[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Considering Lasik

AtomicCEO

I've got some extra dough this year... and I've been thinking, what better thing to spend it on than me?

I wore contacts for years, but I wore them too much and too long, so I can't wear them all the time like I used to or my eyes get really irritated.

So, I'm thinking about getting my eyes corrected with surgery. Has anyone else done this?

How would you describe it?

How much did it cost you?

Has your vision gotten worse since the surgery? Do you need glasses again?

My wife had it done about 5 years ago and she has had no problems since. She doesn't need glasses for anything anymore. I think it was around 3K at that time but the prices should of gone down by now you would think.

I have not done it yet, but am scheduled for early next year. A couple of my siblings have had it done with great results.

There are several types of lasik. Do some research on the docs in your area.

There are lots of places around here doing lasik for 500-600 an eye, but the guy my siblings have gone to has a newer technology that supposedly does more intricate work based on the specific needs of each individual eye. It runs about $3,500 total.

Edit to add: I believe this is the more exacting and expensive type my bro and sis had: From wikipedia -

Wavefront-guided LASIK

Wavefront-guided LASIK is a variation of LASIK surgery where, rather than apply a simple correction of focusing power to the cornea (as in traditional LASIK), an ophthalmologist applies a spatially varying correction, using a computer-controlled high-power UV laser guided by measurements from a wavefront sensor. The goal is to achieve a more optically perfect eye, though the final result still depends on the physician's success at predicting changes which occur during healing. Nor are wavefront aberrations the factor to degrade vision; especially in older patients, scattering from microscopic particles plays a major role. Hence, patients expecting so-called "super vision" from such procedures may be disappointed. However, surgeons claim patients are generally more satisfied with this technique than with previous methods, particularly regarding lowered incidence of "halos", the visual artifact caused by spherical aberration induced in the eye by earlier methods.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

I'm considering LASIK as well, does anyone know if there are any sight requirements in order to get it. My vision isn't terrible but it's not good either.

My vision is terrible. I can't find my glasses without my glasses.

But, my prescription hasn't changed in the past 5 years or so, so I figure it's pretty safe to get the surgery now. Plus, with my video work, I'd love to be able to use the viewfinder on cameras a little more accurately... glasses get in the way.

I see the ads for the docs that do $500/eye. Maybe I'll do some consultations and see what people say about the different methods.

I forget how long your prescription ahs to have been unchanged, I believe a year or so at least. I had Wavefront done close to three year ago and it was the best thing I have ever done. All told it ran 3500 but that included the cost of surgery, all meds, all pre and post op visits and all follow ups with the optician for a year.

Just be sure to go with a reputable Lasik Center, not one of the fly by night type places. THe results are immediate, though, having your eye written on with a sharpie was odd.

had it done in january of 2000 and have been seeing clearly ever since. i was severely nearsighted and had not had any change in my prescription for many years. back in those days, they did not have all of the various forms they had today, and it ran about $1500 per eye. luckily, i was able to use some of my flex benefits at work to cover part of the cost.

here are some things i would think about prior to having the surgery. i'll scare you first ...

know that every medical procedure comes with risk, even if it is only a fraction of a percentage point. when i had lasik, i was gun ho because i figured my eyesight could not get any worse! i ended up getting one of my eyes touched up about 6 months later and in that time, i learned through research that there are some who have issues with lasik that prevents their vision from being completely corrected via glasses/contacts. in fact, some people who have issues with the surgery end up wearing both glasses and contacts and do not have as good eyesight as they had prior the the procedure. can you imagine? having surgery to get rid of glasses and ending up wearing both glasses and contacts and not seeing clearly. if i would have done this much research prior, i probably would have waited or may not have done it at all. (ignorance in a way, turned out to be bliss).

if you do have issues post surgery, they may not be just seeing things blurry. it probably will be stuff like ghosting and flares, where your eyes react strangely to light. this has caused some lasik patients who have issues to not be able to drive at night because the headlights coming at them are enormous and block out everything else. in one of my eyes, i have this minor ghosting, but i have to be trying to find it, otherwise i don't notice (cover one eye and concentrate to see it).

