[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TO compares himself to Jesus

1stimer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WEAK, WEAK, WEAK!!

T.O. never claimed to be Jesus.  I hate the media and I hate all you fools!!!!

889468[/snapback]

I agree with this as well he was just making a statement that had a message of him not caring about what the people think of him because the people aren't always right which is a fair statement. :D

What a blasphemous pig!

888221[/snapback]

What was blasphemous about what he said? If anything, it was respectful. It's the headline and tone of the article that gave you that impression.

I would like to personally punch TO in the face. For those who live outside of the Philadelphia area, this TO story is interesting. For those of us that have to hear it every day, it is getting old. I would like to recall my initial statement actualy.... I would LOVE to puch Drew Rosenhaus in the face repeatedly until it looks like a throbbing mound of roadkill. Then I would slap TO like a little girl dog. Whether TO comes to camp, or plays this season at all, the damage has been done and it is going to be a rocky season.

888247[/snapback]

Why do you even care?

I've seen enough of TO over the years to decide a few things: He's a great receiver, but not as good as he thinks he is and he comes across as a real jerk. He's very self-centered and not very bright. I also think he's gayer than Jeff Garcia.

I get tired of people blaming agents, too. Yeah, a lot of them are scum bags. The players can control their agents, they just chose not to.

Guest THEbigred
:D Are you freaking serious? You do realize you don't actually KNOW T.O., right? You understand it's Lurie's money he wants, not yours, right?

I just don't get how people like Scourge here get so riled up about this situation. T.O. is worth more than he's getting paid. And if you don't understand holdouts, then you just don't understand the NFL CBA.

888444[/snapback]

Brain dead or attention w hore? You make the call.

Although you have to admit Owens is amazing in a way. Just when you think he couldn't possibly say or do something even stupider than before.......

True, the similarly slimy media is overblowing it and twisting it some, but it was still an unbelievably stupid thing to say, and yes, he obviously WAS comparing himself to Jesus in a way. Nobody is saying he claimed to be the 2d coming. But that's only the half of it, actually, and it's not all about "blasphemy." The comparison itself was invalid to the point of asinine. Actually it would have to make an awful lot of improvement to work its way up to simply asinine. Impossible as it seemed before, this is even more ridiculous than the "I gotta feed my kids" dribblings. The guy pisses and moans about anything and everything goes out of his way to be an obnoxious ass, screws up his free agency but the NFL lets him break the rules so he can go wherever he wants, he gets a contract he loves.....OOPS now he hates it....and it goes on and on and on and on AND on.....yet the NFL, media, and a disgusting percentage of fans just smile an insipid smile and let him, because, by golly, he sure can catch, and who cares about anything else? Yknow like that old cliche crap people used to care about like sportsmanship, maturity, class, role model influence, etc etc. pfffff....old hat, who cares. And that's the really sad part: how many people don't care. Unreal - completely unreal.

Anyone who doesn't see what's wrong with both his attitude (never mind the extremeness of it) and worse, the tolerance of it, has to be absolutely comatose. These are probably the same people who let their kids yell and scream and be general brats in public places and don't think a thing of it.

I've never heard of "professional" ball player practically screaming for someone to kick the living sh*t out of him as much as this bonehead. Anyone have Ray Lewis' number?

[/rant]

Edited by THEbigred

1 - T.O. was paid about $9.2 M last year. Did he out-perform that money? The

$3.25M he will make this year is for this season right? IMO he was paid very

fair for last season. If he "out-performs" the $3.25 this season then I can see

him wanting a little more.

2 - I just heard on Comcast Sports Net in Philly that if T.O. doesn't report by

8/1/05, the Eagles can take back $2M of his signing bonus plus fine him

$9600 a day. If his family needs the money so bad how can he give up $2M+?

3 - T.O. has said the Eagles can trade him or release him. He said Atlanta would

be a good fit for him. The Eagles would never release him and I doubt they

would trade him to a team he wants to go to. They hold all the leverage here.

Does T.O. realize the Eagles could just keep taking money back and have him

sit for the next 6 years?

Guest THEbigred
Does T.O. realize the Eagles could just keep taking money back and have him sit for the next 6 years?

889725[/snapback]

Oh what a wonderful dream........although that's all it is.....

I am a season ticket holder for the Eagles. Therefore I have a right to compain about anything I want since my money is in part what is going to pay for anything the organization spends money on, including player contracts.

888521[/snapback]

Sure, you can complain and that complaint can be in disagreement with my thoughts. That IS your right. I'm just a little surprised at your apparently real desire to inflict physical harm on someone you don't even know, just because he's trying to get more money from one of the wealthiest men in the sports world -- Jeff Lurie. That's a little excessive.

Second, you know Owens just signed his contract last year right? Do you realize that in NFL contracts, the second year is always a low-paying year to the player the way contracts are structured? Do you know how much Peyton Manning is getting paid this season? If not, look it up and you will be suprized to see that figure.

By the way, Peyton Manning is making $665,000 this season.

