[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RBBC in Tennessee?

spain

Thursday, 07/21/05

Titans go for two now, but only one will emerge

Commentary by DAVID CLIMER

Senior Writer

Right now, they're saying all the right things. "We are going to have to come together and work as a team," said Travis Henry.

"Anyone who helps us win, I am down with that," said Chris Brown.

"I wouldn't be surprised if they both had similar snaps and similar carries, which means you're talking about somewhere around 200 carries each," said Jeff Fisher.

Yes, it sounds good — at a press conference.

And it looks good — on paper.

But in the cold, hard reality of the NFL, the idea of keeping two running backs happy by sharing the workload equally is a pipe dream. These are prideful players with big ambitions and matching egos.

That's why all this feel-good buzz about Henry and Brown peacefully coexisting in the Titans' backfield is nothing more than window dressing. Maybe the team is just wanting to keep everything happy and upbeat until Pacman Jones' next court appearance.

This isn't college football, where promises that are made during recruiting can influence playing time. Neither Henry nor Brown has been assured a certain number of carries per game.

And unlike college ball, where a dominant team can play keep-away and run

80 plays in a game, the NFL affords fewer opportunities. Last year, the average in the NFL was 62.3 offensive snaps per game.

Too, something tells me that the Titans aren't going to take the ball completely out of Steve McNair's hands just to appease two running backs. This is still McNair's offense. They're not going to pass on the pass.

No, at some point along the way, either Henry or Brown is going to be identified as the No. 1 back. It could happen in training camp. It could happen in preseason games. It could happen in the opener at Pittsburgh. But it's going to happen.

Barring injury, one back will get the majority of the carries, particularly at crunch time in the fourth quarter. It's just the way things work in the NFL.

Consider what happened in the NFL last season. Nine backs carried the ball 300 times. Another 15 had at least 200 carries. That means three-quarters of the teams had a primary back who carried the load.

The only teams that truly tried to balance out carries between two backs were St. Louis (Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson) and Miami (Sammy Morris and Travis Minor). Otherwise, teams had a clear No. 1 running back and another as a situational player.

Certainly, both Henry and Brown can have significant input to the offense. They have distinctively different running styles — the low-riding, power-bursting Henry and the upright, gliding Brown — giving new offensive coordinator Norm Chow interesting options.

"We've got a lot of different packages ahead of us," Fisher said. "We will work those things out."

The trick is to find a way to get each player into the game without disrupting the flow. Henry is a back that needs a certain number of carries to get into a rhythm. When healthy, Brown has proven he can be an every-down back.

They're starting out on equal footing.

But at some point, the huddle won't be big enough for both of them. •

Henry has grip on future

Ex-Vol carries Steckel's advice with him to Titans

By PAUL KUHARSKY

Staff Writer

When Travis Henry fumbled in four consecutive games early in the 2002 season for the Buffalo Bills, Les Steckel went to work on the running back's mind-set and technique.

Henry was in the habit of using his middle finger to cover the point of the ball when he had it tucked away.

Steckel, a former Titans offensive coordinator who was Buffalo's running backs coach at the time, believed a back should cover the point with his index finger.

Henry made the alteration and the fumbles decreased.

Yesterday, when he was finally introduced as the newest member of the Tennessee Titans, Henry said Steckel's lessons will be with him the rest of his career.

"Les Steckel just emphasized ball security so much, I was scared to let go of that ball. He had us that afraid of what he was going to do if we fumbled," Henry said. "Les told me all the time, when the journey is over just let it be over. A lot of my fumbles came from me trying to get that extra yard, break that extra tackle and not securing the ball. Once I realized that, I really didn't have a problem."

Hardly known as a fumbler now, Henry comes to the Titans with two seasons of more than 1,300 yards on his résumé and a reputation for being exceptionally tough.

He passed a physical yesterday, then donned a sharp blue suit to meet the media and show off his new No. 20 Titans jersey.

The University of Tennessee's all-time leading rusher said the torn ligaments in his right ankle that cost him five games at the end of last season are fully healed.

"I'm thrilled to be able to come back here and end my career," Henry said. "I am ready to go. I am in football shape."

Three NFL teams have two backs who gained more than 1,000 yards in an NFL season, but only the Titans' tandem of Chris Brown and Henry are 26 or younger.

The upright, gliding Brown rushed for 1,067 yards in 11 games last season — his second in the NFL — averaging 4.9 yards per carry. The hard-nosed Henry rushed for 1,438 yards in 2002, his second and best NFL season so far, averaging 4.4 yards per carry.

Titans GM Floyd Reese said the presence of Brown and Henry will influence almost every offensive down and be beneficial for quarterback Steve McNair.

"I think it will help the passing game," Reese said. "There probably won't be a snap on the field you don't have to worry about the run, and Steve will appreciate that, and I think the receivers will, too."

McNair says it "gives us a lot of versatility in our schemes because they do different things well."

