[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scam!

rocknrobn26

On no less than 2 news programs, the financial analyst highly recommended "Freecreditreport.com". So I went there based on the reccs, but didn't see the disclaimer:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple AdvantageSM Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period**, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership.

I then proceeded to get my statement.

I saw the charge on my Feb. CC statement, but figured it was the wife doing something w/ no indication that CIC was FCR, so I paid it. On my current statement I see it again and ask her what that was. She had no idea. I google "CIC Triple Advantage" and I got all sorts of hits about the scam. I called to cancel and demanded a full refund. Got the usual run around "We'll give you 1 month credit, cancel your membership, but I can't give the first month's refund as per our policy.". I call for the supervisor, threaten contacting the BBB and after 10 minutes I get the credit for the first month also. 20 minutes total call length.

Buyer beware.

Anyone else have this problem?

How this is not false advertising is beyond me since free is supposed to mean at no cost and does not require another purchase to obtain it.

As I put in another thread, they need to put "free" in quotes since it's not really free.

I see nothing wrong with this, unless I am not reading correctly.

I use freecreditreport.com and tell them I do not want the monthly service and not pay the fee. They clearly state if you do not notify them you are enrolling into the service.

Never give your CC# without reading all the disclaimers. I found this out the hardway but this is not a scam.

Edited by MrTed46

RR.

in your original post, you quote the policy as its written,a nd incldue the bolded/caps headline of "IMPORTANT INFORMATION". How did you miss that you were being charged?

The report is free, and by getting it, you agree to a trail memebership that is automatically renewed unless you cancel it. You forgot to cancel it, so you got hit with the fee. Many companies operate like this. They get you on-board, hope you forget to cancel within the allotted time frame, and hope it passes so they can bill you. Frankly, I'm surprised you got a refund, since they did nothing wrong.

I do this all the time for freebies, and make sure I cancel all obligations before I am billed for any service I don't want.

I don't see the scam?

I see nothing wrong with this, unless I am not reading correctly.

I use freecreditreport.com and tell them I do not want the monthly service and not pay the fee. They clearly state if you do not notify them you are enrolling into the service.

Never give your CC# without reading all the disclaimers. I found this out the hardway but this is not a scam.

How do you get a credit report w/o giving your credit card? Also I paid a little extra to get the more detailed report thus the CC info.

RR.

in your original post, you quote the policy as its written,a nd incldue the bolded/caps headline of "IMPORTANT INFORMATION". How did you miss that you were being charged?

The report is free, and by getting it, you agree to a trail memebership that is automatically renewed unless you cancel it. You forgot to cancel it, so you got hit with the fee. Many companies operate like this. They get you on-board, hope you forget to cancel within the allotted time frame, and hope it passes so they can bill you. Frankly, I'm surprised you got a refund, since they did nothing wrong.

I do this all the time for freebies, and make sure I cancel all obligations before I am billed for any service I don't want.

I don't see the scam?

We disagree, but a web site called FREE Credit report should be that ...FREE! The warning is on the side bar and the button to click is close to center. After clicking the button there is no further mention of the fee, nor an agreement page to accept or decline. Also I don't think I'm alone...

It's hard to miss a freecreditreport.com advertisement on any given day so most people would feel comfortable in dealing with them. But if I get anything for free, I would be reading over the contract even more carefully before I sign up for it. This doesn't sound like an unusual agreement, imo.

Now I know that RR isn't old enough to start scamming for home improvement work, yet. I'll give him a few more years before I knock on his door. :wacko:

RR - Sorry buddy but I'm with Ted and Swammi on this one. It's free CREDIT REPORT dot com. You, essentially, got the CREDIT REPORT for free. It's the membership to the credit monitoring service which is not free.

You can get a credit report from other sources without having to give any credit card information. Your credit rating is based off your Social Security number, not off some credit card number. :wacko:

The fine print is pretty clear, both in their TV advertising and everywhere else. Expect to get billed for SOMETHING if you provide credit card information. Even if what you're receiving UP FRONT is essentially FREE.

We disagree, but a web site called FREE Credit report should be that ...FREE! The warning is on the side bar and the button to click is close to center.

freecreditreport :wacko:

After clicking the button there is no further mention of the fee, nor an agreement page to accept or decline.

FWIW, I filled out the application, and just before you click "submit", it clearly notifies you of your committment. It also has a box where you can click to read the further terms and conditions.

I am sure some others feel duped, too....but to those that follow the rules, the credit report is indeed free.

Whatever. If it's not a scam, it's at the very least deceptive as I never even got an email describing the terms. I'm not going to argue. I know I'm not alone. :wacko:

Edited by rocknrobn26

Whatever. If it's not a scam, it's at the very least deceptive as I never even got an email describing the terms. I'm not going to argue. I know I'm not alone. :D

Dude... if you thought it was free, wouldn't you ask why they needed your credit card number??? :wacko:

Whatever. If it's not a scam, it's at the very least deceptive as I never even got an email describing the terms. I'm not going to argue. I know I'm not alone. :wacko:

You are absolutely correct and that it is deceptive. That's a total bs way to run a business.

Btw, this reminds me of the old Columbia House way of buying music. Get 11 cd's free and buy a few more after that. If you don't tell them you don't want the record of the month (how old is that one?) then it's on its way. Has the internet killed off those companies?

You are absolutely correct and that it is deceptive. That's a total bs way to run a business.

While I'm on the "other" side of this debate, I will admit that it's a pretty BS way to do business.

Btw, this reminds me of the old Columbia House way of buying music. Get 11 cd's free and buy a few more after that. If you don't tell them you don't want the record of the month (how old is that one?) then it's on its way. Has the internet killed off those companies?

:D Unless you were savvy enough to work the system. :wacko:

Kinda like the Girls Gone Wild videos... or, uh, so I heard.... :wacko:

Dude... if you thought it was free, wouldn't you ask why they needed your credit card number??? :D

I went back to the site. I hit the "Click Here" and it does not look the same. Yah thnk they changed the site since then? :D

The only thing I put my CC# for was for an extended view(3 months) for Experian. I know I did NOT agree to the $14.95 thing. Maybe they changed it (the web site). :D All I know is that I put info in for the 3 month extension! My CC showed that.

BTW they were in trouble w/ the FTC in 2007, and gave back $300,000 w/ no fault. :wacko:

So grill me if it makes yall feel better. Put pics up and laugh. No diff to me. I know this place is a rip. Look at the google results if you don't believe me.

FWIW, caught one of their commercials yesterday (another one in their series with the folksy singer in random situation due to identity theft or something), and, at the end of it, the voice over does state that the free credit report offer is only valid with enrollment in the Triple Advantage program. Kinda thrown in briefly at the end like the side effects in the drug commercials. But, after reading this thread, I actually paid attention to the commercial to see if it mentioned it at all.