[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mcfadden working at wr

polksalet

I read it to say they are not shifting him but expanding his roles.

If he were playing on a team with a legit #1 RB I would probably agree with you. However look at what he is competing against. Bush is a decent back at best and still doesn't have a lot of burst. Huggy Bear Jr is really nothing special either. If there were an LT2 or an AP back there I can see it. However this is not the role you give to a top draft pick, especially one as large as mccrack. He should be running up the middle trying to take pressure off of that joke of a fat qb they drafted #1 overall. I'm sorry but this looks like an admittance that he isn't as good as what they already have and are trying to get him time any way possible.

Edited by polksalet

Cable says the game tapes from last season confirmed that the offense was noticeably better when 2008 first-round pick Darren McFadden was on the field. Cable, who will call plays, says he will do more to involve the speedy back as a runner, receiver and passer. That's fine with McFadden, who believes his increased comfort level with the offense should allow him to make more plays this year.

If he were playing on a team with a legit #1 RB I would probably agree with you. However look at what he is competing against. Bush is a decent back at best and still doesn't have a lot of burst. Huggy Bear Jr is really nothing special either. If there were an LT2 or an AP back there I can see it. However this is not the role you give to a top draft pick, especially one as large as mccrack. He should be running up the middle trying to take pressure off of that joke of a fat qb they drafted #1 overall. I'm sorry but this looks like an admittance that he isn't as good as what they already have and are trying to get him time any way possible.

You mean like Reggie Bush? He was a higher pick than McFadden and is running with Pierre Thomas now not LT or AP.

I'd like to see if he can catch and what Bush and McFadden can do on the field at the same time.

Give Cable a chance. It may not work out but neither has anyone else lately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Darren McFadden - RB, Oakland Raiders

The San Francisco Chronicle reports Oakland Raiders RB Darren McFadden has been lining up out wide at times during practices. Head coach Tom Cable said McFadden will receive an expanded role this season in part to get two running backs on the field at the same time.

THE HUDDLE'S TAKE: If McFadden actually had an NFL-caliber quarterback directing the offense, he could be a Fantasy factor. But until JaMarcus Russell shows he has a pulse, McFadden's vast talent will continue to be wasted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say that I disagree with that completely. No question that he would be served better and would be more effective and valuable had he a solid QB to run the offense and take pressure off of him. But to say "he could be a fantasy factor" if he had an "NFL-caliber QB" is making you think that he isn't and won't be. And to say that "his vast talent will continue to be wasted", is also not accurate. Someone reading that (especially newbs to FF) might avoid McFadden altogether thinking that he won't be a fantasy factor and that his skills are wasted because of the lack of an NFL-caliber QB. And the truth is that he's a solid 4th round pick who will see close to 300 touches this year and in PPR leagues, possibly rank in the Top 15 at the RB position and would surely make a solid #2 RB ( I have him right at #15 myself).

You mean like Reggie Bush? He was a higher pick than McFadden and is running with Pierre Thomas now not LT or AP.

I'd like to see if he can catch and what Bush and McFadden can do on the field at the same time.

He actually has pretty good hands... something that wasn't really advertised coming out, and he drew a couplea big PI penalties running deep last year too... it is true that the offense is just much different(improved) with him running around out there.

Now if he could just somehow strengthen his toes :wacko:

It was known from day 1 by any football fan with a pulse that Bush was not a feature back. His role in college was lining up all over the field. This is not true with mcfadden.

Edited by polksalet

Bush offers Raiders a bigger back alternative

Posted: 08/07/2009 09:52:41 PM PDT

Updated: 08/07/2009 10:13:08 PM PDT

The last time anyone saw Raiders running back Michael Bush in a game, he was running over, past and around the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for 177 yards in Oakland's regular-season finale

Just imagine what Bush could have done if he had started that game and had not been the third back off the sideline.

This season, Coach Tom Cable must figure out a way to use Bush in an offense that also features Darren McFadden and Justin Fargas.

"Each of them kind of has their own little deal," Cable said. "Michael has proven that he can get going right away when he gets in a game. "... We have three starters. The important thing is, getting them each in a role that's productive for this football team because we know all three are going to impact us in a great way."

Bush, 6-foot-1 and 245 pounds, is the wild card in the equation, given Fargas was the primary starter the past two seasons, and the Raiders selected McFadden at No. 4 in the 2008 NFL draft to be a featured player.

Cable's task wouldn't be so difficult if it weren't for Fargas averaging only 3.9 yards per carry last season, or if McFadden's playing time wasn't limited by turf-toe and shoulder injuries.

There are those who question whether McFadden and Fargas are strong enough and durable enough to handle a sizable workload centered on dashes through 300-pound defenders.

McFadden tends to excel most on the perimeter, and Fargas' straight-ahead style doesn't lend itself to

Advertisement

many broken tackles.

The thinking goes that Bush's fullback-like build is more likely to withstand the pounding of running between the offensive tackles and more likely to wear down defenses. Case in point: Bush scored long, late touchdowns against Kansas City and the finale against Tampa Bay, which he said was a message game.

"I just wanted to make sure to make a statement for myself because I didn't really play that much last year," Bush said, "and I just wanted to make sure that all the Raider fans had something to look forward to next season."

Bush and Fargas say if all goes as planned, there are enough carries for all three backs. Bush said the offense is designed to produce two 1,000-yard backs. Fargas took it one step further.

"There's going to be plenty of carries and plenty of yards out there for each of us," Fargas said. "I feel like we can all have great seasons and all complement each other well. Three 1,000-yard backs aren't out of the question."

Bush is regarded as Oakland's best blocking back, which is crucial against blitzing teams such as the San Diego Chargers.

In practice Wednesday, Bush met linebacker Ricky Brown head-on, stopped Brown in his tracks and snapped his head back while picking up a blitz.

"When Michael has gone in and performed in his limited chances, he has really excelled," Cable said. "You just see his confidence getting better and better and better. When I watch him every day out here, he's physical as a runner and now he's become physical as a protector."

The Raiders selected Bush with the first pick in the fourth round of the 2007 draft. He slipped from a first-round candidate after he broke his right leg in the first game of his senior season at Louisville.

He spent the entire 2007 season strengthening a leg that required two surgeries and numerous hours of intensive rehabilitation.

Now he's ready to show that he is more than a running back in a fullback's body, and that he has the talent to be an every-down back in the NFL.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines...?nclick_check=1