[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you ever check your fantasy stuff at work, read this

wiegie

Fantasy sports create real job losses at A.G. Edwards

By Joe Whittington

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/01/2007

Business columnist Joe Whittington

It was evident something just didn't compute when local stock brokerages were showered with résumés from A.G. Edwards Inc. technology workers.

Turns out that 25 of the brokerage's Technology Group were fired Friday for "violation of firm policies." One source checking into the situation for a competing company said he was told some employees had a work-around to participate in a fantasy sports league.

"Because of violations of firm policies relating to the security and use of our technology systems, we were compelled to dismiss 25 employees in our Technology Group," a company e-mail said when asked about the firings.

"The actions involved were discovered during routine security monitoring operations and related to unauthorized access to personal e-mail accounts and prohibited websites," the statement continued. "We take the security of our technology systems very seriously and have again reminded all of our Home Office employees of our policies and procedures relating to our technology resources." Advertisement

There are 1,200 employees and about 300 contractors in the Technology Group, the company said.

In May 1999, Edward Jones fired 25 employees who used electronic mail for non-business reasons. In that incident, another 48 workers were suspended, according to an employee.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/business/...C7?OpenDocument

I just logged on today to make it abundantly clear that I never have nor would I think about using up work time for this kind of stuff. I'm rarely on here during the day. What do they think I'm an idiot? :D

I just logged on today to make it abundantly clear that I never have nor would I think about using up work time for this kind of stuff. I'm rarely on here during the day. What do they think I'm an idiot? :D

:D

In Fantasy Football: The Next Level, I have a chapter about why Fantasy Football is GOOD for a workplace. They are not King as refenced above, they are short-sighted despots intent on proving power.

In Fantasy Football: The Next Level, I have a chapter about why Fantasy Football is GOOD for a workplace. They are not King as refenced above, they are short-sighted despots intent on proving power.

Plug.

See? It is good to be the king...

To be honest if you look at most acceptable use policies almost everyone violates them at some point. These policies are usually written by lawyers and are very vague. This is done for multiple reasons, to help justify firings and just the opposite as well.

I think you guys are missing the point. It not that they were checking up on their leagues, but that they had used Ghost Surf or other non-authorized software to get to non-authorized or blocked sites, which they feel exposes the companies systems to a higher risk. As well as potential litagation.

I think you guys are missing the point. It not that they were checking up on their leagues, but that they had used Ghost Surf or other non-authorized software to get to non-authorized or blocked sites, which they feel exposes the companies systems to a higher risk. As well as potential litagation.

Yeah, exactly. If it's not allowed to use company email for FF, get a gmail account. If it's not allowed to use company internet for FF, then fine. Whose cell phone can't do email these days? A bunch of IT nerds ought to all have Web-capable phones. Where I'm at, our Internet access is unrestricted and unmonitored, but if you KNOW you're being watched and you're using hacks and/or software to get around it, you DESERVE to be fired, end of story.

Peace

policy