888521[/snapback]

I'm not so sure Manning's contract is the norm. In fact, if I remember correctly, I heard it was structured very uniquely to give him an insane amount of money while still lowering his cap figure. If you can prove that "the second year is always a low-paying year", I'll be surprised, but I'll certainly invite the opportunity.

Owens only played one year of his seven year contract so far, and looking at the numbers over the first three years of the contract will be paid an average of $7 a year which is the third highest in the NFL behind Moss and Harrison.

888521[/snapback]

So you're taking T.O.'s bonus into account, but not Moss's or Harrison's? :D Google "Torry Holt contract" or "Marvin Harrison contract". Same with Moss or Chad Johnson. If you include their signing bonuses, you'll notice that T.O. makes less than all of them.

All this considered, have you ever heard of a player signing a contract and then holding out the following year? That is rediculous. What happened is, Rosenhaus got in his ear and told him he was worth more, TO believed he could get him more, he was wrong. He is salty that he is only, ONLY, making 3.25 million this season in guaranteed money. And like I said, that is normal for the second year of any contract.

888521[/snapback]

No, I can't remember a player holding out after the first year of a contract. But I also can't remember any situation like T.O.'s last year. I've said it before: the Eagles, because they're very savvy with their roster, took advantage of T.O.'s desperate situation and gave him less than fair market value. Even though the NFLPA itself said the contract sucked, I don't fault the Eagles for that. They didn't know what they were getting with T.O. when they traded for him. However, I believe he proved his worth on and off the field last year, which, to me, justifies some sort of a pay increase. Nothing major -- just enough to put him in the same ballpark as his peers.

I understand holdouts, I do not understand what makes TO think he can do so to restructure his contract after one year of signing it. 

888521[/snapback]

He believes he did everything he could last year to help the team, including risking his career to play (WELL) in the SuperBowl. He was a consummate pro all year and now his bosses are pretty much dogging him. He's not completely free of blame; he hasn't handled the situation very well. But I can certainly understand why he thinks he's worth more money.

If TO holds out for the season, he does not get paid and is still held to the Eagles under his 2005 contract for 2006, so I am sure he will join the team at some point. but, he is rediculous and needs to be slapped around. Why shouldn't I be the one to do it?

888521[/snapback]

Well, first of all, he'd probably snap you like a twig if you tried. Other than that, see above. :D

Jesus has never held out for a bigger contract, although it appears that he has told several football players to do so.

888864[/snapback]

There was no salary cap when Jesus was around.

If there was, I bet he would have missed a training camp or two.

TO signed a contract LAST YEAR based on his market value.

the four years before this contract, his numbers were:

1451 / 13

1412 / 16

1300 / 13

1102 / 9

that was the level of performance he signed the contract based on. last year he had 1200 / 14...which is actually his second-lowest production in the last 5 seasons.

so how can you say he outperformed his contract so drastically that it needs to be torn up?

what's really going on here is that the contract he signed, like so many in the NFL these days, has a big bonus the first year then a much smaller salary the second year. TO's trying to have it both ways...take the front-loaded money, then get a new load of up-front money in the year he agreed to take less. it really isn't defensible on any level.

1451 / 13

1412 / 16

1300 / 13

1102 / 9

that was the level of performance he signed the contract based on.  last year he had 1200 / 14...which is actually his second-lowest production in the last 5 seasons. 

so how can you say he outperformed his contract so drastically that it needs to be torn up?

what's really going on here is that the contract he signed, like so many in the NFL these days, has a big bonus the first year then a much smaller salary the second year.  TO's trying to have it both ways...take the front-loaded money, then get a new load of up-front money in the year he agreed to take less.  it really isn't defensible on any level.

890555[/snapback]

That's all irrelevant. Once again, FAIR MARKET VALUE. He should be getting Holt/Moss/Harrison/C. Johnson money and he's not. That's the only problem with his contract.

No one is suggesting his contract be "torn up" -- not even Rosenhaus. I'm sure if they threw a $3 million dollar bonus at him, everything would be fine. That would put his bonus money at least close to his peers.

That's all irrelevant. Once again, FAIR MARKET VALUE. He should be getting Holt/Moss/Harrison/C. Johnson money and he's not. That's the only problem with his contract.

No one is suggesting his contract be "torn up" -- not even Rosenhaus. I'm sure if they threw a $3 million dollar bonus at him, everything would be fine. That would put his bonus money at least close to his peers.

890700[/snapback]

you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.. But, I unfortunately have much less time than you do obviously to argue your rediculous point. The bottom line is this:

1. T.O. signed a contract last year.

2. He is choosing not to honor that contract.

3. He has NO leverage and essentialy has 2 choices.. play and get the money he signed up for, or don't play and rot away.

He is not entitled to anything else whether his "fair market" value is higher or not. He signed the deal, now he has to abide by the rules. if it was 3 or 4 years into his contract, it would be a different story.

And by the way, next year he would be getting a roster bonus of something like $9 million. Add that to his salary and he is making more than all those other recievers you mentioned next season. But, because of this debachle, he most likely will shunned by the majority of the rest of the league. So, this move will ultimately hurt his overall value.

