[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Netbooks

jaxfactor

I have no clue when it comes to computers, so remember that you're talking to a dumbass here.

I have no laptop and am thinking about purchasing a netbook. I'm travelling via a train to Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving and would really like to be able to access the internet while on board. Do these things come internet ready, or do I have to purchase some kind of internet card? I haven't checked yet whether Amtrak has Wifi. If they do, would I be instantly hooked up and ready to go?

Also would like some input on the netbooks themselves. I'm only willing to pay $350-400 tops for one as I will not be using it that much(I don't travel a lot). What's a good brand to purchase?

Also, should I be concerned about viruses with a netbook? Do they come with Norton or McAfee installed?

Too many damn questions. I could just pre-set my FF lineups ahead of time and use my brother's PC to check, but really don't want to hassle him with this.

TIA

Yes, they have built in wifi.

Costs $200-300 depending upon brand name and hardware innards.

Usually only trial Antivirus.

Can usually only run 32 bit operating systems and software.

Good for surfing the internet, documents, watching movies, and playing music. Not good for playing games.

Edited by Riffraff

Buy this one. I have had the older version since June. It has been great. Whatever you get, make sure it has enough battery life.

Put this free anti-virus on it. There's no reason to spend money on anti-virus anymore.

The one I linked to has built in wi-fi as they all do. Amtrack may or may not have wi-fi. If they do, I'm sure that they will charge for it.

Edited by Egret

Jax:

Call me if you want. I bought a first generation MSI and couldn't be happier. Mind you, I bought it for traveling only. The market is way more expanded now, but when you buy a net book...that's what you get...a minimal puter that will do internet and basic chit. No one to my knowledge includes WiFi time. Unless you buy a pack for $40/month minimum.

call me.

to this day I am still surprised at how popular these netbooks are. I thought they were a horrible idea.

Business trips.

Small enough for easy packing, can play music or movies while the battery lasts for an 8 hour flight, internet usage in a hotel room, and easily taken to meetings/conferences in a briefcase for any correspondence that may be needed.

Edited by Riffraff

Why? All most people do is surf and keep pictures and such. :wacko:

Business trips.

Small enough for easy packing, can play music or movies while the battery lasts for an 8 hour flight, internet usage in a hotel room, and easily taken to meetings/conferences in a briefcase for any correspondence that may be needed.

Yeah, I still don't get it. Either you have your laptop with you or you have these smart phones that can do all of that anyways. I guess that's why I am not a business man. I just don't get it. For 2 to 3 hundred more, you get an awesome laptop. :D

Yeah, I still don't get it. Either you have your laptop with you or you have these smart phones that can do all of that anyways. I guess that's why I am not a business man. I just don't get it. For 2 to 3 hundred more, you get an awesome laptop. :wacko:

Traveling tears up the laptop. Better to get a highly portable and inexpensive one because it will get smacked around.

Edited by Riffraff

Yeah, I still don't get it. Either you have your laptop with you or you have these smart phones that can do all of that anyways. I guess that's why I am not a business man. I just don't get it. For 2 to 3 hundred more, you get an awesome laptop. :wacko:

Every laptop I've ever had has died before it's time. Give me low-power, cheap and durable.

I'm sure they COULD, but do you think they HAVE? I seriously doubt it. :wacko:

in fact...

Well that solves that problem. Thanks, d.

I'm in no hurry to get one, and this may be the icing on the cake that I don't get one. Eventually, but it's not paramount. Thanks all for the feedback! And thanks, Tom for our lengthy chat.