[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Date Question

ebartender

One of my leagues has decided to draft on Sept. 10th this year. As you know the season starts on Sept. 8th. Has anyone every been in a league that has conducted a draft after the season started. How has it worked? Personally I hate the idea, especially since it is a keeper league.

I guess my main problem is that most leagues have total points winners for the season. If one of my players in the first game had a huge game and it didn't count because we drafted after that I would be pissed. Especially if I lost the total points by a few points.

I guess my main problem is that most leagues have total points winners for the season.  If one of my players in the first game had a huge game and it didn't count because we drafted after that I would be pissed.  Especially if I lost the total points by a few points.

899742[/snapback]

Count the points. That part is important.

eb,

For the last two years, my local has chosen to conduct its draft on the Saturday of the "first weekend" and the Thursday night opening has caused this to be a sticking point for a few of us.

However, the "few" that this bothers does not form the majority, since a good portion of the league is completely booked on Labor Day weekend, and nobody wants to draft as early as 2 or 3 weeks out.

We have handled it quite simply, actually. You know the results, you draft the player, and you get the points of the guy you select. However, you must start that player the first week if you select them. We play a small IDP lineup as well, and this is what I feel affects the most.

Last year, I believe Daniel Graham had a good first week and he went way earlier as a TE than usual.

With this being said, I don't like drafting after the season opens, even though it is one game, but since my local's commish doesn't seem to care/or doesn't like to make anyone angry with him, I'm sure we will draft once again at the same time, after the Thursday game is played.

Last year...the Miami/Tennessee game was actually being played while we drafted, due to the hurricane that moved the game up a day.

Edited by gilthorp

Last year...the Miami/Tennessee game was actually being played while we drafted, due to the hurricane that moved the game up a day.

899751[/snapback]

Same thing happened with WCOFF draft last year and some wise guy ran around the room telling everyone that Chris Brown tore his ACL. A Smith was promplty drafted by many.

Since it is a keeper league, wouldn't some of the stud palyers already be on teams? (Moss/Dillon/Jordan...)

I would think that would lesson the impact more than a redraft league.

Since it is a keeper league, wouldn't some of the stud palyers already be on teams?  (Moss/Dillon/Jordan...)

I would think that would lesson the impact more than a redraft league.

899810[/snapback]

Yes, I agree but the problem is what about the guys who aren't kept like say Kerry Collins? If Collins has a huge game then whoever doesn't have him gets screwed out of those points. And I don't think you can count the points since then some people have an unfair advantage of being able to draft players who already have played one game. It may not be a big deal since, like you said, most "studs" will be on teams already. I just don't like the idea.

Personally, I've never drafted once the season starts (we even build in extra dates before the season begins in case we miss our original date) and even if I did, my thinking is that one game and one performance does not make the entire season. Its a marathon, not a sprint.