship off billions and billions to other countries yet we had to raise money so my son's school could get new computers for his classes. Go figure.

-Pro enviornment. I'm not a nut job who thinks we should go back to the Flintstone days, but some of the stuff we do is way beyond resonable. I mean we let cruise ships dump all their crap in the ocean as soon as they get far enough out to sea. It's the only Earth we've got people.

-The war is  Iraq is stupid. You know it, I know it, the world knows it. Let's get the real people responseable for 911. Lets invade Saudi Arabia.  And while were there, some oil would be nice.

Whew, I could go on.............

:D:D

since i get involved with a political post from time to time, i think it's my responsibility to give you my take on a few things.

i guess i am moderate republican. i've been told i fit just as close to libertarian. i gotta be honest, just like hard-core organized religion (we'll get to this later), i am not a big party guy because i think it's a little scary how we generalize about other human beings based on what group they are in. anyway, i'll throw this stuff out there.

i'll start with the religion thing since i made a reference to it above. i grew up in a christian family and went to church every sunday. my stepfather is a pastor, which led to me burning out on religion. here's how i feel now. i believe in "god". i believe there is some form of higher power and if you live an honest life and do what's best for your family and friends, you will be rewarded. i can't guarantee that the reward is "heaven". i think living a good life and not feeling guilty about your actions will reward you with a great satisfaction, good family, and good friends, maybe that is "heaven". i will never tell anyone who believes differently that they are wrong. i think religion was established as a way to maintain order in society, a set of basic principles that all people should follow to completely avoid chaos. don't murder, don't steal, don't nail your buddies' girlfriend, etc. these things are basic, understandable, and keep us from being a bunch of a-holes. i think organized religion is scary. i find it amusing that certain branches of christianity don't like others because they do/don't take communion each week, they do/don't speak the lord's prayer in service, they do/don't etc. etc. even though they believe in the same "god", they argue with each other. i am scared of organized religion because it can develop into cults, holy wars, and everything else. ultimately, i think religion is often used as an excuse to act a certain way and tell someone else that the certain way they act is wrong. i believe that if a kid wants to learn about christianity, islam, and anything else in high school, they deserve to. if we are teaching sex education, political science, and american history, then teaching about religions should be allowed too. i don't think religion should be completely separated from government, this country was founded by people with beliefs. on the other hand, i don't believe religion should have any part in law making, reform, or political platforms.

i think the anti-drug war is misguided. i think alcohol is just as dangerous as most of the things we try to arrest people with. my stance is that if some guys wants to ruin his life by doing meth, then let him do it. it won't be me. but i do think that every person that abuses these drugs to the point that they inflict pain or death or someone else should be arrested and punished severely. if drugs were legalized, they would could get income tax from the drug dealers because it would be their profession. i feel that if drugs were legalized, then people would treat them with more respect and use them more wisely. the problem is that since we have outlawed it for so long, the first few decades of freedom would kill many, many, many innocent people.

i am pro-arms. i hunted growing up, i was taught at an early age to respect firearms, and i know what they could do to another human being if not treated with respect. i think i should have a right to use those arms to protect my family if i was ever put into that situation. i think anyone with a firearm for any use should have a license, be required to pass a safety course, and have a complete background check before they could obtain one. i don't love the idea of someone even with a concealed weapons permit carrying around a firearm. it's not that i don't trust them, it's that i think it's introducing more firearms into the public arena that could be misused if that person was every taken by surprise. so, i don't think there should be any reason that a firearm is in a grocery store unless it's by an on-duty officer of the law.

i am pro-choice, but only to a certain extent. it should never be used as an excuse or a way out. i went to high school with a person that had 3 abortions by the time they were 20. use some protection you idiot! i do believe that in cases of rape, incest, and abuse, that abortion should be an available option. i hate the argument of whether or not a fetus is a life, because it clouds the actual argument of whether or not people should act responsibly in the decisions they make. that's an obvious answer. it shouldn't be about whether or not it's murder, it should be about whether or not the person should be punished because they are acting like a moron.

immigration is a problem that taps into our country's resources. proof of citizenship should be a requirement for buying a car, getting a job, voting, and everything in between. if anybody has a problem with that, they can go through the proper procedures of becoming a citizen, it's not that stinking hard. we are losing jobs, money, and effective social programs because of immigration.

