[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Thanks Comcast....guess you'll be squeezing me for another $5 per month come August so I can continue to view the NFL Network. Pathetic.

Comcast wins court battle over NFL Network

The cable company can move the programming to its sports tier.

By Christopher Stern

Bloomberg News

Philadelphia-based Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable television company, won the right to move the NFL Network from one of its most popular programming packages to a less widely distributed tier of sports channels. A New York Supreme Court judge has rejected the National Football League's claim that Comcast's move violated a contractual agreement, Comcast executive vice president David Cohen said yesterday in a statement.

The lawsuit is part of a larger fight between the closely held NFL and cable companies over telecasting the network. Cable companies contend that football fans who want the channel should pay extra for it. The NFL is pushing for wider distribution so it can increase ad and fee revenue from the operation.

In his May 4 ruling, which focused on agreements between Comcast and the NFL going back to 2004, Supreme Court Judge Bernard Fried in New York County said Comcast "is free to distribute the NFL Network on a sports tier." The channel features games and other football-related programming.

A call to NFL spokesman Seth Palansky for comment was not immediately returned.

Comcast plans to move the league's NFL Network to its sports tier in time for the 2007 football season, spokeswoman D'Arcy Rudnay said.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another example of why Direct TV is awesome (Thanks PSU)!!!! I dropped Comcast early last year and have never looked back. I had them for TV and internet service and now I have DTV and Verizon High Speed for the computer and couldn't be happier.

Edited by irish

The games should be on network tv but, luckily enough I have Dish Sat. so I get NFL network. The cable companies, or anyother company for that matter will suck you dry given the chance. It's the way of things. I'm sure I'm paying my share with Dish but it's stuck in with some package. My father is still pissed about paying for any tv at all. :D

Just switch to DirecTV and your programming will be cheaper with a better signal in most cases, assuming you have a good installer.

I switched to DirecTV several years ago and will NEVER switch back to cable (TimeWarner is the monopoly here) and their picture is just OK and their customer service is horrible.

Just had a new channel pop up for my location.... MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) that covers both Nationals and Orioles games (HUGH O's fan from when I was a kid) and it has been great.... NFL Network is a stable on their regular plan called Total Choice so no extra fees to get the channel and the NFL games they will cover in the fall. :D

It is the only system that offers the NFL Sunday Ticket, which is a big plus if you ever want to consider getting the Ticket.

Edited by PSULions

I'm in Hoboken, NJ and just called Cablevision again...they still do not offer the Network yet. Is this an exclusive deal with Comcast? If so, I'm SOL. Also, in my apartment building, no dish allowed...

:D

I'm in Hoboken, NJ and just called Cablevision again...they still do not offer the Network yet. Is this an exclusive deal with Comcast? If so, I'm SOL. Also, in my apartment building, no dish allowed...

I don't believe it's exclusive to comcast but also not positive. Too bad not being able to have satellite. I guess if you don't mind just listening there's always Serius Radio or I know there was a thread last year about all the games being on the net. I went for it too late and couldn't sign into it but, if available now it's another way to go. Anyone remember that thread and the site?

Nahhhh...it's an not exclusive deal with Comcast Wolf.

It's just that the NFL Network is charging the Cable Company's Top 5 money & were demanding they be shown on the cable companies basic tier.

Cablevision, being a smaller cable company than either Time Warner or Comcast, couldn't meet the NFL Networks demands of being in the basic programming package, without raising their rates & as the NFL Network is a niche channel which not everyone would want, they simply declined to carry them.

With this ruling, I'm sure Cablevision will begin offering the NFL Network on one of their upper tiers.

Honestly, I think once the NFL's bean counters see the ad revenue $$$ substantially decline (much smaller audience on upper tiers = less $$$ they can charge for commercial spots), the NFL comes down on what they're currently charging the Cable companies so they can get their network back on basic cable.

