[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moss and Owens with first 2 picks?

Klay

I've always been a big believer in getting my starting running backs first before considering anything alse. But the last 2 years since I've had the last spot in the draft and have been taking a top tier RB and top WR. I really enjoyed putting that top WR in the lineup and never worrying about matchups. So that got me to thinking about this year... I have the 11th spot and was wondering what it would be like to have 2 starting Wideouts that I place in the lineup and never worry about until bye weeks. The thing I noticed about the running backs that I usually get at the 1.12 and 2.1 position is that sometimes they lose there jobs or you end up having a better sleeper pick that starts outperforming them and you have to choose each week anyway. With Moss and Owens or Harrison, besides getting an injury you're never going to have another wide receiver you want to start ahead of them. Plus, this year there are some good RB's you can get in the 3rd and 4th... i.e deshaun foster, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Wilson, tatum bell, Chris Brown etc

Just a thought. Anyone agree? :D

Agree? not a chance.

Let's assume you approach the draft in such a manner. When you get to select again at 3.11 you'll have to be looking at a RB. Now, get your cheatsheet and cross off the top 20 RB's on your list. Whose tops on the RB availability list?

Is that what you want as your #1 RB week in and week out? :D

I will never forget my rookie year at fantasy football. I had the #1 pick. And it allowed me to pick Marvin Harrison and Moulds with my first 2 picks. Although my team was competitive that year I was never able to get any consistancy out of my Running Backs which ultimatly cost me a shot at the playoffs. I will never draft WR WR again. But considering where you are drafting I would think you could get 1 of those recievers and a quality RB with those first 2 picks and go from there. I would think you could get a reciever in the 3rd round that you would not have to worry about either. That's what I would do if I was drafting from scratch.

Gooo BILL's :D

Yeah sounds good, yeah right!!

If you do that your in trouble, a 12 team league too!

I think you are setting yourself up for failure to say the least!

I think you would be better served if you selected the top RB then OK go to WR........that's what I would do if i had your spot but I got problems of my own @ 1:04 overall!

Do so at your own peril. *If* you have some confidence that decent RBs will be available at 3.11 and 4.2, then you could try it. But if you have a poor track record of picking decent RBs in the late 1st round, I have my doubts that you'll be able to pull better starting RBs out with your 3rd and 4th.

I just tried the same two in ten teamer at the first turn in a MOCK draft on Antsports, and we are in round 9, and I don't like my team ! I took 2 LESSER RBs in rounds 3 and 4 (Bell and Jordan), then felt compelled to take 2 more RBs in mid rounds (R. Brown and Taylor ) to cover up for this MISTAKE ! I wouldnt (and won't) draft 2 WRs first , in my real draft (pick 10) :doah:

If you are in a points per reception league, and you get consistant great performances from the 2 WR's you get, You can hang, especially if it is a flex league. You will also need to pick that correct running back who can also catch the ball. And you have to pray that guy falls to you forthe next pick. It can be done You have a shot. The points per reception is the key. Without that it is probably suicide to attempt what you are proposing.

Edited by rattsass

Assuming you are in a league that starts 2 RB and 3 WR I would defintely consdier doing it. In fact there is a full FF theory behind doing that called "doing the opposite. " The reasoning is that Tier 1 WR are more consistant then RB's. Dont believe me? Think about how the owners who drafted Green, Portis or Lewis in the first round or Faulk, Taylor or Henry in the second did with those picks last year. The big 4 receivers all posted double digit td's last year.

It is easier to find a sleeper rb in rounds 3 through 7 then it is a sleepr wr and remember, you need 3 wr's and 2 rbs. last year bettis, mcgahee, martin, johnson, emmitt, dunn, pittman, blaylock and droughs could all have been drafted in most drafts in those rounds last year and all scored 8 or more td. You combine 2 of those with the stud wr's and qb you drafted earlier and you have a team that scares the pants off people.

Jules....gotta disagree with your analysis here. Firstly, point taken on the RB's you listed as being available in later rounds that produced last season. Problem is.....picking the right one(s) AFTER using your first two picks on WR's. I could counter with an owner that drafts RB/RB and then needs to look for WR's that will produce........how about Muhammad, Drew Bennett, Brandon Stokley or even Eddie Kennison. Having 2 stud RB's with any of those wide-outs last year would have scared the pants off people as well. Not on draft day, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.........unfortunately, its not something we as owners can take to the bank.

Main sticking point with me on your view is quantity. In a 12 team league, an owner drafting in the 11th slot who waits till round 3 to draft a RB will have watched, at a minimum, 20 RB's snapped up. Considering we view most NFL teams as having one RB (yeah, yeah exceptions exist, but for the most part) that means only 32 RB's are "available" to draft. With 20 gone, you find yourself choosing from a very limited player pool. And you need 2 to fill the roster, and at least one back-up. Not much room to manuever here.

NFL teams deploy 2 WR's, and with 3 WR sets, owners have 64+ WR's to choose from. Granted all these players aren't Tier 1 like you would get if you drafted WR/WR at the beginning of the draft, but an owner drafting in the 11th slot who chooses to go RB/RB with his first 2 selections will still be able to land a top 10 WR in the 3rd (and possibly) the 4th round of the draft.