social services are good when used properly, but a nightmare when abused. my mother was a single mom with 2 kids trying to work and get her master's degree. she was ASSISTED by a appropriate social service to help her out through this tough time. reform needs to happen in the case when people abuse these programs. they get a bad rap by the haters because of this.

censorship needs to go as far to protect other people's rights and beliefs. it does not need to control what is out there, but i think it does need to protect what an innocent person or child is exposed to. censorship should be more of the responsibility of the parent and not the government. the problem is that many people don't take the responsibility of being a parent.

i am not against gay marriage. i really don't care what someone else does with their life, it's their choice. i do have a problem with the parenting thing again though in this case. kids shouldn't be raised to think that single parent, same sex parents, etc. type of relationships are wrong or right, but they should be taught about all of them.

i am pro death penalty to a certain point. i do believe in rehabilitation in some cases. but if someone admits to a murder, then should not be allowed to live. done deal. i agree that someone found guilty of a murder but still says they are innocent should be given the chance to prove it through out appeal process. i don't think the appeal process should be allowed to last 40 years. i think the "i'm crazy" defense is a joke. if a person is "crazy" enough to kill someone, they have it in their power to do it again. "temporary insane" to me means "i was an murderer for a short period of time". in my opinion, that's not how it works.

i care for the environment. i think it's everyone's responsibility to take care of it. i think abusive pollution should be punished by law whether it's your neighbor with a trash dump next to a stream in the backyard or the motor company pumping out 5 million autos every year.

i think foreign aid needs to be limited to emergency situations. i don't think any third world country is going to turn themselves around if we keep putting a band-aid on the wound. if you can't grow crops or have no resources in the land you are living in, hey, you might want to think about moving.

i think the iraq war was very misguided. i wish we weren't there, and think we misdirected our initial efforts. but i do support the troops and the military. my father was a ranger in vietnam and he made many sacrifices that he never completely recovered from. i do think we have to protect our country and the rights of our citizens and i have no problem using force to do it. we just have to do it wisely.

i voted for bush. i do not think he is a "great" president. i think he is a good one in many ways. i think like every one of us, he has his faults.

i didn't like john kerry. i don't think he was well-prepared and i wouldn't have wanted to put him into office while we were in the middle of so many other things. i think he would've been voted in if the democrats were more pro-kerry and less anti-bush. sorry, but i think too much effort was put into showing how bad bush was. if that effort was put into proving to people how good kerry would be for this country, they would've won more kerry voters. i would've been one of them. but the bottom line for me was that i did not want to see the wasted time of changing staff, changing policy, and the rest for a guy that i wasn't that impressed with and that didn't even have full support of his own party.

i think bill clinton was over-rated, but a good president.

there are few "great" presidents, and many of us haven't ever seen one. people often mistake looking at the present day and give the current president too much credit for how good or bad things are. the economy, for instance, is a flowing living thing. it goes through very large and small scale cycles and to say that the economy is unhealthy or healthy because of one person is very naive. it can certainly be affected positively or negatively by a president, but many of those swings were set in place by the person in office 2 or 3 or more terms ahead of them based on the long or short term cycles we are going through. many past president's are viewed as good or bad based on one or two things. nixon are jfk come to mind. these guys were not the terrible or not the excellent presidents they are often though of. they both did good things for this country at critical times.

this topic and the people that have responded have proved that the word typical should not be used when referring to political parties. i respect all of the opinions of the huddlers here and hope this gives you all some insight on where i stand. well done ladies and gentlemen.

Fairly conservative but I love the fact that this country is so diverse. I hate the word diversity but I think its great that there are so many different people and ideas in America. What a shi..... place this would be if we were all forced to toe the party line.

Edited by Retrograde assault

• 9 months later...

I'm a conservative Libertarian.

I do oppose abortion...and the death penalty.

I support the legalization of medical Josh Gordon. Have a hard time arguing against its use when I'm putting down a couple bottles of wine on a Friday night.

I supported the removal of Saddam but do not support the way it was done...not even close.

For the most part, I just think govt should stay the hell out of people's private lives.

Republican here...

Fiscal conservative which Bush ain't.

Lock down the borders which Bush doesn't.

Nuke the Ay-rabs which Bush won't.

869973[/snapback]

Fu-ckn A, and our leaders on both sides need a good god-dam dose of reality, pdq!

Edited by Retrograde assault

I'm a centrist but I haven't had the stomach to vote for the GOP on the national level since Spencer Abraham's first election to the senate in '94.