[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Regional foods of football cities

Kid Cid

Kid Cid:

Every year for Superbowl I like to throw a party. One of the things I do is serve a menu of dishes that are composed of regional foods of the competing teams. Some of them are easy to come up with like Buffalo=wings, but others I don't know too much about. What I'd like to do is compile a list of foods for each city to make future parties easier to plan for. Any and all help will be appreciated. BTW, there can be more than one entry per city/region.

Atlanta

Arizona

Baltimore - Crabcakes

Buffalo- Wings, Beef on Weck

Carolina - BBQ (vinegar)

Chicago - Pan Pizza, Chicago style hot dogs

Cincinnati

Cleveland - pierogis, sausage

Dallas - BBQ (beef), Nachos, Chili

Denver

Detroit - Coney Island Dogs

Green Bay- Brats, Wisconsin Beerchese soup

Houston

Indianapolis

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Miami - Stone Crabs

Minnesota - Walleye, macaroni hotdish, Scandinavian Ethnic - Lutefisk, lefsa, and krumkake.

German Ethnic - Halupse, dumplings, krautstrudle, and kuchen.

New England - Clambake

New Orleans - Something Cajun or creole

New York (Giants) - Pizza

New York (Jets) - Pizza

Oakland

Philadelphia - Cheesesteak, soft pretzel

Pittsburgh - pierogis, Primanti Bros.

San Diego - Fish Tacos

San Francisco

Seatle - smoked salmon

St Louis - Toasted Ravioli, Mostaccioli

Tampa Bay

Tennessee - BBQ (Memphis)

Washington

Kid, keep updating this! Good thread. thumbs_u

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

San Franscisco

can be known for a number of culinary delights. most known for wine, seafood (crab in particular)

edit:

Arizona

southwestern fare; a lot of peppers

Denver

Steak and game. buffalo is mighty good.

Bier Meister:

San Franscisco

can be known for a number of culinary delights.  most known for wine, seafood (crab in particular)

Not necessarily football related but I know Pac-Bell is famous for it's Garlic Fry's. (They did play a couple of college bowl games there recently)

I took a drunken fiesta down to Cincinnati in college. Through the beer, I remember eating tons of Skyline Chili. There were a ton of ways to order it.

The traditional Cincy chili is served without beans on a bed of spaghetti noodles with a mound of shredded cheese on top.

cool_thu

Egret:

The traditional Cincy chili is served without beans on a bed of spaghetti noodles with a mound of shredded cheese on top.

cool_thu 

I'm IN on Cincy Chili!

General Itals:

More from Minnesota

Scandinavian Ethnic - Lutefisk, lefsa and krumkake.

German Ethnic - Halupse, dumplings, krautstrudle, knoepfla soup and kuchen.

and any good burger joint in the Twin Cities features its own version of the Juicy Lucy - two quarter-pound beef patties pressed together with the cheese inside.

and in the interest of promoting TC-GB relations, I have to recommend Wisconsin Beercheese soup.

Anyone that would serve lutefisk at a superbowl party can keep my invitation.

:holdingnose: graemlin.

On the other hand; lefse, krumkake, and especially sandbakkelse thumbs_u

rocknrobn26:

Trojanmojo:

As a native SoCal I think I can say that SD would be "fish tacos."      cool_thu        :D

Blecht!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fish Tacos? big_shoc Don't diss it till you try it. Unless you just don't like seafood and that's a different story.

For San Diego I'd also suggest shrimp tacos or burritos and carne asada burritos. Swordfish and lobster burritos are **** good as well.

You can go in many different directions for New Orleans but here are a few that truly represent the town.

Seafood Gumbo

Shrimp Creole

Jambalaya

Crawfish Etouffee

Redfish Courtbouillon

Sauce Piquante can substitute chicken or venison for the rabbit

Red Beans and Rice Traditionally eaten in New Orleans on Mondays, so great for Monday Night Football!

Now, these recipes are just samples. Eveyone in New Orleans cooks their food different from everyone else, but these are good starting points. If you aren't comfortable venturing away from the recipe into your own style, then stick to the basic recipe. Once you become familiar with cooking these items, you can adjust the recipes to meet your own tastes.

C'est Si Bon!

coach ALLRIGHT -

What city is known for its BBQ Ribs? I've heard KC, but I was born in Chi-Twon and went to Bears games. Moved to Houston when I was 12, went to Oilers games. So, ONE of those 2 cities needs to have some BBQ Ribs representing!! I've eaten some at both cities before, but not at KC.

MyBoyBlue:

For BBQ, there is only one real choice--KC.  Specifically Gates Brothers BBQ.  IF you're ever in town check it out.  YOu can also order their rubs and sauce, which are good if you like spicy, not sweet, BBQ.  Throw in some Boulevard Beer and you've got a solid meal.

Here's a link to their web site. You can order their sauce and rub online. You also may want to call them: I believe they can vacuum pack slabs of ribs and ship them also.

Gates BBQ

Jacksonville - Burned $7 Bubba bugers and broken dreams are a stadium favorite!!

For that 'just outside the stadium' experience, you can grill up some goat!! Enjoy that savory ruminant as you reminisce over times spent walking through the ghetto in scenic Jacksonville, tickets in hand.

Just kidding... how about grilled oysters? This is close enough to a good month for them. OOH OOH, I got it!! Smoked Kingfish!

Most 'traditional' Jacksonville foods were traditional somewhere else first.