[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benson or Brown

Steelhead

I'm in a 2 player keeper keeper league (you can take a rookie keeper and lose that draft pick next year). I currently have Marvin Harrison and Ahman Green and pick 11th in a serpentine draft since I lost in the Superbowl. Jamal Lewis, Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Lamont Jordan, Westbrook will probably be gone by my pick, and I think Benson or Brown might be a better bet than Westbrook or a Chris Brown anyway. I am thinking of drafting Ronnie Brown or Cedric Benson with either my 1st Rd pick or 2nd (14th overall) on the serpentine. Who do you think would be a better gamble?

Here are the keepers in the league by team:

Corey Dillon Byron Leftwich Eli Manning

Deuce McAllister Rudi Johnson Julius Jones

Edgerrin James Domanick Davis Steven Jackson

Terrell Owens Dante Culpepper

Ladanian Tomlinson Reggie Wayne

Brett Favre Lee Suggs

Clinton Portis Shaun Alexander Michael Clayton

Peyton Manning Randy Moss

Donovan McNabb Priest Holmes

Willis McGahee Kevin Jones

Andre Johnson Roy Williams Larry Fitzgerald

Ahman Green Marvin Harrison

Edited by Steelhead

Honestly I think that with those two it is a toss up. i am not a huge Benson fan. I have said it in all the posts asking about advice concerning the rookie RB's.

Ronnie Brown will be the man for the first four games. I just don't know how much of an impact Ricky Williams will have.

Thomas Jones in Chicago will be the third down back at the very least. Benson has not been installed as the starter like some of the other rookies. If he misses much camp at all he will take much longer to get significant touches, because Jones was pretty good until there was no QB.

I am a huge fan of Cadillac. I think that he will be the best RB out of this draft. Arrington will alos get the bulk of the carries in ARIZ, and I don't know what Kurt Warner will show up to play.

I was planning on drafting Benson, but didn't think about Cadillac Williams. Do you think he's poised for a better season and more impotantly a better long-term situation. Green isgetting old and I'm hoping to replace him with Benson/Brown/Williams

I like Benson better. He carried the load on a top team for a bunch of years, so you know what he can do. Brown played well, but wasn't the feature guy and did well in workouts to push him up as the top RB. Benson has shown his worth on the field.

898855[/snapback]

Yea, look at their new offensive coordinator: Turner. He is a ball-control freak and he loves a power running game. He wanted someone who could carry a load. Benson has proved that time after time. He is a workhorse and never gets slowed down by injuries. He will be a stud once he gets adjusted and the O-line proves itself.

I was planning on drafting Benson, but didn't think about Cadillac Williams.  Do you think he's poised for a better season and more impotantly a better long-term situation.  Green isgetting old and I'm hoping to replace him with Benson/Brown/Williams

898901[/snapback]

Everyone is talking about how good Benson will be, I have heard it before about RB's in Chicago. They don't have the people in place for Benson to be successful for a couple of years.

Williams I have said in my opinion is the RB to take in this draft. Jon Gruden fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl. Gruden was never a Pittman fan and he is the next best option. Williams has been solid at Auburn, he has the speed, hands to catch out of the backfield, and can run over people when the need is there. I have said it and will say it again, Cadillac is the RB to take and plug in for the next 10 years.

I like Benson better. He carried the load on a top team for a bunch of years, so you know what he can do. Brown played well, but wasn't the feature guy and did well in workouts to push him up as the top RB. Benson has shown his worth on the field.

898855[/snapback]

Now, if you include Williams, then he is my pick without a doubt. He has the all around skills and the most ability to be the best NFL back.

Does history indicate that the 2 (or 3) top rookie RBs are still available at 1.11? It seems to me that they are going to go first since you get an extra keeper out of them. We keep 7, which is a lot more, but those 2 will go 1, 2 (maybe one slides to 3) in our draft. I'd take either of them over at least half that list of RBs you mentioned that you thought would be gone at 1.11.

