[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Torry Holt - not a top 10 WR this year

Tauntaun

I am sure most will disagree with me but hear me out.

1) Holt is getting older and had off season knee surgery. Even when healthy last year, it is very clear he does not have the wheels he once had.

2) I know the Rams can not use SJax the same as they did last year or he will be dead. But it is very obvious that he is a major part of the passing game and a lock to get most of the looks at the goaline.

3) Drew Bennett signed a pretty nice contract and is certainly talented enough to take looks away from Holt.

4) The Rams have quickly become a ball control offense (more Jackson) since Martz left town.

5) Brian Leonard will also be used heavily in the passing game as he excelled at it in college.

I think what we saw toward the end of last year is what we will get from Holt this coming year. 5 for 50, 6 for 60 with an occasional multi TD game. Other than his huge game last year, Holt was average at best.

An older, slower Holt coupled with a ball control offense, very good #2 and #3 WR's, and a great RB leads me to think the days of the old Holt are long gone. The Rams no longer need to throw to Holt every other play. Less targets means less production. Thoughts?

Edited by Tauntaun

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Holt is getting older and had off season knee surgery. Even when healthy last year, it is very clear he does not have the wheels he once had.

2) I know the Rams can not use SJax the same as they did last year or he will be dead. But it is very obvious that he is a major part of the passing game and a lock to get most of the looks at the goaline.

3) Drew Bennett signed a pretty nice contract and is certainly talented enough to take looks away from Holt.

4) The Rams have quickly become a ball control offense (more Jackson) since Martz left town.

I think what we saw toward the end of last year is what we will get from Holt this coming year. 5 for 50, 6 for 60 with an occasional multi TD game. Other than his huge game last year, Holt was average at best.

An older, slower Holt coupled with a ball control offense, very good #2 and #3 WR's, and a great RB leads me to think the days of the old Holt are long gone. The Rams no longer need to throw to Holt every other play. Less targets means less production. Thoughts?

You sound like someone who just traded away Torry Holt...... :D:D:tup:

5) Brian Leonard will also be used heavily in the passing game as he excelled at it in college.

Don't agree one bit. He's top 5 easy, and Bennett hurts Isaac Bruce not Holt. Leonard is a rook, which means minimal impact and doesn't displace SJax unless in the event of injury.

I don't know. I would've traded anything on my roster, besides Gore, plus picks to get my hands on Holt.

Um, Holt is only 31 and his knee problem was minor enough that he was able to play through it last season. I'd say that 93 catches and double-digit TDs with a bad knee is pretty impressive. I see a healthy Holt being faster and better than last season. Bennett will be battling Bruce for the possession receiver role and it won't affect Holt much. Even in the Martz era, the multiple-WR sets with Holt, Bruce, Proehl, Hakim, and sometimes Faulk didn't stop Torry from catching 80-90 balls and putting up 1,300-1,600 yd seasons.

I'm absolutely planning on keeping Holt in my BOTH league.

1) Holt is getting older and had off season knee surgery. Even when healthy last year, it is very clear he does not have the wheels he once had. - Surgery was minor, won't be an issue.

2) I know the Rams can not use SJax the same as they did last year or he will be dead. But it is very obvious that he is a major part of the passing game and a lock to get most of the looks at the goaline. There's no reason why they WON'T do this again, Your first statement has no validity at all.

3) Drew Bennett signed a pretty nice contract and is certainly talented enough to take looks away from Holt. He'll take away no more looks than Bruce.

4) The Rams have quickly become a ball control offense (more Jackson) since Martz left town. :D Have you seen their defense, why do you think Bulger and Jackson had such a great season? THEY HAD TO PLAY CATCHUP.

5) Brian Leonard will also be used heavily in the passing game as he excelled at it in college. Meh, not a factor

I think what we saw toward the end of last year is what we will get from Holt this coming year. 5 for 50, 6 for 60 with an occasional multi TD game. Other than his huge game last year, Holt was average at best. Bulger had a lingering shoulder injury that kept him from being accurate most of the season so the deep ball was never there, but when it was, the ball went to Holt.

An older, slower Holt coupled with a ball control offense, very good #2 and #3 WR's, and a great RB leads me to think the days of the old Holt are long gone. The Rams no longer need to throw to Holt every other play. Less targets means less production. You're also forgetting about the pathetic offensive line that never gave Bulger the time to throw the ball. You sound like someone that is just looking at stats and not watching a Rams game.

I don't know. I would've traded anything on my roster, besides Gore, plus picks to get my hands on Holt.

I heard from a little birdy that some drunk guy at a wedding offered you Holt for Moss and to swap 2nd round picks and you turned it down. Any truth to that? :D

Like I said, I have Holt in a few leagues and just traded him in another. I think he been very consistent over the years but the last few years he was #9, #6, #4, and #2....not a great trend.

I did watch Rams games last year and the point about their line is a great point.

I am new to posting but have been reading posts for some time. Feel free to rip me but you will find that I will be right most of the time.

The days of Holt running free across the middle with a QB that has time to throw him the ball are over. He is slower and he is not the #1 option in the new Linehan offense.

I can not wait to bring this post back up come the end of the year. :D

The days of Holt running free across the middle with a QB that has time to throw him the ball are over. He is slower and he is not the #1 option in the new Linehan offense.

He'll be the #1 receiver easily. He was never the #1 guy, it's been Faulk or SJax.

I traded away LaMont Jordan and TJ Houshmandzadeh last year in the off-season for Holt. It's a ten player keeper league. That trade helped me win the championship. The mid-season trade for SJax put me over the top. I traded away Ronnie Brown and a second round pick for SJax. I offered Gore and the other owner countered with Brown. :D

Not sure what scoring you use but he was #16 in 2002.

Likely one that scores a lot of points for yardage & receptions. His point though is that Holt has been money every year since his 2nd season(2000). Harrison has 3 years on him & hasn't slowed down yet, there's no reason to think that Holt can't match that at least.

Thoughts?

You may want to check Drew Bennett's penchant for dropping passes and being injured.

Tory Holt: Only fantasy receiver to be top 6 every year since 2001.

...in your league. So?

My only gripe on Holt (and it's a small one) is he has a slight hot/cold tendency.

OK actually my other and biggest one is that he costs too much in our auction league.