i also learned that i definitely have one eye which is stronger/more dominant than the other. my right eye came right out of the procedure like steve austin's bionic eye. i could see things i've never seen, clocking in with 20-15 vision. since my left eye was not as sharp, i thought there was a problem, and that's why i had the touch up. the doctor had me wait 6 months for things to settle down and he still wasn't sure if he would do it or not. after that time, he did feel he could make a slight improvement, so we did it. it turned out to be very slight, but better. i learned that what was causing the issue with that eye was this slight ghosting and i think it is just my weaker eye. i was expecting perfection.

six years later, i'm seeing great and have no issues. a life free of glasses and contacts is awesome, from seeing the alarm clock in the morning to playing at the beach with the kids. the best sign that things worked well is that i don't think about my vision during the day.

so do your research and be aware of the risks. overall, it is extremely safe, but you should be fully informed. with the procedures today, i would hope that they are hughly better at things then they were 6 years ago.

prepare for lots of rest after the surgery and if they are still giving out relaxing drugs prior to the surgery, take them! they loosened me right up!

hope it helps. would be glad to answer any questions i can ...

My SO had it done well over 5 years ago. It's nothing short of miracle surgery. She had a stygmatism (sp?) and also couldn't find her glasses without her glasses. Driving her home afterwards, she peeked out and could finally read the road signs she never could before. To this day, there are no problems at all. She's the most squeamish person alive when it comes to medical stuff and it was no problem for her. Do it! :D

So, I'm thinking about getting my eyes corrected with surgery. Has anyone else done this?

I had lasik done about 5/6 years ago. Smooth as silk. The actual procedure for both eyes was less than 15 minutes. Cost was $3200 for both but with a pre-tax medical saving account with my employer, I saved about $700 in tax monies. So net was close to $2400/$2500.

My distance vision at the time was terrible. I had worn glasses since the 5th grade and eventually after high school got contacts. Worn those on and off for 10/15 yrs. I found them a pain and eventually went back to glasses.

After the procedure I was 20/20 in one eye and and even better in the other. Your mileage will vary. I did eventually lose my reading vision but knew this going in. It has gotten worse over the last year where now I need glasses for both my desktop and laptop. Darker lighting conditions also give me reading trouble now. So like Fred Sanford, I have a drawer full of reading glasses. :D

But my distance vision has gone relatively unchanged since the surgery. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I'm considering LASIK as well, does anyone know if there are any sight requirements in order to get it. My vision isn't terrible but it's not good either.

You should probably go find a reputable center in your area for a free screening. I had no issues and was a prime candidate but I do know the risks of success decrease with certain astigmatisms.

An owner in my local actually went to Montreal Canada to have his done for about $500 and eye. He is a cheap F with everything. His experience went well but there is no way I'd be doing anything like this long distance. My center was located the next block over from me.

now THAT is a selling point. :D

frequent adjustments are not a good thing. ideally, you have this done once and you are done, maybe having it again down the road when the technology takes another quantum leap or something. to continually go in and apply the same procedure to the eye is not healthy. the procedure is detroying tissue and nerves. i had one adjustment and remember reading that two should be the absolute max. don't go in thinking that if anything changes that you can just go in and get rezapped - it is not that simple.

there are some great lasik sites out there. do some simple google searches and you can learn quite a bit.

It was a bit weird, but the Valium worked wonders.

~$3k a couple years ago

Nope, still 20/15 both eyes. Dr said I may need reading glasses when I get older (currently 34).

I would highly recommend it.

Was considering this for a while. Did some research. Found that it's not good for guys like us who spend most of their day in front of a computer screen. Lasik probably isn't a good idea for people who use their eyes mostly for mid-field vision (2-4 feet).

The doctor I spoke with wears glasses and he told me that's why he didn't get it done, himself.

Was considering this for a while. Did some research. Found that it's not good for guys like us who spend most of their day in front of a computer screen. Lasik probably isn't a good idea for people who use their eyes mostly for mid-field vision (2-4 feet).

The doctor I spoke with wears glasses and he told me that's why he didn't get it done, himself.

was this before or after you told him he's a murderous corporate proxy? :D

Most important though, does it hurt? I've always had a thing about my eyes. I'm afraid they would have to medicate the hell out of me just for me to allow them to touch them.

no pain. the only thing is the discomfort related to pinning your eyes open.

oh, and i'm on the machine all day and at least at 6 years running, there have been no drawbacks ... of course, i may be blind by 50, who knows.

So... it's only recommended for the Amish?>