[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seearch function problems...

AtomicCEO

I've tried a few times to do advanced searches, and I have problems...

According to the "advanced usage help":

"+apple +juice" will find posts with both words in it.

But, test it out for yourself... if you type "+ass +munch" into the search engine (as an example), all of the results have "munch" in them... but most of them do not have "ass".

Another problem is with the exact phrase search. If I try to search for "that'll do newbie"... it won't let me perform the search because "do" only has two letters... but if I'm looking for a long string... it shouldn't care that just one of the words is under 2 letters. That makes the exact phrase search very limited.

Am I doing something wrong?

Incidentally... if you search for "ass munch", 9 of the 21 found results are from Sarge. :D

Edited by AtomicCEO
I did yours and I did "+cell +phones" and got the same results, it highlights both words. :D

885761[/snapback]

It highlights both words... but if you look through the results of a search on "+cell +phones", you will see that it returns a post from "boat_hacked" in the "Pet Peeves" thread that only has the word "phone" in it... but not the word "cell". The plus signs are supposed to return results that only have both words in it.

It highlights both words... but if you look through the results of a search on "+cell +phones", you will see that it returns a post from "boat_hacked" in the "Pet Peeves" thread that only has the word "phone" in it... but not the word "cell".  The plus signs are supposed to return results that only have both words in it.

886801[/snapback]

We agree, maybe I mis-spoke. What I meant to say was it highlights cell, phone, and cell phone, when it should only find cell phone. Bad search engine I guess. :D

We agree, maybe I mis-spoke.  What I meant to say was it highlights cell, phone, and cell phone, when it should only find cell phone.  Bad search engine I guess. :D

888807[/snapback]

Maybe it's looking in the whole thread instead of just a single post?

Because a search on "phone" brings up many more responses than the "+cell +phone" search, so it has to be using slightly different criterea... :D

Boy, I really can't express how much this search function sucks.

In Fusion we do our free-agency bidding in the forum. To make it easy to find the bidding threads, all official bid threads had "RFA - Player Name" in the title.

BUT I CAN'T SEARCH FOR the term "RFA", because it doesn't have enough letters!!! :D

So our entire naming convention for 2 years is shot. We can't isolate those threads any more.

What is the point of that limitation? Is the system really that overwhelmed by search requests that you need to limit it? Or was that just a default setting that site admins can change?

Sorry Yuke, but DMD can put the best state-of-the-art search functionality in the world and it isn't going to help if you can't spell.

How does one search for a Yukon post anyway :D

894071[/snapback]

whatch

ill serch all posts for momotard.........................

all get it PUDDY :D:D

Just tried to find that thread where we were discussing a homemade mp3 player...

But can I do a search on "mp3"?  No no... of course not.  :D

897379[/snapback]

Try mp3*