[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We Took the Job

Cyclones

Well, after exhausting consideration and several days of listing pros/cons, etc, my wife and I decided to take the position in Cebu, PI whichi I posted about a few weeks ago. Outside of the 300% increase in income, we think it will also provide a great experience for us to live in a different part of the world and within a different culture for a few years. Our son is excited and will have no problem making friends. I'll be making my first trip over in about 3 weeks....now the hard part-putting in my notice to my current boss.

It will be weird getting up at 1am every Monday morning to watch football though........ :D

Make sure that you are way overly-cautious in regards to your family's safety while there. Be paranoid about it for their sake, but enjoy the new scenery while it lasts. I'm a bit jealous!

Congratulations! :D

Make sure that you are way overly-cautious in regards to your family's safety while there. Be paranoid about it for their sake, but enjoy the new scenery while it lasts. I'm a bit jealous!

Congratulations! :D

Yes, safety will be concern #1 for us. We will have a house in a gated community and the company we work for provides a driver, maid, etc. In speaking with some Americans who live over there, its basic common sense...no flashy jewellery, stay in safe places, etc. Same thing I would do in a big city over here. We are understandably a bit nervous but at the same time excited. The family isnt joining me until our house sells, so I will be commuting for the next few months or so. If anyone needs a nice house on an acre in the Lexington KY area let me know. :D

Best of luck to you and your family. I hope it all works out.

+1. Worth considering the technologies now available to make the first part of the stay less stressful. These can make family and friends seem closer.

when he was in his mid 40s, my grandfather took a similar sort of gig, signing up for a 10-year haul with aramco (the saudi state oil company), after which he would retire. he ended up making, for them, a ton of money. they got like two months off every year, they'd usually spend half of that globetrotting, then the other half back at home in shreveport, la, visiting with everybody. it was a very good thing for them. unfortunately, he died of cancer way too young, only a couple of years after they got back. going over there enabled him to pack a lot of fun chit, seeing the whole world, and leaving my granny in pretty good situation, all before dying at an age when most people are just starting to think about being able to retire. which is all sort of a long, rambling story...the only point being, these kinds of opportunities can be good ones.

Phillippine Islands.

ABWF says that's west of France but east of Boise.

Sweet. Lotsa cheap hookers over there! :D I was thinking Palestine/Israel. Thanks Bear. What kinda work would transfer you to the phillipenes cyclones?

Sweet. Lotsa cheap hookers over there! :D I was thinking Palestine/Israel. Thanks Bear. What kinda work would transfer you to the phillipenes cyclones?

I'm an operations VP for a BPO company. A competing company just won a large account and is setting up shop in Cebu and Manilla. They want me to run the shop for them. It'll be a ton of work over the next year or so but should lighten up once we are ramped and stable.

They also added into the offer extra stock should I choose to stay past two years, so if we like it, we will likely stick around...I am 32 now, assuming there is not a major catastrophe that kills the stock market or devalues the US$ substantially, 3+ years there would likely lead to me retiring. Gotta give it a shot.