Coach Jeff Fisher said the division of labor for Brown and Henry will be fluid. Fisher indicated he wants to rotate them like he does the defensive line, keeping the freshest player on the field.

He said offensive coordinator Norm Chow will be conscious of allowing the backs to get into a rhythm, but he wouldn't be surprised if Brown and Henry wound up with carry totals of about 200.

As for putting Brown and Henry on the field at the same time, Fisher said it's "always a possibility," but that "somebody is going to have to lead block if you run it unless you really dress up a formation."

Clearly, the Titans won't have either back do much lead blocking.

Brown said he will "respect whatever decision Coach Fisher makes" in regards to carries, and pointed out that he played in a multi-back system as a sophomore at the University of Colorado.

"We had four quality running backs that all got carries, and it went great," Brown said. "We were all on the same page trying to win football games and we didn't have any problems."

Henry said he feels his forte is getting tough inside yards and he's a good pass catcher who was not used much in that capacity during four seasons with the Bills. He said learning his new team's pass plays, including running back responsibilities in protection schemes, will be his biggest challenge early.

The Titans acquired Henry from the Bills for a third-round pick. Then on Tuesday the Titans and Henry agreed to a new contract that extends through 2009.

Henry, a No. 2 pick by the Bills in 2001, held back for a second when asked about his trade value, but Reese told him to be candid.

"A first rounder, most definitely," Henry said. •

Paul Kuharsky covers the Titans and the NFL for The Tennessean. Reach him at pkuharsky@tennessean.com or 259-8024.

Henry wanted out of Buffalo because he was not content to play behind Willis McGahee, but yesterday he said he's willing to take on whatever role the Titans see fit and that contract incentives won't factor into his attitude.

"With me and Chris in the backfield, I think we can cause confusion for any defense in the NFL," he said.

And what if the Bills had not traded him and the start of training camp rolled around?

I think that Henry was a tremendous addition to the Titans and was an absolute steal for a 3rd round pick. Brown is a very talented young back but has some pretty serious durability issues. With Henry to take some of the carries, and back up Brown in the event of injury, the Titans shored up their rb corps! And both of them are young rb's with not alot of tread on the tires. As far as the rbbc, we will need to monitor the situation very closely in camp to see what sort of mix they plan to use. I think it is Browns job and he will get about 60-70% of the carries with Henry getting about 30-40%...

It's still gonna be enough of a point to where your gonna want to try to draft both players if you draft one. So say to take Brown in the 3rd, your gonna have to look for Henry in the 4th or 5th because someone with RB needs will take him off the board. And if you make a play for Henry your gonna have to take him in a spot where you would normally grab your #2 WR or your starting QB not named Manning or Culpeper.

I dunno. I still hate the situation but it is something that I or you might find ourselves in during one of our drafts.

It's still gonna be enough of a point to where your gonna want to try to draft both players if you draft one. So say to take Brown in the 3rd, your gonna have to look for Henry in the 4th or 5th because someone with RB needs will take him off the board. And if you make a play for Henry your gonna have to take him in a spot where you would normally grab your #2 WR or your starting QB not named Manning or Culpeper.

I dunno. I still hate the situation but it is something that I or you might find ourselves in during one of our drafts.

888084[/snapback]

I agree 100% with this assessment...

888084[/snapback]

Just make sure you take Henry first

Handcuff City, baby.

I think Brown will open as the starter. He's been in the system and WHEN HE IS HEALTHY (a topic that has been beaten like no other) he is an effective and dangerous RB. I don't think I am reaching when I say Brown won't play in all 16 games. I doubt he'll get 12 in. So Henry is an excellent choice to replace him and spell Brown. A tough runner who weorks inside the tackles, he compliments Brown's speed. Could even make a nice change of pace back. Time will tell how the percentages shake out.

At some point this year I expect Henry to be the man in Tennessee. Thus, handcuffs and RBBC IMO.

Handcuff City, baby.

I think Brown will open as the starter. He's been in the system and WHEN HE IS HEALTHY (

888135[/snapback]

Actually, Norm Chow is bringing in a new system...

Actually, Norm Chow is bringing in a new system...

888362[/snapback]

Maybe he can straighten it out. But historically, when you have two starting RBs and only one spot...

Three NFL teams have two backs who gained more than 1,000 yards in an NFL season, but only the Titans' tandem of Chris Brown and Henry are 26 or younger.

888078[/snapback]

Edgerrin James is 26. So is Dominic Rhodes. Both have gained over 1000 yards in a season. Nice research.

for me Norm Chow makes Titan players interesting to me, that guy has a way with making offenses dangerous. Does that translate to the NFL???? I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I will likely be looking at brown/henry and other tenn players because of Chow more than anything else. If the price is right they could be steals. If the price is right! with all the RBBC talk and McNair not being like he used to be and Mason leaving I think there will be some real bargains in Tenn Titans players. JMO :D

With the way teams are going to be throwing on the Titans this year I imagine the Titans offense will be abandoning the run pretty early trying to keep up.