:D this is unfortunate, but my own 2cents is that I was dissappointed with NFL network (except for the games they would air) I mean you get 30 minutes of news which rebroadcast all day...it worse than CNN. I don't know maybe it's just me. Edited by devilwoman

To be honest, Since the NFL Network has announced that Bryant Bumble...errr I mean Gumble...is going to continue doing the play-by-play, I think the NFL Network should be paying us $5.00 a month to watch the channel. :D

To be honest, Since the NFL Network has announced that Bryant Bumble...errr I mean Gumble...is going to continue doing the play-by-play, I think the NFL Network should be paying us $5.00 a month to watch the channel. :D

Ha! After hearing how putrid he was last season, I didn't feel as bad at not being able to get the channel. But let's face it...it's football and we want to watch the game regardless of who is calling it. I'd rather have it this season and mute it while listening to Westwood One's broadcast on AM than not have it at all.

Man I have hated Comcast ever since they were Jones Intercable. They have a long history of screwing thier customers. And I hate the NFL network stealing thursday and saturday games that should be on network tv.

Yeah, why should the NFL NETWORK be allowed to show there own games?

The only reason you hate it is because you dont have it. Just get the greatness that is directTV

:D this is unfortunate, but my own 2cents is that I was dissappointed with NFL network (except for the games they would air) I mean you get 30 minutes of news which rebroadcast all day...it worse than CNN. I don't know maybe it's just me.

You can watch the replay games. If you are like me you forget what you had for lunch so watching a replay game is like watch a live broadcast. :D "Is this a Monday."

Yeah, why should the NFL NETWORK be allowed to show there own games?

The only reason you hate it is because you dont have it. Just get the greatness that is directTV

Whats next, Pay Per View Thanksgiving Day Games?

Just switch to DirecTV and your programming will be cheaper with a better signal in most cases, assuming you have a good installer.

It is the only system that offers the NFL Sunday Ticket, which is a big plus if you ever want to consider getting the Ticket.

We are stuck in a unique situation here in Philly, Comcast's hometown. Comcast has a grandfathered law in place here that says they do not have to offer any Comcast channels on DirectTV in the Philly area. What that means to us Philly fans is that if we subscribe to DirectTV, we cannot receive the Comcast channel, which happens to be the home for the Sixers, Flyers and Phillies.

So we have a choice...either subscirbe to Comcast on not get the NFL Sunday Ticket, or subscribe to Direct TV and not have access to Philly home games for hockey, baseball and basketball ( :D ).

Because they're heading towards a monopoly, which would violate anti-trust laws?

The broadcasting of games has nothing to do with being a monopoly, not having other competition has everything to do with them being a monopoly. Baseball has a federal exemption.

The broadcasting of games has nothing to do with being a monopoly, not having other competition has everything to do with them being a monopoly. Baseball has a federal exemption.

If you noticed, I said they're "HEADING" towards a monoply.

If upon the expiration of all current NFL TV contracts (FOX, CBS, ESPN & DirectTV) the NFL declines to offer any further TV contracts & instead keeps all NFL programming for their own Network, that my friend, is a monopoly.

Heck, just last year, the NFL's deal with DirectTV for the Sunday Ticket came under scrutiny from the US Senate Judiciary Committee, as possibly being a monopoly & violating anti-trust laws.

Today the Senate Judiciary Committee holds a hearing on whether the DirecTV monopoly on Sunday Ticket is anti-consumer and constitutes restraint of trade. Finally, Congress has noticed this issue! TMQ's prediction: The NFL, which seriously does not want Congress rethinking the antitrust exemption granted to the league in 1961 over its television contracts, better move pronto to make Sunday Ticket available to all cable carriers. The 1961 agreement with Congress specifies that in exchange for an antitrust exemption, the NFL will make its broadcasts available to everyone. Instead, the Sunday Ticket broadcast operates under a monopoly structure. Congress is already in a foul mood about the NCAA's tax-exempt status for profitable D-I football. The new Congress will want to differentiate itself from the last by being pro-consumer. The NFL's television contracts are worth nearly $4 billion a year; the league would be foolish to run any risk with that sum. Roger Goodell, change your deal with DirecTV before Congress changes it for you.
US Senate Judiciary Committee - Competition in Sports Programming and Broadcasting: Are Consumers Winning

Make any sense to you now, Pope?