First off its only fair to tell you that I am a Bears fan, and with that going into the draft I while there was a lot of talk of the Bears getting a reciever, I thought Benson was the best over all pick. Recievers end up being a crap shoot, and this years Qbs looked the same, how ever Benson had proven himself time and time again, unlike the other RBs who didnt carry the entire work load. And with any RB coming out of college there is always the question if he can make it thru and entire season. Benson being the feature back shows the most promise when compaired to the others who split carries. One of the down sides is that people question if Benson could be worn out from his college workload. Anyway one of Benson most impressive stats that gives me faith is that Benson gained 3,108 yards of his 5,540 career rushing yards (56%) after contact. The school records he didnt break belong to Ricky Williams so as long as Cedric doesnt want to travel the world and and take a year of football off he should be fine. Also the new Offensive coordinater likes to concentrate on the run so he will get the carries and with the addition of the Moose that should free up the box and spread out the defense a little, not much but it wont hurt. The offensive line was "upgraded" with free agents but I feel that is the part of this whole equation that is a result of my biased faith in the Bears. I could follow up with some info on Brown but im sure other people will get to that anyway. Good Luck

p.s Walter Payton and Gale Sayers were both taken with the 4th over all picks in the draft

Does history indicate that the 2 (or 3) top rookie RBs are still available at 1.11?  It seems to me that they are going to go first since you get an extra keeper out of them.  We keep 7, which is a lot more, but those 2 will go 1, 2 (maybe one slides to 3) in our draft.  I'd take either of them over at least half that list of RBs you mentioned that you thought would be gone at 1.11.

899379[/snapback]

Based on the history of my league I expect to see all 3 Benson, Brown, and Williams there at 1.11. The guys before me will be picking up WRs and RBs. LT went in the 2nd Rd back when he was a rookie. If they happen to not be then I'll just pick up Arrington.

Does anyone worry about Cadillac's knees?

With two years since Williams knee injury, I'm inclined to think that he has made it through. However, I can understand where it would give you pause.

The more I look at it all, the more I like JJ Arrington. He's fast and elusive. Marcel Schipp is not going to stop him from getting the starting job and with Kurt Warner throwing to Boldin and Fitzgerald, things might actually be looking good in AZ.

Williams I have said in my opinion is the RB to take in this draft.  Jon Gruden fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl.  Gruden was never a Pittman fan and he is the next best option.  Williams has been solid at Auburn, he has the speed, hands to catch out of the backfield, and can run over people when the need is there.  I have said it and will say it again, Cadillac is the RB to take and plug in for the next 10 years.

899035[/snapback]

The only problem with Williams is the Tampa Bay o-line, which is probably at least in the bottom 5 of all NFL teams...might hamper his production just a bit...

The only problem with Williams is the Tampa Bay o-line, which is probably at least in the bottom 5 of all NFL teams...might hamper his production just a bit...

899917[/snapback]

Athough Pittman ran for close to 1000 yds in 13 games behind that line. I guess I go with either Williams or Benson, and I think Williams might be the better pick to reap benefits from over the next couple years.

Honestly I think that with those two it is a toss up.  i am not a huge Benson fan.  I have said it in all the posts asking about advice concerning the rookie RB's. 

Ronnie Brown will be the man for the first four games.  I just don't know how much of an impact Ricky Williams will have.

Thomas Jones in Chicago will be the third down back at the very least.  Benson has not been installed as the starter like some of the other rookies.  If he misses much camp at all he will take much longer to get significant touches, because Jones was pretty good until there was no QB.

I am a huge fan of Cadillac.  I think that he will be the best RB out of this draft.  Arrington will alos get the bulk of the carries in ARIZ, and I don't know what Kurt Warner will show up to play.

898854[/snapback]

I agree that Ricky may take some of Brown's action once he gets back in games.

I would think and do some research on Caddy and JJ. I have a good feeling about JJ this year for some reason. But that and $.50 will buy you coffee at your local gas station (depending on where you live).