888427[/snapback]

I disagree. The Titans defense is going to give up ALOT of points! The answer for a bad defense, is to keep the ball away from the other teams offense. i think the titans are going to try to grind the clock out as much as possible. Now they have 2 good rb's to pound the ball at the other team, and use up the clock. The less the Titans defense is on the field, the better. so, why not kill the clock with alot of runs and short passes?

Of course, once they fall behind by 2 touchdowns, this theory goes out the window...

Of course, once they fall behind by 2 touchdowns, this theory goes out the window...

888443[/snapback]

I expect they will fall behind by two or more though. Their secondary is in a world of hurt. I imagine they will be looking alot like GB last year who forgot A Green was even on the team. Granted, Fisher is a much better coach than Sherman, so maybe there is hope.

888084[/snapback]

With this situation, Brown and Henry might be the perfect 3rd and fourth round picks to accompany manning. There is a productive situation there, it's just one that will be tough to figure out. An early Manning selection, followed by a stephen jackson/lamont jordan/brian westbrook type RB, followed by Chris Brown and Travis Henry (if you can get them that late) sounds like a solid start to a team. The risk factor in drafting one of those 2, or having to spend 2 early round picks to get both actually compliments the Manning selection really well IMHO.

With this situation, Brown and Henry might be the perfect 3rd and fourth round picks to accompany manning.  There is a productive situation there, it's just one that will be tough to figure out.  An early Manning selection, followed by a stephen jackson/lamont jordan/brian westbrook type RB, followed by Chris Brown and Travis Henry (if you can get them that late) sounds like a solid start to a team.  The risk factor in drafting one of those 2, or having to spend 2 early round picks to get both actually compliments the Manning selection really well IMHO.

888533[/snapback]

this seems like a bad plan. you're throwing away a top pick and if they end up sharing carries 60/40 or 70/30, which is a definite possibility, you will basically get screwed.

From KFFL:

"Titans | Fisher Says RBs Likely to Split Carries

Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:36:21 -0700

Teresa M. Walker, of the Associated Press, reports Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher said he plans on playing both RBs Travis Henry and Chris Brown and wouldn't be surprised if both finished 2005 with a similar number of rushes. He plans to rotate the backs in new offensive coordinator Norm Chow's offense. Fisher also isn't worried about keeping both backs happy. "What I'm worried about is winning games," Fisher said. "I know that's first and foremost in Travis' mind and it's first and foremost in Chris' mind. We win games, everybody's healthy and happy. They're both going to play.""

I see them splitting carries until Brown is hurt then Henry taking over from there....Neither of these guy has #1 RB value now, and very low #2 RB value.

Edited by Pancake

Guest THEbigred
Edgerrin James is 26. So is Dominic Rhodes.  Both have gained over 1000 yards in a season.  Nice research.

888408[/snapback]

lol

And lol @ drafting either of these 2 this year.

I think that Henry was a tremendous addition to the Titans and was an absolute steal for a 3rd round pick. 

888081[/snapback]

I agree that Henry is a steal for a 3rd round pick. Another trade for a 3rd pick in the past comes to mind. The Steelers got Bettis for a 3rd round pick. I think this trade could end up being as good as that one once Henry starts to get the bulk of the carries.

To play it safe I agree with handcuffing the 2 Titans RB's. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I'd rather be the guy that grabs Henry away from the Brown onwer than having both. Steal Henry and wait, having both just seems like a waste to me.

Henry is tough as hell but he is smallish and can struggle in short yardage so consider that when drafting either especially if Brown excels in that area. MacGahee does and that led to Henry's downward trend in Buffalo.

I don't know my injuries well enough, i admit. Just seems like when knees, foot, ligaments go bad, so does the career. Henry is damaged goods to me. Buffalo lets go of him for a reason. Why would they not keep a 1.25 mill backup to McGahee, that injury McGahee had makes me cringe to this day.

is BUF just ridding of there damaged goods? is BUF simply answering Henry's request? i dunno

I just don't know if it's safe to assume Henry is fully healed. of course he's gonna say he's 100%, cause it's payday. then you have TEN who is going to say whatever to keep the media from finding dirt. Of course TEN is going to say that newly acquired Henry is going to get 200 carries. Will that happen, i don't think so.

i think this is Brown's job, look at his stats while healthy and you have top-10 maybe top-5. but his injuries are staggering so TEN has to do something along these lines.

need to look at the contract to see exactly what the Titans prob have planned. I read Henry makes 1.25 this year, then there's a big 4 million option bonus next spring!!! if he gets past this 4 mill bonus??? he would make 2.4 for backup #s and 3+ for starter #s. This looks like nothing more than Chris Brown insurance cause the big question does Henry get past the 4 mill bonus?

i'm a Brown owner, so I'm taking serious interest. The things I really worry is short-yardage, passing downs, and goalline... all these things have Henry drooling