The argument of drafting a Tier 1 player from each position at the start of the draft is an interesting concept to me (RB, WR, QB, TE as first 4 picks) since points scored is what this hobby is all about, but depth becoms an issue here. but this isnt what we're discussing here.......its going WR/WR at the start of the draft.

IMO, being that late and near the turn, going RB/RB, then filling WR needs will build a much more solid team than getting two Tier 1 WR's and then having to scramble for the next 6-7 rounds to compensate.

back in 2002 i drafted 12th in a 12 team league and took the same chance you are considering. i took moss and TO with my first two picks and was left with drafting (a then labeled fragile fred taylor coming off a injury the year before) and a 1st time starter named deuce mcallister. i didnt like the way my team ended up after my draft with a big worry at RB. i ended up making the championship that year because freddy stayed healthy and deuce had his monster year, but i also picked up a guy named chad johnson off waivers that year for my 3rd wr. i took a big chance at RB that year and i pick 11th this year and i am not even considering a WR/WR pick. i dont know if this helps but sometimes you can get lucky, but it could have blown up in my face just as fast as making the championship. and i ended up losing it that year.

Fenokee,

I respect your insight.

Certainly a 12 person league would make it tougher to go WR/WR, as would drafting in the swing roll.

A ten man league might change things a bit. Personally and I think drafting 8th in a ten man league would be the best time to do a Wr/WR, with the 8th, 13th, and 28th and 33rd picks. Mocks indicate that could translate into something like a Moss-Owens-Steven Jackson-Westbrook lineup. Again assuming you the lineup calls for 3WR and 2RB.s

Regards,

Jules Winfield

In an 8, or maybe 10 team league, the WR/WR option may be a tad bit easier to swallow due to the depth, but this is a 12 team league (at least) and based my input on that info.

Cheers

Edited by Fenokee

It is easier to find a sleeper rb in rounds 3 through 7 then it is a sleepr wr

901790[/snapback]

You lost me right here. The main reason is, in rounds 3, 4 and maybe even 5 you don't really have to look for "sleeper" WRs because solid, consistently producing WRs can still be had here.(See Fenokee, below)

Problem is.....picking the right one(s)(RBs) AFTER using your first two picks on WR's... an owner drafting in the 11th slot who chooses to go RB/RB with his first 2 selections will still be able to land a top 10 WR in the 3rd (and possibly) the 4th round of the draft.

901910[/snapback]

When you're talking about what could be and basing it on what happened last year, you're at the very least facing a risky proposition. Of course, any draft is a slightly risky proposition. Last year, two individual's drafts in my league went like this:

Team 1 (pretty much what you are proposing)

Moss

Holt

Thomas Jones

Quentin Griffin

Team 2 (my team)

A Green

F Taylor

M Faulk

At that point in the draft, I really like both teams. For him, I really liked Jones and Griffin to be pleasant surprises. After week 1, he looked like FF gold. But as we all know now it didn't work out. For me, I usually draft for balance, I took Faulk in the 3rd because I couldn't pass up the value. But as we all know now it didn't work out.

In retrospect, he took a chance that he's not likely to take again. I strayed from my usual strategy and when my RBs didn't pan out I was also screwed because by putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak I weakened my team at WR and couldn't overcome it.

My take has always been draft for balance, which neither of us did last year, or run a much bigger risk of failure. Now, if you're a risk taker and you really like two RBs you can get that late then I say go for it. Just know that taking risks is just that and it's not what an intelligent gambler does. You may hit the jackpot occasionally doing this but you won't win consistently.

I was in 4 redraft leagues last year, all 12 team leagues. In all 4 leagues, the guy who picked near the end of the 1st round who drafted wr/wr or wr/qb went to the playoffs. 2 of the guys won the superbowl.

The 4 combos were:

Moss/Holt

Manning/Moss

Culpepper/TO

Moss/TO

Of course, the huge impact was that in the 3rd or 4th rounds they were able to pick up Tiki Barber, Curtis Martin, Chris Brown.

I was also reading an article that claimed over the past three years, only 1/2 of the top 12 scoring backs from one season are in the top 12 the next. It also said if you take out the 3 that have made it every year, Priest, Ladanian, and Alexander, it makes it only 3 out of 9.

You can go wrong either way you look at it. But you can do fine with it as well. Its a bit riskier, but just as rewarding. I would think the wr/wr would have more scoring potential at your draft slot, but would likely be a bit more inconsistent as well.

Oh, hell. Why not go WR/WR/WR/RB/RB/RB? You could end up with something like this:

1 - Randy Moss

2 - Terrell Owens

3 - Joe Horn

4 - One of the rookie stud RB's

5 - Larry Johnson

6 - Travis Henry

Then you sit back and watch in amazement as Priest Holmes and Chris Brown get injured in preseason, leaving you with 3 starting RB's for the season. Imagine the stories you could tell the grandkids if you won!