[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why No love for Vincent Jackson?

0-16 Again

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's really the uncontested #1 in SD. Chambers is an afterthought, LT and Gates are the only other real pass catchers aside from V Jax and when you have a QB who's shown he can throw for 4,000 yards and lead the league in TDs I'd say it looks good on paper.

I couldn't find anything saying he's had more than one.

VJax was on probation from an earlier DUI conviction. If he's convicted again he could face jail time and a much longer NFL suspension than one game.

chambers is on the decline.

Chambers is spare

Chambers is an afterthought,

:wacko:

Well, there's some interesting opinions to say the least... Chambers goes to SD in midseason to an offense he doesn't know and still made an impact. He caught more footballs last year than Jackson, came within 30 yds of putting up 1000 yds receiving between 2 teams, and has shown in his play that he has a superior set of skills to Jackson. Jackson's production jumped significantly after the addition of Chambers, who drew coverage as the #1 WR. What Chambers hasn't had is a decent QB throwing the football to him in his entire career - much less a Rivers quality passer.

I am a Jackson fan, but he is not Chambers quaility - at least not yet. Chambers does some amazing things to catch a football. And to say Chambers is an afterthought, a spare, and on the decline? I guess that's why SD jumped up and traded away a 2nd round pick for him. Chambers will outperform Jackson this year - and that's no shame on Jackson. But the reason there isn't much talk on Jackson is that he is the fourth receiving option right now on SD.

There's a good chance Jackson will have a season with less than 55 catches and less than 950 yds receiving - again, not because he lacks the ability but rather that the opportunity isn't there.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I suspect you could say the same for all WRs outside the top 15?

I kind of agree with what he was saying. VJAX can be a bit like Lee Evans. He'll either get a 60 yard catch (many times for a TD) or miss the one or two times they throw to him on a go route. Makes the difference of him being a great start or getting next to nothing. I had him on one team last year and it can be a headache figuring out when to start him.

Edited by Square

:wacko:

Well, there's some interesting opinions to say the least... Chambers goes to SD in midseason to an offense he doesn't know and still made an impact.

Wasn't it the same offense he had run previously? I like Chambers more than most in this thread, but he wasn't completely new to that offense.

Wasn't it the same offense he had run previously? I like Chambers more than most in this thread, but he wasn't completely new to that offense.

He had no time to develop any kind of relationship with Rivers, or to get into the details of the O. Watch this year after those two have had some time to work together.

bronco billy...your talking about 2007 stats, last year he was no where near as good as jackson. he only had 33 catches an 459 yards 5 tds compared to jacksons 59 rec 1059 yards and 7 tds...so after a full year after working together jackson proved he can handle the job.

bronco billy...your talking about 2007 stats, last year he was no where near as good as jackson. he only had 33 catches an 459 yards 5 tds compared to jacksons 59 rec 1059 yards and 7 tds...so after a full year after working together jackson proved he can handle the job.

Those stats are skewed because of injury.

Wow. So I am. Wasn't he haurt last year - had something nagging almost the entire season?

I may have to do a bit more research and retract some of those thoughts. I still think he's a high quality WR, though, and better at this point than Jackson, though that may change in a couple of years.

Wow. So I am. Wasn't he haurt last year - had something nagging almost the entire season?

I may have to do a bit more research and retract some of those thoughts. I still think he's a high quality WR, though, and better at this point than Jackson, though that may change in a couple of years.

I remember a previous thread where we ran the numbers and Chambers production was very similar to (the now Cowboy / TO replacement) Roy Williams. We'll have to see where everyone ends up drafting Chambers. I'd take a shot on him if the price is right (not really going out on a limb here am I). Regardless though, I'd prefer to take him before VJAX.

I'll have to take a harder look as well. Gates had injury problems last year that really hurt him, which is why Jackson really became the #1 or #2 target during the year. Jackson finally proved why he was such a high pick and can be a true #1 in this league. However, Rivers is not afraid to spread the ball around regardless of who it is, so I do think there is a limit to how good a season Jackson can have only because of opportunities.

