[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

the bassturds stole my camera

Azazello1313

flew from chicago-midway to denver yesterday, and the f'n baggage handlers stole my digital camera right outta one of our checked bags. in this case, i KNOW it was the airline guys, because at midway, with frontier anyway, the TSA station is right there by the ticket counter and you actually have to take your bags over there yourself and hand it to the guy, and i watched him put it through the scanner and onto the belt (i.e., back into the airline's custody). so TSA is off the hook, and i think that gives me a little bit of leverage with the airline. i want some dough, or at the very least a couple vouchers or something. my initial call wasn't too fruitful ("not in our contract, blah blah blah"), but i have a call into the guy's supervisor, and i WILL be a persistent sumb'itch on this one.

so...anyone have any experience dealing with this and getting a positive result? i know with stuff like this it's usually just a matter of who you talk to, and how persuasive/persistent you are. any advice would be appreciated.

flew from chicago-midway to denver yesterday, and the f'n baggage handlers stole my digital camera right outta one of our checked bags. in this case, i KNOW it was the airline guys, because at midway, with frontier anyway, the TSA station is right there by the ticket counter and you actually have to take your bags over there yourself and hand it to the guy, and i watched him put it through the scanner and onto the belt (i.e., back into the airline's custody). so TSA is off the hook, and i think that gives me a little bit of leverage with the airline. i want some dough, or at the very least a couple vouchers or something. my initial call wasn't too fruitful ("not in our contract, blah blah blah"), but i have a call into the guy's supervisor, and i WILL be a persistent sumb'itch on this one.

so...anyone have any experience dealing with this and getting a positive result? i know with stuff like this it's usually just a matter of who you talk to, and how persuasive/persistent you are. any advice would be appreciated.

No advice except I bought those locks that are TSA approved. At least that will tell you if someone has been in your luggage. :D

Grits is right. It's a fairly well known fact that most theft from inside bags at the airport is from baggage handlers after security check. So....loading and unloading....it happens a lot. Bags are quickly rifled through then sent on their way. :D It's actually less common for your bag to be stolen right off the pickup carousel.

Obviously...I'm not saying ALL handlers. It's just common knowledge.....there was an organized theft ring a few years ago finally "busted"....meaning they nabbed a couple guys. :D Big whoop...it's more widespread than that. Sort of like caregivers in assisted living homes that take things from seniors' rooms while they are cleaning. No one likes to talk about it or take responsibility.....but it's rampant.

So...carry on all equipment (cameras, VTRs, laptops, ipods) and jewelry. And NEVER stash money in checked baggage. Sad but true.

I'm not sure you'll get any compensation Az....maybe if you yell loud enough.....maybe. But I think if you read the language on your ticket......the disclaimer is there. :D

ya know, i almost posted "any non-smartass advice would be appreciated" here. thank god i didn't, otherwise i wouldn't get to read all these f'n hilarious replies. :D:D

Im sorry..But ive never seen a softball that I didnt like

I believe you are hosed. The disclaimer on the ticket says they are not responsible. If they lose your luggage, that's a different matter. American Worse.. err West managed to loss my wife's bag on a flight from Las Vegas to Tucson. Took 3 reams of forms and 4 months before she was reimbursed.

No advice except I bought those locks that are TSA approved. At least that will tell you if someone has been in your luggage. :D

Good Info here. I travel a lot for work and I use one all the time.

Write a letter. Letters show that you are serious. They are rarely ignored.

Make the person that can do something about it call you, rather than you making multiple calls trying to find a person that can do something about it.

Dear Diary,

I'm one of the most pointlessly argumentative people at The Huddle. I :heart: semantics and am like so totally good at dragging people into arguements over minutae, and if I don't call them a name in one of my posts it is a rare day indeed.

But diary, when I turned to this group of people to tell them I did something no real intelligent person would do, like put a several hundred dollar item into checked luggage, I find little sympathy. Never mind it was the equivalent of leaving it in an unlocked and untended car in a public parking lot, but diary am I really fooling myself to expect an answer thread devoid of smartass comments?

Love, Az.

ps - Atomic was right, it was packed in my skirt. Silly me. Tee.

[/azazello1313]