[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

woo-hoo! No school for me tomorrow.

wiegie

Blizzards = wiegie's friend

(The only bad thing is that since I teach a 3-hour night class on Mondays, I will have to figure out a way to squeeze an extra week's worth of material into the remaining 10 weeks of classes. Also, since the night class is all that I have to teach on Mondays, this doesn't really get me any extra sleep-in time, since I would have been sleeping in anyway. Oh well, I'll take it anyway.) :D

Blizzards = wiegie's friend

(The only bad thing is that since I teach a 3-hour night class on Mondays, I will have to figure out a way to squeeze an extra week's worth of material into the remaining 10 weeks of classes. Also, since the night class is all that I have to teach on Mondays, this doesn't really get me any extra sleep-in time, since I would have been sleeping in anyway. Oh well, I'll take it anyway.) :D

Since at least half your students probably bail after hour two (at least that was the M.O. when I took night classes) I wouldn't sweat it too awful much.

Cram the material you need to make up in at the end to doubly screw the early departers.

where do you live wiegie? I'm from upstate New York and i was just wondering if you lived anywhere near me because we just got a blizzard too. All the schools are cancelled and everything.

I live in Grand Rapids, MI.

We actually had the major snow-storm yesterday and I was VERY surprised that my university closed (this is only the second time it has closed in the six years that I have been here) but I guess that the winds are still blowing strong enough (30+ mph) to make it pretty hard to keeps the roads clear (plus the temperature is about 0 right now).

It's a good thing I just happened to check my university's website and saw that the school was closed or else I might have driven up there tomorrow.

Since at least half your students probably bail after hour two (at least that was the M.O. when I took night classes) I wouldn't sweat it too awful much.

I used to teach a five hour computer evening class at a....um.....tech college here in town. It was in just about the worst part of town and I did a deal with the criminals students in the class that I would let them out 90 minutes early if they paid attention. Got paid for the full five hours each night and invited back next semester. Apparently the criminals students thought I was cool. :D

I live in Grand Rapids, MI.

We actually had the major snow-storm yesterday and I was VERY surprised that my university closed (this is only the second time it has closed in the six years that I have been here) but I guess that the winds are still blowing strong enough (30+ mph) to make it pretty hard to keeps the roads clear (plus the temperature is about 0 right now).

It's a good thing I just happened to check my university's website and saw that the school was closed or else I might have driven up there tomorrow.

looks like there are blizzards throughout the country. I'm in Boston right now, and we haven't gotten hardly any snow yet :D I was looking forward to a few snow days myself

My husband went to Grand Rapids Jr. college before going on to U of M. His brother and niece went to Grand Valley State. His other brother went to Michigan State. My hubby grew up in Wyoming, MI.

small world--I teach at Grand Valley State

Do you guys ever make it back to Grand Rapids? If so, we'll have to meet up for a beer sometime. (There are a few other huddlers around here who might be able to make it too.)

Edited by wiegie

looks like there are blizzards throughout the country. I'm in Boston right now, and we haven't gotten hardly any snow yet :D I was looking forward to a few snow days myself

Grand Rapids is on the west coast of Michigan's Lower Peninsula and gets a significant amount of lake effect snow, which is most likely what they got today, since Milwaukee (right across the lake, where I am) hasn't seen notable snowfall for a week or so.

Grand Rapids is on the west coast of Michigan's Lower Peninsula and gets a significant amount of lake effect snow, which is most likely what they got today, since Milwaukee (right across the lake, where I am) hasn't seen notable snowfall for a week or so.

Yep, it was lake effect. The winds were blowing so strong, they were getting lake effect snow in Lansing (which is about 70 miles inland). :eek:

Yep, it was lake effect. The winds were blowing so strong, they were getting lake effect snow in Lansing (which is about 70 miles inland). :eek:

Yup. Thanks for the snow. I drove in a near white-out yesterday. I couldn't see more than a car length ahead. We have professional development tomorrow, so no snow day for me. Just blowing snow and waaaay cold temps.

small world--I teach at Grand Valley State

Do you guys ever make it back to Grand Rapids? If so, we'll have to meet up for a beer sometime. (There are a few other huddlers around here who might be able to make it too.)

Did you hear of Enid Gage who was on the Grand Valley women's golf team and quite good? She's my hubby's niece. If she dedicated herself she could have gone pro. She graduated last year. She had scholarships to U of M and MI State but wanted to be close to home, so played for GV, and graduated with a nursing degree.

I have a bro in law still in GR and a bro in law in Luddington. I was back last year and don't know when I'll be back again. I'll let you know.

This dam global warming sure makes things cold outside! :D

Our average high is 42, and it was 60 yesterday-I spent the day in shorts. It was 67 degrees just 20 miles north of here. The 60 degrees didn't beat the record of 67 set just two years ago. Sorry, but when you all back east were getting the warm weather we were frigid back here in the west. This warmth is probably headed your way.