[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL Opening Day--Sept 11

Chief Dick

8 hours ago, blaw23 said:

Should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago since I have to fly to Chicago in the morning but I couldn't help but read the whole thread.

I went through and read quite a bit yesterday and today. You can tell this is an old thread, since somehow everyone's emoticons have converted to smiling ones, dancing pickles, and the like. :lol:

I can promise you those weren't there when those posts were written. I wonder if Big John can remove some of those. Obviously in board conversions something probably happened to the code associated with those.

Edited by Chief Dick

2 hours ago, Chief Dick said:

I went through and read quite a bit yesterday and today. You can tell this is an old thread, since somehow everyone's emoticons have converted to smiling ones, dancing pickles, and the like. :lol:

I can promise you those weren't there when those posts were written. I wonder if Big John can remove some of those. Obviously in board conversions something probably happened to the code associated with those.

i assume the :D and :wacko: mean :usa: ?

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Never Forget - it was almost 20 years ago now but still recall it clearly. 

I just went back and read some of the posts on the first couple of pages, those from the people in NYC or with family/friends there were bone chilling as ever. Chief's post about the reception they gave the Giants team as it came on the field was awesome.

And these were written 14 years ago, nearly 4 years after the event. 

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, DMD said:

Tomorrow will be 19 years - hard to think it has been that long ago.

Goodness gracious, 19 years?? Geez I am getting old.  Unreal that is hasn't been mentioned. Americans have such a short memory. God bless America.

15 hours ago, rajncajn said:

As much as I hate to be cynical, I'll bet that we go through the entire weekend with it hardly being mentioned. I hope I'm wrong.

If there were games being played on 9/11 no way it goes unmentioned.

Mostly it will go unmentioned because they will too busy showing us all the social justice stuff that is now part of most major sports. (I don't see it in NHL, or the auto/motorcycle road racing that I follow.) I get that there is change that needs to be made, but many of us watch sports (and other stuff on TV, or go to movies, concerts, etc) to get away from daily life and its headaches, not to be bombarded by this stuff. It is another benefit to watching things recorded earlier, or even on a delay where I can skip stuff I don't care about, which can include the ramblings of announcers or pre/mid/post game analysis. 

NEVER FORGET  

A friend texted me this morning saying he was glad we visited the Flight 93 memorial in PA some years ago on a motorcycle trip. (We were in the area to go to Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water and decided to visit the memorial in the afternoon.) iI was just before they finished the current setup and sounded like that would add even more dramatic affect to it. Will need to make a trip there again, maybe before next year's 20 year anniversary.