That's all irrelevant. Once again, FAIR MARKET VALUE.

890700[/snapback]

FAIR MARKET VALUE is what he signed his contract for last year when he was a free agent. and the way they structured the FAIR MARKET VALUE spread out over 6 years was to give a big lump sum in the first year, then scale it down in the second year, etc. what did he make last year with his $10 million bonus? if you're going to break it down on a year by year basis and compare it to other WR's salaries on a year by year basis, then last year he made way MORE than FAIR MARKET VALUE. but he's not offering to give any of that back, is he?

FAIR MARKET VALUE is what he signed his contract for last year when he was a free agent.  and the way they structured the FAIR MARKET VALUE spread out over 6 years was to give a big lump sum in the first year, then scale it down in the second year, etc.  what did he make last year with his $10 million bonus?  if you're going to break it down on a year by year basis and compare it to other WR's salaries on a year by year basis, then last year he made way MORE than FAIR MARKET VALUE.  but he's not offering to give any of that back, is he?

890991[/snapback]

No -- I'm including the other WRs' signing bonuses as well. Look it up if you want. They're not even close.

I'm not following you, Swiss. I found this info on contracts.

Derrick Mason — Five years, $20 million, $7 million SB (signed in February 2005)

Chad Johnson — Five years, $25 million, $10.5 million-$12 million SB (Nov. 13, 2003)

Joe Horn — Six years, $42 million, $8 million in bonuses (May 2005)

Torry Holt — Seven years, $42 million, $12.5 million SB (July 18, 2003)

Muhsin Muhammad — Six years, $30 million, $10 million SB (February 2005)

Laveranues Coles — Five years, $35 million, $13 million SB (March 2003)

Javon Walker — Six years, $9.5 million, $3 million SB (July 23, 2002)

Isaac Bruce — Seven years, $42 million, $7 million SB (2000)

Eric Moulds — Six years, $40 million, $12.5 million SB (January 2001)

Darrell Jackson — Six years, $25 million, $8 million SB (March 8, 2004)

Marvin Harrison — Seven years, $67 million, $13 million bonuses (November 2004)

Terrell Owens — Seven years, $48 million, $8.5 million SB (March 2004)

Thre's a lot of big names making 5-7 mil/season including bonuses. I don't see how Owens is so horribly underpaid compared to them. His 7+/yr is second only to Harrison. And I doubt Harrison sees all that money since he'd be about 38 at the end of that contract.

I'm not following you, Swiss.  I found this info on contracts.

Thre's a lot of big names making 5-7 mil/season including bonuses.  I don't see how Owens is so horribly underpaid compared to them.   His 7+/yr is second only to Harrison.  And I doubt Harrison sees all that money since he'd be about 38 at the end of that contract.

891377[/snapback]

The total of the contract ($48M) doesn't matter at all. The only way to compare the player contracts is to look at the first two years, plus the signing bonus.

So, apparently, we're interpreting the same data two different ways. In the order of signing bonuses, T.O. falls behind Harrison, Holt, C. Johnson, Muhammad, Coles, Moulds, and Moss.

Without doing a whole lot MORE research, I can't tell you what each of those players make/made in the 1st and 2nd years as a base salary, but I'd be willing to bet the number is higher that T.O.'s in all cases (possible exception being Johnson).

Plus, if T.O. really WERE making fair market value, I have to believe the NFLPA wouldn't have had a problem with the contract last year. They did.

Furthermore, why would T.O. hold out if he were being paid in accordance with his peers? It wouldn't make sense. Never has he said "I want to be the highest-paid WR in the game" or "I want a whole new contract".

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

1451 / 13

1412 / 16

1300 / 13

1102 / 9

that was the level of performance he signed the contract based on.  last year he had 1200 / 14...which is actually his second-lowest production in the last 5 seasons. 

what's really going on here is that the contract he signed, like so many in the NFL these days, has a big bonus the first year then a much smaller salary the second year.  TO's trying to have it both ways...take the front-loaded money, then get a new load of up-front money in the year he agreed to take less.  it really isn't defensible on any level.

890555[/snapback]

890700[/snapback]

Swiss, having biblically known Az in the Tailgate for the last few years, I must tell you he is a liberal communist who does not believe in the free market. He favors price controls for a plethora of career paths such as lawyers, military personnel, steel workers and; apparently, football players. Now he's all for a free market when it comes to employees of the DoJ or whoever Ashcroft signs checks for.

Quit wasting yer time.

Edited by Clubfoothead

Swiss, having biblically known Az in the Tailgate for the last few years, I must tell you he is a liberal communist who does not believe in the free market.  He favors price controls for a plethora of career paths such as lawyers, military personnel, steel workers and; apparently, football players.  Now he's all for a free market when it comes to employees of the DoJ or whoever Ashcroft signs checks for. 

Quit wasting yer time.

891390[/snapback]

:D

You may be right, but whenever Az and I disagree on something like this, the debate is always worth my time.