Last year Jackson was really not a very reliable FF WR. Ended up having a decent season, but not a player you could just plug into your lineup and leave in. Seemed to have more average days than strong days. This year may change, but if Gates is healthy then Jackson again will be a bench filler.

Edited by NAUgrad

I'll have to take a harder look as well. Gates had injury problems last year that really hurt him, which is why Jackson really became the #1 or #2 target during the year. Jackson finally proved why he was such a high pick and can be a true #1 in this league. However, Rivers is not afraid to spread the ball around regardless of who it is, so I do think there is a limit to how good a season Jackson can have only because of opportunities.

Last year Jackson was really not a very reliable FF WR. Ended up having a decent season, but not a player you could just plug into your lineup and leave in. Seemed to have more average days than strong days. This year may change, but if Gates is healthy then Jackson again will be a bench filler.

What makes you think Jackson was a high pick? He went at the 2.29 pick in 2005 and was the 11th wideout drafted that year between Terrence Murphy and Courtney Roby. Otherwise, I mostly agree with you.

Jackson caught 59 passes that ranked 33rd among all WR's. He just managed to catch some long passes to give him a really YPC. Even though Chambers and Gates both were injured and gave him more opportunities, Jackson only had 18 more catches than the previous year (41-623-3).

He had nine catches that accounted for 432 of his yards (all were 37 to 60 yards long) and a 48.0 YPC on those catches. He had 50 other catches for 666 (mark of the beast) yards and a 13.3 YPC. He either caught a bomb (or two in a couple of games) or he didn't fare that well. Half of his games had less than 60 yards.

That all said, I may move him up a little because he will certainly catch a few more long passes this year. But I am always leery of relying on a guy who mostly gets his stats from catching a bomb like he did in seven games last year. It will be interesting to see and it is encouraging seeing him get chemistry with Rivers. He just needs to be more of a possession - higher volume of catches - kind of guy and LT and Gates get in the way of that.

I am in dynasty league and we only can keep 4 WRs so I kept AJ, Colston, Marshall and A. Gonzalez. I took Gonzo over Jackson for the last spot. I love Jackson but I feel he will never eclipse the 8-10 TD range. To me that is his ceiling - and that is awesome for most #2/#3 WR in fantasy. I kept Gonzo becuase I felt he could do the same as Jackson and potentially more if Wayne gets slowed or injured. But it hurt to trade Jackson (for a draft pick) because I always liked him and felt he was underused in SD.

What makes you think Jackson was a high pick? He went at the 2.29 pick in 2005 and was the 11th wideout drafted that year between Terrence Murphy and Courtney Roby. Otherwise, I mostly agree with you.

Jackson caught 59 passes that ranked 33rd among all WR's. He just managed to catch some long passes to give him a really YPC. Even though Chambers and Gates both were injured and gave him more opportunities, Jackson only had 18 more catches than the previous year (41-623-3).

He had nine catches that accounted for 432 of his yards (all were 37 to 60 yards long) and a 48.0 YPC on those catches. He had 50 other catches for 666 (mark of the beast) yards and a 13.3 YPC. He either caught a bomb (or two in a couple of games) or he didn't fare that well. Half of his games had less than 60 yards.

That all said, I may move him up a little because he will certainly catch a few more long passes this year. But I am always leery of relying on a guy who mostly gets his stats from catching a bomb like he did in seven games last year. It will be interesting to see and it is encouraging seeing him get chemistry with Rivers. He just needs to be more of a possession - higher volume of catches - kind of guy and LT and Gates get in the way of that.

I agree with you that he needs to catch more balls, but couldn't the same be said for Bernard Berrian?

I also think he deserves to be ahead of the likes of Steve Smith, Steve Breaston Muhshin Muhhamed, Hester, Ginn, and Holmes. I don't see what they've done to be ahead of him. He's the only one other than Breaston who eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark. But hey, everyone's got there pov, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I do tend to sound negative on here, but I think your rankings are very good this year.