[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Regional foods of football cities

Kid Cid

Every year for Superbowl I like to throw a party. One of the things I do is serve a menu of dishes that are composed of regional foods of the competing teams. Some of them are easy to come up with like Buffalo=wings, but others I don't know too much about. What I'd like to do is compile a list of foods for each city to make future parties easier to plan for. Any and all help will be appreciated. BTW, there can be more than one entry per city/region.

Atlanta - Soul Food, peaches, deep fried turkey

Arizona - Southwestern

Baltimore - Crabcakes

Buffalo- Wings, Beef on Weck

Carolina - BBQ (vinegar)

Chicago - Pan Pizza, Chicago style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwhiches

Cincinnati - Cinci Chili (Skyline)

Cleveland - pierogis, sausage

Dallas - BBQ (beef), Nachos, Chili

Denver - Buffalo

Detroit - Coney Island Dogs

Green Bay- Brats, Wisconsin Beerchese soup

Houston - Tex/Mex

Indianapolis - Pork Tenderloins (for lack of anything better)

Jacksonville - Grilled oysters, smoked kingfish

Kansas City - BBQ

Miami - Stone Crabs

Minnesota - Walleye, macaroni hotdish, Scandinavian Ethnic - Lutefisk, lefsa, and krumkake. German Ethnic - Halupse, dumplings, krautstrudle, and kuchen. Chicken and wild rice soup.

New England - Clambake

New Orleans - Something Cajun or creole

New York (Giants) - Pizza, cheesecake

New York (Jets) - Pizza, cheesecake

Oakland - See SF. Or chitlins according to Yukon.

Philadelphia - Cheesesteak, soft pretzel, Hoagies

Pittsburgh - pierogis, Primanti Bros.

San Diego - Fish Tacos, Shrimp tacos or burritos, carne asada burritos, swordfish and lobster burritos

San Francisco - Wine and Seafood (crab), Sourdough bread

Seatle - smoked salmon

St Louis - Toasted Ravioli, Mostaccioli

Tampa Bay - Grouper sandwich

Tennessee - BBQ (Memphis)

Washington - Crabcakes, seafood

Edited by Kid Cid

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With respect to Detroit, about all that I can think of are Coney Islands.

If, heaven forbid, you find yourself in downtown Detroit, you should stop at the National Coney Island for a couple dogs with everything. thumbs_u

New England:

Lobster

NE clam chowder

Lobster bisque

Clambake

I'm particularly fond of Nantucket bay scallops, in season now.

Keep it simple with lobster and scallop recipies. Lobsters only need to be boiled unless you're doing an honest-to-goodness clambake, in which case they get thrown up under the tarp. Similarly, scallops really only need to be seared a little. My wife sears using bacon fat and mixes in a little maple syrup (real maple syrup... dark amber, not Aunt Jemima) and they really get great flavor this way.

On the clam chowder front, the chowder should be meaty enough to have clam in every bite. Make sure the recipe calls for something that will have some bacon or ham flavoring in it. Here's a good one from The Cliff House in Ogunquit, Maine:

The Cliff House Clam Chowder has been on the menu since 1872.

1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced

1/2 teaspoon butter

1 cup onion, minced

1 medium garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon The Cliff House Spice Blend

[blend 4 tsps oregano, 4 tsps dried parsley, 2 tsps marjoram, 2 tsps dill, 4 tsps thyme, 4 tsps basil, 1 tsp sage, 4 tsps rosemary, 2 tsps tarragon, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, crushing in a mortar if possible. Store in a resealable plastic bag to refrigerate.]

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1 can clams (6-1/2 ounces)

1 cup bottled clam juice

1-1/2 cups Half and Half

1/4 teaspoon white pepper

2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced

In a heavy-bottomed, 4-pint soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and The Cliff House Spice Blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown. Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes. Add white pepper, potatoes and clams. Heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams. Serve at once with crackers and warm cornbread. Serves 6.

Note: While the above recipe, from their cookbook, calls for canned clams and bottled clam juice, the recipe can be easily adapted to fresh clams. See the link to Sayle's Seafood and order some littleneck clams. They come in the shell, so probably allow ½ pound of little necks per serving to make a meaty chowder.

You can also do a google search to find other recipes.

Finally, there are some good frozen clam chowders out there, too. Here's one from The Lobster Guy that's pretty good (it's probably my favorite frozen clam chowder.) Also, while I don't particularly care for Legal Seafoods as a restaurant, they do package a FRESH clam chowder... not sure how how widely distributed it is... that's pretty good.

I'd take anything. I think this is a resource we all could use at some point or another. So simple suggestions like wings or complex ones like the Cliff House clam chowda recipe (which I already have BTW thanx) are all welcome. Even tailgate foods are welcoms.

Pittsburgh:[Warning: my spelling is horrible]

(1) Pierogies (which are, in essence, giant raviolli filled with a variety of things: mashed potatoes and cheese, sauerkraut, etc). Pierogies

(2)Primanti Bros. sandwiches. Basic sandwich (roast beef, corned beef, whatever) with tomatoes, french fries, and vinigrette cole slaw right on the sandwich. Primanti Brothers

driveby:

Green Bay.

Anything that won't make you choke.

Green Bay has gotta be brats.

Seattle = smoked salmon served as a appetizer with raw onions, dijon mustard (excuse me sir, do you have some Grey Poupon ?)on crackers.

And for beverages.... you serve up "quad" tall lattes to sober everyone up so they can drive home.

Chicago:

Pan Pizza

Chi Style Hot Dogs w/

Chicago, distinguishing itself with the most condiments, prepares its hotdogs with yellow mustard, green relish, chopped raw onions, pickles, tomato slices, peppers, and a dash of celery salt on a poppy seed bun.

Good start so far guys. Let's see if we could actually put together a menue for each city though. Keep 'em coming!

Based on my travels to different cities:

Baltimore - Crabcakes or mini carbcakes (called crab balls).

Chicago - Hot Dogs

Green Bay - Brats

Miami - Stone Crabs

New Orleans - Gumbo, Crawfish or Fried Oyster po boys.

Philadelphia - Cheesesteaks (Pat's if available)

Tennessee - rodents

Cleveland has such a diverse ethnic background that not one food distinguishes itself from another. Sausages are handmade and well done depending on the shop. Pierogies are also well done. Lake Erie Walleye and Perch would have to be my submission.

More from Minnesota

Scandinavian Ethnic - Lutefisk, lefsa and krumkake.

German Ethnic - Halupse, dumplings, krautstrudle, knoepfla soup and kuchen.

and any good burger joint in the Twin Cities features its own version of the Juicy Lucy - two quarter-pound beef patties pressed together with the cheese inside.

and in the interest of promoting TC-GB relations, I have to recommend Wisconsin Beercheese soup.

Todd1:

what is weck?  There is a wings chain called BW3 or Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck, but they changed the name to just Buffalo Wild Wings. 

I never knew what the weck was, hence why I think they dropped that from the name.

Weck is short for a kummelweck roll. It has coarse salt on top. You slice the roll and dip it in the au jus before you put thin sliced roast beef on it. Really good with dark deer, like a porter.